Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Enough about Bowie
  • dazh

Didn’t post anything on the official thread as I didn’t want to burst the bubble but I can’t believe I’m the only one raising an eyebrow at the collective amnesia regarding his exploits with Jimmy Page.

grum
    Free Member

No, can’t say I do, so when might that have been?

There might be some logic there. Bowie (and others like him) have contributed to changing the modern western mindset to one where racism and homophobia (among other things) are seen as being not very nice.

Hmm….

konabunny
    Free Member

And nobody outside South Africa would have heard of Nelson Mandela if it hadn’t been for that 1984 pop song by the Special AKA.

I assume you’re kidding.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Man fed up with stuff about Bowie posts stuff about Bowie so he can generate lots more stuff about Bowie …. shocker …

footflaps

I’m surprised FB isn’t offering a Ziggy Stardust filter for profile pictures….

Is he getting a state funeral? I think we should start a petition.

bluehelmet
    Free Member

grum – Member
    No, can’t say I do, so when might that have been?

There might be some logic there. Bowie (and others like him) have contributed to changing the modern western mindset to one where racism and homophobia (among other things) are seen as being not very nice.
    Hmm….

Well he was right, we got Margaret Thatcher shortly after..

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Bowie, great guy etc etc I have his music etc etc

But why oh why do we have Facebook and forum users wailing on about his life and how it saved them? Dribbling on with platitudes as if they really cared or followed him or his life when he was alive. It seems to happen any time someone famous dies.

zippykona

It’s a shame because the real news is Stewpot is no longer with us.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

[/quote]Didn’t post anything on the official thread as I didn’t want to burst the bubble but I can’t believe I’m the only one raising an eyebrow at the collective amnesia regarding his exploits with Jimmy Page

that makes at least two of us—there are one or two others iknow but how revisionism works eh

sorry dazh —got the quotes the wrong way round

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m the only one raising an eyebrow at the collective amnesia regarding his exploits with Jimmy Page

I voiced similar over John Peel. But, no. One may not mention such things.

bigrich

being annoyed by endless coverage is how I felt when Diana died.

at least Bowie reports have good songs and quotes

Klunk
    Free Member

been reports of “death threats” on fb when linking to stories about the 13 yo and the red kimono

RustySpanner

Maybe not when he’s only just died, Flashy.
    Time and place and all that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, when someone dies, we ignore their failings and sins? Gloss over them, sweep them under the carpet? Pretend it never happened?

Or does that only apply to an approved list of people?

That Mugabe fella has a lovely garden, apparently. For example.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

His flirtation with Nazi mythology and Adolf Hitler wasn’t one of his high points either. Although he recognised later much of this was due to the huge amount of drugs and alcohol he used.

grum
    Free Member

Maybe not when he’s only just died, Flashy.
    Time and place and all that.

Hmm, if people weren’t going quite so over the top with their hero worship then maybe. But I think it’s healthy in that scenario to point out that everyone has flaws.

aracer
    Free Member

As an aside (and this is the first time I’ve commented on any of the Bowie threads*), is this the way forwards for the STW forum when somebody famous dies? A thread for people to post “RIP”, one for people to complain about other people not being respectful enough on the RIP thread and a third to complain about the recreational grieving? Seems like a handy way to avoid conflict on here when everybody has a thread with like minded people where they can post what they feel without offending anybody 🙂 Is it something which could also be applied to other controversial subjects?

* I never see the point in posting RIP apart from to demonstrate to other people how with it you are, have managed to avoid most media, so not unduly annoyed by the coverage, and whilst Bowie wasn’t a big thing in my life I did like some of his music and appreciate how significant he was

brakes
    Free Member

His flirtation with Nazi mythology and Adolf Hitler wasn’t one of his high points either. Although he recognised later much of this was due to the huge amount of drugs and alcohol he used.

Yeah, I heard Hitler’s ‘low points’ were due to his excessive use of Mescaline.
    #godwin’slaw

jekkyl

It seems to me the majority of social media posts yesterday were all along the lines of ‘I wasn’t a fan of his work but I can recognise he was great’ (read: not great really but not rubbish either, kind of a bit mehhh)

I always thought there was a touch of the Emperors new clothes about Bowie and his music.

jimjam
    Free Member

aracer

* I never see the point in posting RIP apart from to demonstrate to other people how with it you are, have managed to avoid most media, so not unduly annoyed by the coverage, and whilst Bowie wasn’t a big thing in my life I did like some of his music and appreciate how significant he was

What did we do before social media when someone died? Just tell our wives/family members/co-workers then get on with our day?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There might be some logic there. Bowie (and others like him) have contributed to changing the modern western mindset to one where racism and homophobia (among other things) are seen as being not very nice

Really? China Girl for example… was a piece of misguided crap, that attempted to have a peck at western imperialism but instead came off as the work of an orientalist nonce. It’s so mind numbling cringeworthy, even for the 80’s.

https://books.google.com/books?id=UQ2UBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=david+bowie+china+girl+stereotype&source=bl&ots=nbB0VFxKG9&sig=t4BmfsUp2DwtqVEO8_lGa9gbrS8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzuMDfpqTKAhUT2GMKHZCrDQEQ6AEIMDAE#v=onepage&q=david%20bowie%20china%20girl%20stereotype&f=false

Bowie should have been shot at dawn for simply being a smug, annoying arse who was masquerading as something that he wasn’t (having progressive values).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

before social media

I believe the princess of our hearts died pre-social media didn’t she? Of course, yes, the country just got on with its life.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I see it didn’t take long for the backlash, don’t worry it’ll over be over soon.

