Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • "Engaged" with a driver today.. didn't go well
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Shitty commute on the bike today.. Got hung out to dry by a woman in a Beetle as she overtook me with nowhere to go (as I was keeping pace with traffic in a 20 zone) and then squeezed me into the curb/hedge when a car come the other way.. ended up slamming brakes on to avoid getting squashed/crashing. Good start.

Steepish downhill section in a 30 and I’m shoulder checking well ahead of the right turn I need to make before signalling. Driver of a *** off massive Nissan 4×4 overtakes me maybe 40mph on a blind bend very close slams her brakes and takes the same right as me before joining a queue of 10 cars or so.

Thought I would try the STW method discussed on here and after she wound her window down I said “Excuse me, you really scared me back there”.. She just shouted at me to “Learn the Highway Code”.

Pretty ironic given her dangerous pass on a vulnerable road user.. At that point I tried to explain that it was her responsibility to safely overtake as she sped off at which point I (regretfully) screamed a few nasty words at the top of my voice (much to amusement of several schoolkids).

I can only assume that she took offence to me trying to take primary ahead of a right turn or that she was in the line of 30 cars at the end of my road that I’d filtered past 5 mins earlier.

I don’t even know why I’m surprised anymore.. This seemingly well to do middle aged lady in her 17 plate 4×4 thought it acceptable to glance past me in 2.5 tonnes of metal because in her view I don’t follow the highway code. It’s just incredulous – If I’d starting braying her with a brick I think the law might have something to say. Need to get cammed up or just start driving again FFS. Rant over.

devash
    Free Member

Primary position is your friend.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Chances are, she commutes the same route every day.
    Get on eBay and buy a stinger!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chill.

I don’t let stuff like that on my commute bother me, as these people consider themselves to be in the right, no amount of ‘discussion’ will change them.

As long as at the end of the day, I’m safe, I know that the likes of her will still be an arsehole.

nickewen
    Free Member

I do need to chill out a bit.. but it really does boil my pee. These people just HAVE to get past as quickly as possible no matter how dangerous and just see cyclists as a nuisance when in actual fact I’m doing the bloody mouth breather a favour by leaving my own lump of metal on the driveway and therefore reducing traffic into the city centre.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Should’ve chinned her. That’d learn her.

nickewen
    Free Member

I do try to take primary when appropriate but I don’t think it would have stopped this idiot – she happily went on the wrong side of the road not knowing what was coming anyway. Stinger sounds like a pretty effective revenge tool!

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have been a roadie for years and years. Its this kind of attitude towards cyclists that has made me return to MTB`ing. I am much happier in the woods away from the A holes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t shy away from telling dangerous drivers when they put me at risk.

Often get abuse, but I like to think that’s just an instinctive reaction and they might actually modify their behaviour in future.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve taken to just saying “thank you very much”, but sometimes the “n” is very “soft”.
    What usually makes them drop their eyes and think about it is when you ask what your children are going to do when your wife has to tell them “daddy isn’t coming home because he’s been run over by someone who was too impatient to wait 5 seconds”.

oldnpastit

I have been a roadie for years and years. Its this kind of attitude towards cyclists that has made me return to MTB`ing. I am much happier in the woods away from the A holes.

Cyclists who do this, and yet also have a car which they could be using to clog up the roads with, should be entitled to a generous discount on their road tax(*).

(*) yeah, whatever.

jekkyl

didn’t you listen, learn the highway code you scum cyclist. 🙂

**smile and move on**

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a very close pass from a learner on Saturday, pulled up to have a word with the responsible adult supervising who told us not to ride 2 wide, it probably looked that way as I was riding the primary and my mate wasn’t. An explanation of safe passing followed, I was about to suggest we head to the police to discuss road rules when the lights turned.

If I computed regularly I think if have a camera.which is a shame

Yak

As Nobeer says – chill and let it go.

I had one on Sunday morning. Only a short section of road in an otherwise all off-road ride and I had a RH turn. In primary and had a car behind. Looked, signalled and moved out to the middle for the turn, then one final ‘lifesaver’ look over R shoulder and the knobber in the car was there, hard on my R gunning it to beat me to the turn just for a few seconds. I didn’t chill, and gave it all the hand signals, then got a PR up the next hill 😈 🙂 .

DezB
    Free Member

Camera is worth it – if only for the ha! I could put this twonk on Youtube for public humiliation! You normally don’t*, cos you’re over it, but the option does seem to help make light of the situation.

*unless of course, you’re one of those types “HP34 GXP – Close PASS!!” 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it helps to look at the driver and make eye contact, rather than just looking for their car. As if to say ‘do you mind if I pull out here?’

