Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Engerland FC: is it me? or are they really that dull?
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

What is it about watching England play footie on telly? is it just me? is it any better in the stadium than it is on TV?

even when they beat someone 5-0, I can’t watch for more than a couple of minutes without my attention wandering.
    Is it the commentary, or perhaps the crowd (or lack of one?) rattling around New Wembley (TM) like a pea in a drum?

I seriously can’t remember enjoying watching England play. And no, I didn’t see the 5-1 win over Germany (10, 11? years ago?), if I had, that might have been the last one

fatalbert
    Free Member

You only have to think back to the Olympics where for the most part Team GB excelled in all expectations, and gripped the Nation. Then it came to these household name soccer players to have a bash and it sort of went ooh humm bugger!

TheWrongTrousers

No, they really are that dull. What’s the attraction in football ? I just don’t get it, I’d rather watch ANY other sport.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

Well you have to be into the game to start with… I’m normally well into my footie, just not England.

As soon as Ken Bates sells up, I may start going to Elland Road again, occasionally. no season ticket here though

Coyote
    Free Member

Fatalbert summed it up for me. After watching the Olympics, World Cup DH / World Champs DH and other events I am really struggling to get into football again.

Oh, and stopped watching Ingerland after they couldn’t be arsed trying in South Africa. I’ve not seen a reason to watch them since.

yossarian
    Free Member

Watching England has been painful for decades. I recall watching us in World Cup qualifiers back in the eighties, usually abroad, when only the agility of Peter Shilton kept us in many a game.

The weight of expectation seems to stifle our players. Confidence disappears, passes go astray and usually talented and expressive club players lose their way. Such is the pressure. The only tournament that was enjoyable to watch was euro 96. The shackles came off and we actually got results from playing without fear. Why? Many reasons. The FA structure, the press, the fans and the influence of the premier league all have a part to play.

We seem to produce powerful, talented and intelligent youth players. Something happens in their late teens and early twenties that destroys some of those qualities. I hope the new FA centre and change in approach from Hodgson will address this, but I’m not holding my breath.

If football in England were to adopt coaching methods used in other sports, such as rugby, cycling etc we might see some long term change. It won’t though.

trailmonkey

We seem to produce powerful, talented and intelligent youth players

i think part of the problem lies in this. we produce big strong athletic youth players who flatter to deceive as at that level braun trumps brain. they’re soon found out once they step up to senior level. as an example my own club (villa) have a superb youth team tradition but an appalling record at progressing those players to be real achievers at senior level.
    we need to start coaching youngsters to play not to win.

pete68
    Free Member

I agree, they really are dull and uninspiring. Can’t blame lack of crowd either,there was over 85,000 last night. Unless tickets were really cheap I don’t why you’d go and watch a non event of a game against San Marino. I’m not a footie hater either,just can’t be bothered by England any more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey now, you could be a Republic of Ireland fan. 🙁

I get the feeling that the three hammerings at the Euros have done a lot of damage to a previously resilient side. Letting 6 in at home against even the Germans is just shocking.

loum
    Free Member

Qualifiers always have been hard work to watch, especially the early ones in the qualifying campaign. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve fallen asleep watching so don’t even bother now.
    90% of the time, most teams are playing to avoid defeat. Only really get interesting at the end of qualification when there could be something resting on the final game.
    It’s not really a relevant comparison to the olympics or any other “finals” event. More like watching out of competition athletics 2 years before the Olympics, were the most interesting achievement might be a pb.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Had a similar discussion at work Friday afternoon….

Work colleague couldn’t understand why I wasn’t excited about watching the match on tele…

I explained that I just found the approach dull and unimaginative.

No snappy passing, no one making space to receive a pass, forcing the passes to be 25 yards + rather than 10 – 15 with less chance of giving ball away, so then asked what I thought score would be …
    I reckoned on 6 – 1 but said it should really be 7,8 or 9 – 0 but England lack the guile to open a packed defence and imagination to work out how to do it

Just can’t get enthusiastic about watching England.

With you on the Mighty Whites though JD, get rid of Bates and welcome the crowds back

MOT

Garry_Lager

deadlydarcy – Member

Hey now, you could be a Republic of Ireland fan.

I get the feeling that the three hammerings at the Euros have done a lot of damage to a previously resilient side. Letting 6 in at home against even the Germans is just shocking. Ideally Trap should do one after Tuesday’s game. Players aren’t playing for him anymore. Not sure how feasible this is wrt the FAI having to pay him off, but it’s going to be a brutal qualifying campaign if he stays.

I’ve not seen a truly good England game for beards – Euro 96 probs. International football is pretty mediocre in general, though, IMO. Some great sides come together now and again but these are the exceptions to a generally dross standard.

binners

I love watching football, but decent football. Which rules England out straight away. I haven’t bothered watching international games for a while, as I couldn’t bring myself to support a squad with Cashly Cole in it, and John Terry as captain.

The actual football England play is, at best, mid-table championship level. Which is ok if that’s the standard you’re used to watching I suppose

bloodynora
    Free Member

^^ Gloryhunters… Gotta love em 🙂

ds1
    Free Member

is it any better in the stadium than it is on TV?

Yes! Went to the new Wembley for the first time last night and it is magnificent – very inspiring and a proper temple of football. £25 for a seat in the top tier. Well worth going at least once!

And, seeing the match was so completely once-sided as to have no actual football tension, the atmosphere was good.

edhornby

the prem teams begrudge having to release players to the national team

prem teams condition players for the prem and the international season is at odds with this

we will never get to a world cup final in my lifetime

yossarian
    Free Member

^^ Gloryhunters… Gotta love em

😀

I watch and support at div2 level. There’s so much more to it eh?

binners

What? So you have to watch crap, second or third rate football to be a ‘real’ fan, do you? Enjoy your England games then 🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

I smell prawns

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Engerland FC: is it me? or are they really that dull?’ is closed to new replies.