England-Wales-England – 1300 mile race – starts July 15

Home Forum Bike Forum England-Wales-England – 1300 mile race – starts July 15

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • England-Wales-England – 1300 mile race – starts July 15
  • ChrisE

Well done Aidan for setting this up and Good luck to all. I hope many people turn up on the line. I do worry though that it is specifically for nutters and that it reads as if an entrant that cannot or will not break their balls is discouraged from doing it too. I would love to do this (or the TD and other stuff) but would be pushed to make the 150% time rule. Maybe a perosn who is less able, old or whatever could put in as much effort as a top racer and in my opinion should be able to take part.

Good luck though!

C

Aidan

Bringing Divide-style racing to the UK! We start tomorrow (July 15) at 8am.

EWE is a 1300 mile self-supported race from Plymouth to Newcastle, visiting Dartmoor, Exmoor, The Quantocks, The Brecon Beacons, The Long Mynd, Cannock Chase, The Peak District, North York Moors, Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, and Kielder.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.aidanharding.com/ewe/

And follow it with live satellite tracking here:

http://www.trackleaders.com/ewe

Aidan

Hi Chris,

Thanks!

Regarding the elitist nature of it, this kind of thing would probably be impossible if you had to see permission from every land owner who thinks they deserve to be notified. We can kind of dodge the issue by keeping the numbers (and therefore, the impact) small. So, when there is a “mass” start, it is good to prevent that from becoming a big crowd.

Nothing to stop people from riding it by themselves (ITT) or in a small group on any other date if they want to go at a slower pace.

ChrisE

I’ve been doing Transalps and stuuf like that at a rate of about 2 a year for the lat 8 or 9 years plus coast to coasts, wales/england/scotland 3 peaks, Pyrenees med-atlantic and the like but normally dropping onto mountain huts etc. I can thoroughly recomend being alone or as a pair for 10days, in the mountains, ‘fending’. There’s nothing that compares. I’d like to see the UK taking more part in this kind of thing. Go to Austria or Italy in summer and its packed with germans/swiss/austrians/french doing just that thing.

hopefully UK will be THE cycling nation in a couple of years!!

C

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

You got 3 riders.. You’re no Pat Adams are you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Great idea and top job in getting a route lined up. ~3 weeks for average riders (ie having a half-decent kip at night)?

Good luck fellas ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon Mal-ec
    Subscriber

This looks ace. Good luck.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Good luck to all. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aidan

You got 3 riders.. You’re no Pat Adams are you?

I think I had 10 riders at one point ๐Ÿ™‚

At least no-one’s going to accuse me of having expensive entry fees!

Aidan

hopefully UK will be THE cycling nation in a couple of years!!

An American was asking what the riding will be like and it made me realise what we’ve got over – incredibly diverse riding in quite a small area. Which is fantastic!

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Just thought I would give this a wee bumpity bump. ๐Ÿ™‚

No doubt they’ll be looking forward to some better weather!

glupton1976

I love this kind of thing. Well done on getting it all set up and running.

ChrisE

What are they doing so far off course tonight? Have they gone to Headings house?

C

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘England-Wales-England – 1300 mile race – starts July 15’ is closed to new replies.