Seems to be effective. Perhaps not on these aresholes, but maybe.

DezB
    Free Member

Actually, this reminds me of a “chat” I had with a woman driver a while ago.
    Overtook me before, almost on, a 90deg bend in the road (not a junction), which bikes can easily go round faster than cars. I caught at the next junction and pointed out how bad her overtake was, causing me to brake so as not to get squashed into the kerb. “What should I have done?” she demanded! “You could’ve slowed down and waited til I’d gone round the corner” “Well so could you!” she yelled, moronically.
    Something about them (you know *whispers* wimmin) – really don’t like being told their driving is bad.
    Not all of them, I might add – I have had more apologies from wimmin than fellas. 😀

D0NK

This morning, doing about 25 down a hill just as we hit the 20mph zone I was overtaken by some dick who then pulled over and slammed on his anchors. Then almost immediately boxed me in against parked cars coz he had to stop for oncoming traffic and about 30ft later parked up. Soooo many unthinking idiots “Must get infront of cyclist!”

Often get abuse, but I like to think that’s just an instinctive reaction and they might actually modify their behaviour in future.

I admire your optimism sir!

No doubt first response, even when someone knows they are 100% in the wrong, seems to be “**** you”, dunno if they have a think about what they’ve done later, gotta say I’m doubtful

tinybits
    Free Member

I honestly believe that almost all car drivers, in much the same way as the vast majority believe that their driving is above average, do not for a second think that an overtake like that is endangering you at all. It’s not a ‘right’ to be in front, it’s just that your slower, they’re faster, therefore they’ll squeeze past and the obvious retort to ‘that was unsafe’ is that you weren’t hit, so clearly it was OK. I don’t agree with that, but I don’t think for a minute that it’s ever going to change.

Ladders
    Free Member

All we are are moving bollards to them.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have started to follow aP’s choice in ‘discussions’ and point out that my boys would no longer have a father if they had killed me with their lack of consideration for a vulnerable road user.

though yesterday’s ‘discussion’ along these lines with a lorry driver I got told to F*** off…. and that he gave me ample room..
    he really really did not and cut back in early as well.
    in 5 years of commuting this route, it is the first time I have properly had panic that I was going to get hurt. (massive adrenaline spike)

his company has an email now I have calmed down. I doubt they will educate their drivers.. but the least I could for others sake is try.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

his company has an email now I have calmed down. I doubt they will educate their drivers.. but the least I could for others sake is try.

Decent companies do, health and safety applies to driving and ignoring problems with their staff is a big problem if something goes wrong. The one man bands maybe not but a cc to your local copper/reporting address will help.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i once got so angry at an addison lee driver who nearly t-boned me, i raced after him, caught him at the next set of lights on park lane – he wound down his window to start, i lent in took his keys and rode off! no words from me were said!

I still feel bad about it today – red mist is a terrible thing!

kerley
    Free Member

Primary position is your friend

And who is my friend when drivers still overtake me on blind corners when I am already in primary position?

Last Sunday a man beeped and pointed to his head suggesting I was mad after he had to go completely onto the wrong side of the road to overtake me on a combined blind corner and blind brow of a hill.
    I actually drove along the same bit of road yesterday and saw what it was like from a drivers perspective and it was probably the worst position to overtake anywhere in my area (and I live in an area of narrow roads and many blind corners). You would basically have to be a moron to even think about passing someone.

This sort of thing happens at least once on every ride and I really don’t know what you can do about it.

tenfoot

Saw a new highlight in stupidity on Sunday night. Someone overtook me on the wrong side of a traffic island, instead of waiting 5 seconds for me to clear it.

Craziness.

amedias
    Free Member

Saw a new highlight in stupidity on Sunday night. Someone overtook me on the wrong side of a traffic island, instead of waiting 5 seconds for me to clear it.

I have seen this exact thing happen, with the added stupidity that the driver also hadn’t looked ahead and realised there was a queue of cars, so was also now on the wrong side of the road with queuing cars on his left, oncoming cars approaching and nothing to do except come to a skidding stop and reverse back round the island and onto the correct side of the road. lucky for him the driver following him had seen what was going on and left room for him to do so.

The bonkers bit about that is that if the island hadn’t been there he might have just done a close pass instead and plowed into the back of the queuing cars instead of ending up on the wrong side of the road!

The guy had clearly just been in ‘must overtake cyclist’ mode, and not even looking a cars length ahead, when stuff like that happens you just have to despair!

globalti
    Free Member

A large number of drivers don’t give any thought at all to what they are doing; they just rely in being able to brake or steer out of trouble. Obviously the trouble is never their fault.

chakaping
    Free Member

The maddest thing is when you are riding up to a blind bend, on a blind brow in secondary because surely nobody would be stupid enough to overtake there.

