Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • England's Best Stations
  • binners

Liverpool Lime Street isn’t too bad either

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you’re right, Harlow clearly take things to the next, desperate, bleak level. Respect.

And that’s before you even see the station.

Badum-tish!

Nobby

st pancras for me.

+1

The only place I ever feel justified in eating at Carluccio’s – upstairs, by the statue & looking straight toward the upper platforms & that roof structure.

gobuchul
    Free Member

One of my favorites Chathill, Northumberland.

djglover
    Free Member

Kennington, out of proportion Dome

muggomagic

Falmer station because of the amazing backdrop.

binners

I’m a big fan of what they’ve done to Salford Central station, which used to be absolutely bloody awful. . Now its a nice combination of the contemporary, and the old features

Love what they’ve done by leaving the exposed brickwork and lighting the tunnels

lemonysam
    Free Member

That tunnel’s ace. The last few years have seen some great station modernisations.

Newcastle’s looks great but I can’t find any photos that show it off well.

has become:

Drac

Newcastle’s looks great but I can’t find any photos that show it off well.

Yeah there’s better photos than that used for the article.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How about the approach to stations?
    You can’t beat this one.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pp6unT]Durham[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

aP
    Free Member

djglover
    Kennington, out of proportion Dome

Kennington is the last remaining original station building from the City & South London Railway which was opened in 1890. The dome contains the lift winding gear, although the station was mildly remodelled in 1923/24 by Charles Holden – which is why its got that cute little moderne entrance a la bottom of the Northern Line stations ie the Claphams.
    Stockwell station was the same but was pretty much completely rebuilt in 1923/24 by Holden and incorporated escalators which chopped the lift shaft in half, and then it was rebuilt in 68/70 for the Victoria Line Extension to Brixton.
    I could go on for about another couple of thousand words quite easily on Kennington & Stockwell if you want… or other LUL stations…

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

How about the approach to stations?
    You can’t beat this one.

reckon?

aP
    Free Member

I like this approach to Dingle Station on the Liverpool Overhead Railway.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Will someone work the linky magic please…

http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/monstat.html

… recently rebuilt on the original foundation.

njee20
    Free Member

Lyon Satolas TGV Interchange

Mmmm, agreed, totally! Saint-Exupery as it now is is an incredible building, made even more mental by the fact it used to have about 5 trains a day, literally! Now has a tramlink into the city and rather more TGVs.

Seeing that pic of the Tay Bridge – you see the row of unused pillars beyond those in use, wasn’t so great if you were trying to use that bridge in December 1879…

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

How about the approach to Tirano?

robdob
    Free Member

I love the beautiful small stations. Big impressive city ones are always great but the lovingly kept smaller stations always lift the spirits.

I went to Birmingham Moor street once – wow! It’s like walking into a museum – it’s beautiful.

butcher

Have never really travelled by train much, but I always admired Newcastle Central Station, even as a kid. There’s not many places have the atmosphere of a train station like that, and I’ll wholeheartedly agree, many images don’t do it justice.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ll wholeheartedly agree, many images don’t do it justice.

Good approach too…

I went to Birmingham Moor street once – wow! It’s like walking into a museum – it’s beautiful.

…and it sits brilliantly in its context standing up against some of the most iconic buildings in the city.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Funny but I’ve just read that the station master at Aberdour retired today. Always worth watching out for on that line

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Aye ok, Newcastle’s canny an all. Not as good as Durham’s though but.

Drac

project
    Free Member

Stroud,
    Wrexham,
    Shrewsbury,
    St Pancaras,
    Huddersfield,
    York inside,
    Liverpool south Parkway
    Liverpool Lime Street
    Manchester oxford road and victoria,

A great read is British historic railway Buildings quite expensive but should be in a library and in my bookcaser

martinhutch

Not many of your stations have this feature though…

Dent, on the Carlisle/Settle…many a long hour has been spent here having slogged up the Coal Road and just missed the previous train…

iain1775
    Free Member

Had a soft spot for Cromford since I stayed there on a Cub Scout weekend back when the old station house was used as a youth hostel
    Now that I live locally it’s the start point for some excellent riding around the area
    But architecturally the building’s proportions are perfect, and I like the way the trains pop out of the tunnel straight to the station
    Glad to see the waiting rooms restored, I dream one day I will have the chance to buy it and live there

Before it’s restoration it was made famous by a certain Manchester band

And another one of similar age and style, where my wife’s Aunty once waved her bloomers 🙂
    Oakworth

somafunk

Dunno about british stations as the last time i was on a train in this country was 32 years ago for a 10th birthday trip from dumfries to london to go to the national history museum (which was amazing).

As for international stations it is pretty hard to beat Victoria Terminus in Mumbai, an amazing building, 2million people a day pass through it

ourmaninthenorth

As much as I like many of the OTT Victoriana structures on display, I really do love Mcr Oxford Road.

And, in spite of spending so much time passing through there, the main hall of Euston remains a favourite piece of architecture (indeed, the whole station is superb).

OMITN (fan of concrete)

nickc

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Somewhat predictable but I’m plenty fond of GMV and ‘The Worm’ – a spooky old Victorian tunnel (now derelict and closed off since 1970s) which once afforded 1st class passengers privileged shelter from the rain and direct access to The Imperial Hotel.

shermer75
    Free Member

Faded glamour: Michigan Central Station, abandoned since 1988. Once the tallest station in the world!

athgray
    Free Member

On a tangent, how about a bus station?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_bus_station

I have only seen it in pictures. Intersting to hear local opinions but I like the look of Preston Bus Station.

ourmaninthenorth

Preston Bus Station is wonderful!

so pleased it’s been listed. Might go and see it at Christmas.

hot_fiat

More International: kleine scheidegg (Jungfraujoch bhan side with the so/so backdrop)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Since it’s gone all international, how about Liege?

I like some smaller ones too- someone’s already said Ribblehead, and some of the smaller ones in Scotland are nice too.

martinhutch

neilthewheel

Berlin Hauptbahnhof:

chakaping
    Free Member

If we’re going international then we have to mention this place…

lemonysam
    Free Member

International ones eh?

Frankfurt’s quite impressive:

aP
    Free Member

How about the Hauptnahnhof Berlin by Architekten von Gerkan, Marg und Partners?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘England's Best Stations’ is closed to new replies.