Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • England a third world hell hole
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Im not sure about the democracy bit.

For goodness’ sake.

martinhutch

Obviously, we’re not allowed to call countries ‘third world’ any more, it’s ‘developing countries’, thank you.

I wonder if a new category of ‘regressing countries’ will be invented for the UK post-Brexit as we hurtle backwards into the 70s?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

PM leads the largest party with support, MP’s have the option of a vote of no confidence. Our head of state is purely a ceremonial position which avoids the even more complex idea of having a head of state who is elected to run the country in a different direction to the rest of the elected representatives.

You forgot the bit about Her Majesty’s Party whips…

And Rupert Murdoch n chums…

(Funnily enough, Rupert Murdoch was a big player in the Aviation industry)

stevextc
    Free Member

Along with 99.5% of the UK population…

Yes but you’d think that for a desk SPECIFICALLY for Russian / Ukranian speaking destinations it would be a requirement.  FFS it takes half a day of someones time to learn enough cyrillic to read a visa.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I spent a while commuting to Moscow, I know which airport I prefer, and it’s not Sheremetyova!</span>

It’s not exactly a high bar though…. which is really the point.  At least the signs are accurate if you can read cyrillic.  I’d rather be setting a bar somewhere like Germany or Denmark that saying “Oh its better than Russia”

They shouldn’t have done that, unless it was the manual check next to the electronic gates – in which case I can sort of understand it

For my 6yr old It’s not something would worry HIM in the slightest but the point is they shouldn’t have ..

In the same way like they told the Norwegian woman I was chatting to EU passports only…  when she queried the EU only sign… it just creates chaos…

I’m sure both of these could be resolved by escalating to a supervisor… but my point about just getting stuff correct when we are talking about airport security etc..

ajaj
    Free Member

“I’d rather queue than get blown up”

If I were looking to kill lots of people, I’d detonate my bomb in the queue of 1,000 people waiting for security checks rather than on the plane containing 100 people. And since I wouldn’t have to worry about my bomb being too heavy for my luggage allowance, I could have a real big one that I’d move on those handy trollies that you get at airports.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A well known nationalist and racist I expect he preferred trains to flying.

kerley
    Free Member

as we hurtle backwards into the 70s?

Wish we could, great times when people were happiest and equality was at it’s best.  Unfortunately Brexit will be taking us back to 1950s

chrismac

We have an unelected prime minister, party in power because of a bribe and and a head of state in power because of an accident of birth. Sounds more like a banana republic

PM leads the largest party with support, MP’s have the option of a vote of no confidence. Our head of state is purely a ceremonial position which avoids the even more complex idea of having a head of state who is elected to run the country in a different direction to the rest of the elected representatives.

I know how it works. My point is that we have no say over who is prime minister, which party governs us. We vote for an MP who can then sit with any party they like and change party as many times as they like without the need for involving the electorate.

Our head of state does still have lots of power, its only convention that they dont use it.

It was only in 1963 that the Queen unilaterally appointed  Alec Douglas-Home to be the prime minister.

The monarch can still appoint any one they like as prime minister

The monarch has the power to dismiss a prime minister

The monarch doesnt have to give royal assent to any legislation if they dont want to. Without it the legislation can not be enacted.

The monarch can grant pardons to any convicted person if they want to

It is the monarch, not the government, that chooses to recognise any new countries

The monarch also has the power to annex territory, as was done in 1955 with the island of Rockall. Once territory has been annexed, the monarch has complete discretion as to the extent to which the government will take over the former government’s liabilities

I accept it is highly unlikely that a monarch would use them. But they do have them and it seems crazy to me that they even could use them in a democracy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK then….

https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2017

This tells me a lot more than a bunch of hypotheticals

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

I always have to go through immigration check in the non-EU/UK queue whenever I came back to UK so queuing for hours is the norm for me.

The last time I lost my old passport with all my necessary stamps on I was “interrogated” by the immigration officers for hours until the airport was nearly empty.  No big deal really.  Just chill as I was not in the hurry.

😀

cornholio98
    Free Member

Completely illogical security procedures. Pointless and often useless tech in that process.

The procedures are to make you feel safe not to find anything. Well unless the guy is really 💩

oddly when I fly through USA I had to use 7 little trays to comply with their system. It was 1 in Israel and I can guarantee they were a lot more thorough… mind you I flew from US to Canada and no one check my passport except the girl on the gate.

Also if traveling throug Gatwick ang heathrow makes you believe it is third world don’t ever fly through Rome, Paris or any actual third world airport…

epicyclo

chrismac

…It was only in 1963 that the Queen unilaterally appointed  Alec Douglas-Home to be the prime minister…

If you want to add to lists of the powers used by our so-called ‘ceremonial’ monarch, don’t forget she dismissed an elected Australian govt in 1975.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t forget she dismissed an elected Australian govt in 1975.

She as in the crown?

Or really a political stalemate was resolved by an election that was forced.

Anyway as many things show the UK is not a banana Republic is it. As I sit on efficient public transport, in a place where I can vote for multiple levels of representatives who govern. We have an independent judiciary  rights to appeal and all those things you don’t get in failed and developing nations.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

ditching the rational that is Schengen

We’re not in Schengen.

Brexit happening faster than anticipated shocker.

funkmasterp

It’s a terrible place to be is the UK. This morning I had to walk about twenty feet to get a drink of clean water, tragic. Then I had to go downstairs in my insulated, warm house to get fresh food for breakfast from my well stocked fridge. It’s horrendous, every day is such a struggle.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘England a third world hell hole’ is closed to new replies.