Then a Range Rover does so, leaving you an exemplary amount of space as it crosses entirely into the opposite lane.

crazy-legs

I never get involved. It’s just not worth it. At no point is anyone going to say “gosh you know what, you’re totally right, I was driving like a ****, thanks so much for pointing that out, I’ll mend my ways immediately”

Absolute best case is you might get a “sorry”. Everything else is a downward spiral from there ending in the point where you get deliberately run off the road. (like that recent case where the guy motioned for the woman to stop talking on the mobile and she followed him, ran him down then drove off.)

The guy had clearly just been in ‘must overtake cyclist’ mode, and not even looking a cars length ahead, when stuff like that happens you just have to despair!

Most drivers are incapable of looking beyond the end of their bonnet. The number of overtakes I get when they need to brake / stop 10 yds ahead is unbelievable.

DezB
    Free Member

like that recent case where the guy motioned for the woman to stop talking on the mobile and she followed him, ran him down then drove off

Actually he spoke to her because she had pulled out on him due to being on her mobile. But beside the point. Thankfully, there aren’t many psychos like that around.

eshershore
    Free Member

Had it on Friday in London NW whilst riding home

Cycle lane blocked by a big delivery van (Camden Council built a loading bay in the cycle lane!)

so I ride on the highway next to it. its a speed controlled area with 20mph speed limit, I’m bang on 20mph.

A car comes up fast behind, beeping horn, revving engine until I “get out of the way” which meant her trying to overtake dangerously between me and a traffic island, misses my right arm by a foot, I shout “give me some space here”.

She then screeches to a halt (in the road), gets out, horrible aggressive woman screaming, splitting, swearing “I’m gonna get my man merc you!” effting cyclist c**t,….etc.

I amazed how angry she is…

3 young children in the back of her car. She then drives off through the red light, nearly hitting another car. 2 witness come up to me, they’ve seen it all, want the Police?

I thank them but tell them not to bother as it happens all the time

DezB
    Free Member

it happens all the time

Gotta love that London!

downhillfast
    Free Member

Was out riding in the Yorkshire Dales at the weekend and the number of drivers who happily overtook me on blind country road bends made me cringe.
    All to save them a minute or two.
    I guess if a car had come towards them on the bend they might have managed to stop in time, or more likely swerved left to avoid the oncoming car, probably turning me into a pink paste between car and drystone wall 🙄
    When driving I’ve actually had other drivers behind me get irate with me for waiting for a safe spot to overtake a cyclist in front.
    It’s not just motorists, it’s the population in general which is in moral decline imo.

kerley
    Free Member

I never get involved. It’s just not worth it. At no point is anyone going to say “gosh you know what, you’re totally right, I was driving like a ****, thanks so much for pointing that out, I’ll mend my ways immediately”

Absolute best case is you might get a “sorry”.

Agree, although not always easy to avoid a hand gesture which can lead to car stopping, pointless argument etc,.
    Still waiting for the first person to say “sorry”

amedias
    Free Member

All to save them a minute or two no time at all whatsoever.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I gave someone the **** sign yesterday morning on my commute to the station. First time in 18 months of doing it…

When I first started commuting by bike, I thought I’d be waving and drivers on a daily basis.

scaled
    Free Member

Me and the lad nearly got taken out this morning 🙁 We were just rolling on down the road when someone pulled out of a side road on our right and pushed us into the kerb.

She’d pulled over further down but only because of the look of horror on the pedestrian that was walking towards he’s face.

She apologised but when you’ve just nearly run over my 2 year old that doesn’t really feel like enough

finbar
    Free Member

I don’t try and reason with drivers who nearly kill me anymore, but if I get the opportunity (and I’m in a particular mood) I’ll just leap in with as much as abuse as possible.

I particularly like (if there is someone in the passenger seat) “is that your wife/husband? No wonder you’re so angry”.

martinhutch

Was out riding in the Yorkshire Dales at the weekend and the number of drivers who happily overtook me on blind country road bends made me cringe.

Was driving from Swaledale back to Skipton on Sunday behind a load of day-trippers and some of the passes I saw were shocking – no consequences because no-one happened to be coming. And it gained them zero time on me whatsoever, even when I had to wait for a minute or so to get past safely.

Trouble is, every time they get away with it, it reinforces that this is OK in their minds.

Got beeped for waiting 20 seconds to overtake a rider approaching a blind crest. 🙄

Driving standards around the Dales are pitiful.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Driving standards around the Dales are pitiful.

FTFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘"Engaged" with a driver today.. didn't go well’ is closed to new replies.