Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Engineering part – does it exist? What's it called?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I thought this would be a simple thing to find – 12mm stainless rod, 175mm long, tapped M6 at either end. I can buy the blank stainless for pennies, but drilling and tapping 30 of them is beyond my equipment – I did get some made by a local engineering company for £25 each.

Does this exist? Thanks!

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s called a Cooper Rod. It’s named after the inventor.

There’s a place near me that’ll make them up as a special order for £25 each. 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

I would call that a female-female-standoff eg https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/screw-machine-products/spacers-and-standoffs/standoffs/female-female-standoffs but I doubt you’ll find one that large and especially that exact size off the shelf. Easy job for a chap with a lathe

thenorthwind

Sounds quite specific – I think you’re unlikely to find that specific length, that specific OD with that thread, or in stainless, in an off-the-shelf part. All 3? Slim to none.

Can you assemble it from standard parts? e.g. threaded bar cut to length, with threaded couplers, bushes and locknuts.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cheers – I have a lathe and a tapping head, but drilling 60 holes in stainless makes me tempted to just pay the £25 each 😀

I hadn’t thought of doing it with threaded rod and spacers, that’s an interesting idea – I did consider 12mm tube with rivnuts in the ends, that’s how I do some other parts.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I can’t see that being an off the shelf part, but I think the price is pretty steep, are there other places to get quotes.

How about buying tube with a nominal 5mm ID, tapping that, then sleeve over with some larger tube, a few tacks to hold them together or drill for some pocket welds if it needs to be more robust.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Well if it was a male part, it’d be called a stud; as for what the female equivalent of a stud is…

Anyhoo, think you might find something similar described as a tie rod.

Jakester
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    I would call that a female-female-standoff eg https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/screw-machine-products/spacers-and-standoffs/standoffs/female-female-standoffs but I doubt you’ll find one that large and especially that exact size off the shelf. Easy job for a chap with a lathe

I am delighted that on that website there is something called a ’sex bolt’…

bencooper
    Free Member

I am delighted that on that website there is something called a ‘sex bolt’…

I’m going to have to work out how to incorporate those into something now…

bencooper
    Free Member

A resolution – putting it here just in case anyone else needs such a thing:

https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302289370/

€17.53 each. and M8 threaded so not perfect. But promising.

stevied
    Free Member

Can you find 12mm Ø with a 5mm hole? You would only need to tap them then..

I could see how much my place would charge to make them?

molgrips
    Free Member

This is interesting. I need something similar for a fork mod.

richmars

Misumi are pretty good. You can customise lots of standard designs, change holes sizes, plate thickness etc and the prices aren’t too bad. (Compered with getting it made locally.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Engineering part – does it exist? What's it called?’ is closed to new replies.