I stopped being offended by how much coverage some story or other gets when I managed to get through 2 Royal Baby arrival without seeing a more than a few seconds of coverage.

grum
    Free Member

Of course, yes, the country just got on with its life.

It kind of didn’t though did it. The country almost completely shut down on the day of her funeral and there was weird/creepy mass hysteria and enforced groupthink during that time. Yes I’m being melodramatic – but only slightly!

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but at least you didn’t read about how much everybody was missing her on FB. 😈

squirrelking
    Free Member

Patronising bell eh? Who’dve guessed

Oh come on, when you make such ridiculous comments as

If the passing of Bowie isn’t culturally significant enough to stir the media for hours/days – then nothing really matters.

Then you’re really leaving yourself wide open aren’t you?

Yes, he may have shifted things in his earlier years but in my lifetime (early 80’s onwards) I can’t think of a single noteworthy thing he’s done apart from that equally ridiculous codpiece. He has absolutely no cultural bearing on my life and whilst I respect the fact that for people who ‘were there’ this may be somewhat different he’s worthy of no more media attention than any other pop star.

And as for time and place for bringing up uncomfortable truths, pretty sure folk were saying the same when Savile popped it and, yes, John Peel.

scotroutes

TBF, he probably has in ways you don’t recognise – through his influence on other people and artists. There was an interview doing the rounds yesterday where he was talking about being verbally abused in the streets just for having long hair. Bowie (along with other artists of the era) did help change the scope of what we now define as “normal”.

benji
    Free Member

I believe the princess of our hearts died pre-social media didn’t she? Of course, yes, the country just got on with its life.

Some of us did , long live the republic.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

What a way to find out that Bowie’s died. Hmmmm… STW – you really are unique one.

Hanging out in SE Asia for a few weeks, chilling out, ignoring practically everything that is going on in the world – and click on a thread ‘enough about…’

Sheeeeet. I’m stunned. :-/

aracer
    Free Member

You probably want this thread ned
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/david-bowie

As I mentioned up there, I don’t see why we can’t have this thread as well – most people have been civilised enough not to air the thoughts they’ve expressed here on the other one. It’s hardly the fault of the contributors to this one that the other one has dropped off the front page (or that your only source of news is STW 😉 )

Here’s the third thread I mentioned, just in case you find that more to your taste
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thread-for-people-who-want-to-debate-the-reaction-to-someones-death

copa
    Free Member

Yes, he may have shifted things in his earlier years but in my lifetime (early 80’s onwards) I can’t think of a single noteworthy thing he’s done apart from that equally ridiculous codpiece.

Aye, he’s as important and influential to me as Captain Sensible, Chris Rea, Phil Collins and Midge Ure. He was just another one of those celebs who would pop up on kid’s TV.

He was the prancing idiot from the Dancing in the Street video. A man who, behind the changing fashions, always struck me as a profoundly dull person. Somebody with absolutely nothing to say.

His music represented everything I disliked about music in the 80s. A bland, thin, tinny and over produced noise. Syrupy songs accompanied by screechy saxophone.

And while, I’m sure he was influential. For me, it seemed a bad influence. He was the perfect pop star for the 80’s, a fairly bland and generic product who had understood how to market and rebrand himself.

He was style over substance. The inspiration for the likes of Lady Gaga.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Don’t diss Gaga!

boxelder

[video]https://youtu.be/f4zV4pJ8MwM[/video]

Edit – blimmin youtube

kelvin
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It kind of didn’t though did it. The country almost completely shut down on the day of her funeral and there was weird/creepy mass hysteria and enforced groupthink during that time.

Really? You don’t say! 😀

mefty
    Free Member

Somebody with absolutely nothing to say.

This was one of his great strengths in my view as someone said yesterday of everyone popping up on socal media

Bowie was a private individual who didn’t ever spout platitudes and inanities about everything going on around him. You’d think some of these people would bear this in mind.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And while, I’m sure he was influential. For me, it seemed a bad influence. He was the perfect pop star for the 80’s

Just one second my good man….

Lets take a look at the band that, more than any other, was the rebellion against over produced noise …. Nirvana.

And now lets look at their big break through moment … Live in New York … and one of the stand out tracks that evening…?

The Man Who Sold the World … written by … Bowie, of course

That said, not sure he cared for his later 80’s stuff that much himself.

aracer
    Free Member

But he did say, didn’t he? 😕

You seem to keep posting things you don’t mean, it’s awfully confusing…

bluehelmet
    Free Member

Oh dear, I think it’s OK to complain about the mawkish hysteria that we seem to get when any sleb passes on, but is it really necessary to speak ill of the dead? OK you didn’t like him, why do you feel the need to be here talking about him then, nasty rude <insert appropriate word meaning hopeless person on cycling forum> honestly manners cost nothing at least show some respect, even if you disagree with the volume shown by others.

scotroutes

And we’ll have to go through all this indignation again in a few weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35289998

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Enough about Bowie’ is closed to new replies.