Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Entered a local cross series – what tyres for riding cross on an MTB?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

In a pique of madness I’ve entered a local cross series, unless I get a new bike ( unlikely ) I’ll be on my mtb – I’ve got a 2.3 Prince Albert upfront which might be a bit draggy so what should I be looking at replacing it with?
    A quick look on CRC it looks as if it’s going to be Marathon variants for anything less that 2″ for 26 wheel size – there must be something else out there?

richardk
    Free Member

I’ve got some 26×1.5 Continental Cross Country tyres in the garage if you want them (free – just cover postage costs)

skinny

tthew

I used to love those cross country tyres! Really quick, but surely they’re going to be really old and perished by now?

Anyway OP, as someone who also rides the odd CX race (Northwest league) on an MTB, if you accept the fact you’ll be in no way podium bothering don’t worry about the width of the tyre too much, just get something on the faster rolling end of the all-round spectrum. Any places you make up will be down to superior cornering ability and a gung-ho attitude on technical parts of the course* so you want a tyre that plays to those strengths rather than trying to replicate a flat-bar cyclocross bike.

*I just love smashing down slippery hills, getting air over jumps, sliding round hairpins with my foot out etc. when all the CXers are going steady.

Trimix
    Free Member

I do a few CX races on my Jeffsy. I use a grippy front tyre (Minnion or HR2) and a fast rolling rear (Roc Razor)

Basically I find I can out brake and out corner the CX chaps easily, but then a few of them come past on the stright bits. Only for me to out brake and out corner them on the twistys again.

So for me its great fun, always someone to battle against. I dont bother with a result, just enjoy constantly swopping positions depending on the bit of track Im one.

So pick a fast rear and grippy front.

Where are you racing ?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I have no plans to worry the podium chasers this season maybe next year lol.

Trimix – its the West Midlands CX league, I did see that Tim Gould the MTB pro from the 90s raced at least 1 of the races in the series last year.

RichardK if the tyres are in good nick I’ll take them, let me know how much postage would be, and Thank you for the offer.

andrewh
    Free Member

I was going to say 1.%” Conti XCs.
    Shame they don’t do them in 29″ or I’d have some more.

mashr

The whole point in cross is to race in shoddy conditions on a shonky bike, get the thinnest sketchiest things you can find. Being a mover you should be hammering folk on descents anyway

13thfloormonk races an mtb for cross, can’t mind what size wheels he has though

cp

Those Conti XC’s are amazing – use those.

I won a couple of mtb races in ‘winter CX conditions’ on them back in the day. Amazing tyres, would love a 700c/29×1.5 one.

13thfloormonk

13thfloormonk races an mtb for cross, can’t mind what size wheels he has though

Me and many others, I just talk about it more!

29ers with ‘proper’ 33c CX tyres, so I’m no use I’m afraid.

But yeah, I’d just run what you brung, I’ve been passed by guys on full suss (well same guy, twice) and fat bike! 🙁 I think that was actually the race leader on his third pit bike for that race, so it wasn’t his bike of choice.

richardk
    Free Member

Sent you a PM disco_stu

kerley
    Free Member

When is the race and how muddy will it be as the Continental XCs are for mud.
    I would just use something like a Continental Race King in 2.0 or a Racing Ralph as they are fairly quick rolling.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to suggest RaceKings. I’ve got a set of 26″ supersonics somewhere that were intended for a 4X build.

Alternatively, pickup a set of cheap CX disk wheels, depending on your frame and fork you’ll probably squeeze them in.

zippykona

I beat a guy on a CX bike up a hill on my fatty.

So bigger the better!

disco_stu
    Free Member

Its the West Midlands Cyclo cross league and runs from Sept to Jan so I guess it will run from mud free to a mudbath.

Home

Richardk cheers I’ll reply later this evening.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Entered a local cross series – what tyres for riding cross on an MTB?’ is closed to new replies.