Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • England's Best Stations
  • geoffj

It holds a certain charm..

and my current local

digga
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    If we’re going international then we have to mention this place…

That’s the second Grand Central pic in the thread and no one has yet mentioned the awesome Shake Shack store on the food court, the floor below this main terminal hall. One of the best burgers ever, plus they brew their own beer.

binners

Our station, just down the road. Keeping it old school. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Helsinki station, in the snow when the globes are lit it is magical.

lemonysam
    Free Member

in a similar style to Binners’s last suggestion, I think Keighley’s is rather lovely:

Possibly that’s mostly because I usually pass through en route to the beer festival.

I like our local signal box:

edit: Helsinki station looks awesome!

edit2 our local does alright on the approach front too:

binners

Thats whats missing in these pictures Sam. A nice signal box. Heres the Rammy one

😀

lemonysam
    Free Member

Thats whats missing in these pictures Sam.

Well if you insist, look at this slinky little number…

ElShalimo

Oxenhope is pretty nice

Harrogate must be a contender for the ugliest station prize

Pieface

Surely the worst, so much so that they buried it underground. I think this is probably the best photo of it. I believe that there is a major redevelopment under way, but the platforms will still be a hell hole.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Lovin’ this thread! I really am becoming a right geek!

@geoffj – never expected to see Bromley Cross in this thread – and not sure it merits it either!

That’s the second Grand Central pic in the thread and no one has yet mentioned the awesome Shake Shack store on the food court, the floor below this main terminal hall. One of the best burgers ever, plus they brew their own beer.

and no one has yet mentioned that below the restaurant floor and the train platforms, there is actually many more floors deep underground that even contain a large power station. Quite an interesting read here.

iain1775
    Free Member

^ it was in my 2nd link at top of page 3
    Yours is a fuller story though

butcher

Some of the European ones look nuts. Presumably they have gigantic train stations due to the geography and the importance of rail travel across Europe?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Some of the European ones look nuts. Presumably they have gigantic train stations due to the geography and the importance of rail travel across Europe?

I wonder whether their train operators were just better at co-operating than ours. If you condensed the big london stations into one you’d have a bit of a beast.

ElShalimo

But London is like Paris – multiple main stations that serve different directions so it kind of works

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘England's Best Stations’ is closed to new replies.