Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Entered my first audax – what to expect?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Just entered my first Audax – the 104km Anglesey Lanes:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-994/

Never done an Audax before (or any other road cycling event), so have no idea what to expect. Does everyone set off at the same time? Do people ride on their own, or more social small groups? Do people ‘race’ (yes I know that’s not ‘allowed’ on public roads), or just go at a steady touring pace? Is food / water available en-route (and if so, do you have to carry sufficient money)? I’ve read that you are given a card which needs to be signed – is this likely to be ‘jersey pocket’ sized?

Any advice etc much appreciated 🙂

fasthaggis

On the ride
    You may cycle in a group or on your own. You must visit control points: service stations, cafes, pubs or hired facilities, and obtain a signature, time and ink stamp on your card. If instead you collect till receipts, make sure that they are securely fastened to your card and numbered, with each control box numbered appropriately. Sometimes you may have to record information at an Info Control so you need to carry a pencil or pen.

You will be fine Sue,stick to a steady pace and just enjoy the day.
    If you end up cycling in a group ,then I am sure some of the regulars will keep you right.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

My first audax was like a race but i later found out that a lot of club riders use it as an early season tester before the season kicks off (it was in March i think) Everyone set off in small groups, i was in a bunch of about 15, 5 of which i knew. You need to be self sufficient, know the route since there’s no signs/directions (unlike say sportives). The card was small, about pack of card size, and was mostly signed in places like cafes and at the top of a long climb out the back of the guys boot. Get food and drink in the cafes/shops next to them when you are getting the card signed. Everyone went at their own pace, most people were friendly and helpful expect for a few. There wasn’t much riding in chaingangs (that i saw anyway), just more bunch riding/wheel sitting.

If you need advice during it, seek out the older blokes who have been riding audaxes for years.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You will have the question, Why do people pay £30+ to do a Sportive when there are these events all over the country? buzzing around your head for the entire route. The card or brevet you carry is a small cardboard thing about 3″x2″, take a plastic bag if you don’t want it turned into mash by rain or sweat. Don’t be fooled by the slightly shabby appearance of some of the riders at the start, many are seriously fast but tend not to be too chatty IME.

scaredypants

expect a couple of teenage lads in footy shirts to disappear over the horizon sharpish

watch your eating – you go fast in a group and it feels quite easy. Until you realise you’ve not eaten or drunk owt for 2hrs. I ate nothing til 65 miles, then had a pasty and chips that sat tight in my stomach the rest of the day, and I bonked after going too fast up a long shallow hill with about 30 miles left to ride

MrAgreeable

Our standard procedure is: arrive at the start just as everyone else is setting off, faff with bikes for ages, get going at a steady bimble, maintain steady bimble until end of ride, finish all the leftover cake.

There are some fast riders but the range of speeds is big: you get serious roadies but also guys on odd things like trikes and recumbents, and touring cyclists getting some miles in their legs. The general atmosphere seems to be very relaxed and these days you probably won’t even be tutted at if you turn up without mudguards.

My top tip is buy or make a map holder. You need to keep a close eye on the route sheet or you could end up doing extra miles. And the road conditions on the ones I’ve done can be quite variable in terms of mud, potholes etc, so expect the unexpected.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks all – i am looking forward to it.

DGOAB / Mr Agreeable – I was wondering what was the score re route finding! So do you get a map when you sign on in the morning? Is this likely to be waterproof, or should I bring a clear map case / cover?

DenDennis
    Free Member

Have fun- you should enjoy it! Bargain.
    Route cards on ones I’ve done are not maps, but turn directions with incremental distance, so you’ll need a computer keeping running or intermediate total of distance travelled.
    Either that or get in a group of people who have done it and know the route (often happens with local club guys).
    Enjoy food and drink, the likes of rice pudding + sponge for 30p or orange squash + biscuits- hooray!
    the information control bit is like a treasure hunt, kind of a way to prove you’ve been somewhere without having a chip or tag.

lucien

You can also expect sweaty blokes in baggy lycra and some pongy people – but in a endearing kinda way – usually a friendly bunch, good atmosphere, good catering, nice routes, always someone up the road or to ride with on the bigger / longer events. Generally, no hint of racing, much more about companinship and riding together.

crazy-legs

I was wondering what was the score re route finding! So do you get a map when you sign on in the morning? Is this likely to be waterproof, or should I bring a clear map case / cover?

Kind of varies – a lot just hand out an A4 sheet of directions which you can fold into 4 so that it’s easy to read one side of it, basically just a list of road names/numbers with TL, TR, SA (turn left, turn right, straight across) etc written on it. Some give out a basic photocopied map. It’s always worth having an OS map of the area with you or even just photocopying it yourself or printing off an overview of the general area from streetmap.co.uk

birky
    Free Member

Thinking about doing one soon. Do you have to wear a helmet? I usually do but my mate never does. Don’t want to get turned away on the day.

Sheriff_Fatman

Been audaxing for years but just started again this year after a bit of a break. I find they’re great fun and a good way to see bits of the countryside you don’t know. Plus they often have lots of cakes and/or visit the best tea shops!
    Normally everyone sets off at the start time, though depending on the size of the field the organiser may split it up into smaller groups (but this is normally something you are aware of when you enter). I’ve found that things tend to break up fairly early as everyone finds their own pace (normally at the first hill) The Brevet card and Route sheet will fit easily in a jersey pocket though it helps to have the route sheet somewhere you can see it whilst riding. Normally there are lots of sandwich bags available to waterproof them. You’ll normally naturally link up with other riders of a similar pace if you want company, or if you’re feeling unsociable, there’s nothing wrong with riding along on your own (although it’s obviously harder!) If you’re in a group, don’t assume everyone knows where they are going and also keep an eye on where you are in relation to the route instructions so you’re not totally lost if you end up on your own. GPS has made life much easier!
    Wear what you like and ride what you like, helmets aren’t compulsory!
    Oh, and enjoy it, it’s an Audax not a race (though many will shoot off at some pace I could never hope to match)!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

An Audax is like a Sportive, just at 10% of the cost and not signed.

I love them due to the more traditional feel. You always see partipants in cafes on the way around and sometimes there are refreshments in a church hall at the end.

My tip – use a GPS with the route plotted in advance – those cards are a PITA

ourmaninthenorth

Last audax I did, I came back looking like this. Enjoy..!

MrAgreeable

Helmets aren’t compulsory and there would probably be outright mutiny if that was changed. Mudguards on the other hand…

Sometimes you have to download a route card beforehand, sometimes they make .gpx files available too. It’s possible to plot your own .gpx from a standard Audax route card, but be careful as they tend to refer to road signs or names rather than grid references.

Take an extra plastic bag for your brevet card too, there’s nothing more embarassing than handing over a soggy sweaty one to be stamped.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Entered my first audax – what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.