Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Enfield Bullets
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Anybody ridden one? Especially the later ones. I rather fancy something different and wonder what people who actually had to live with them thought. Part of me fancies the original engine jobbies as it a known quantity but equally the newer engine is probably a touch more sophisticated and more reliable. Hmmm
    Your thoughts please.

bounce

Rode one for a week in India 20 odd years ago, it was grim. Dog slow, terrible brakes – my mate’s Yamaha 100 was far better in every way. But if you’re after a plodder, I guess it has a certain (remanufactured) olde worlde charm. I’d go for a genuine vintage classic instead.

Pigface
    Free Member

Concrete mixer on two wheels

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dad’s had several, they’re a hoot.

Yes it’s got no more power than a modern 125, the brakes aren’t much better and the suspension is bouncy. But that’s pretty much the point.

If you wanted something “far better in every way”, you’d get a car.

benp1

In India I could see it being pretty cool (see Our Guy in India)

But over here? There’s some much better options, just get a Bonny

RustySpanner

Love ’em.
    🙂

Ridden a few of the modern ones a couple of years ago, only lack of garage at the time put me off.
    Wouldn’t want to keep one outside.

Not a retro, basically a new old bike.
    Really amusing to ride if you can cope with the motor.
    Feels light and great fun to chuck around, but runs out of steam very quickly and vibrates like a bastard if you try and nail it.
    I wouldn’t bother with motorways.
    Finish a bit variable but they get better every year.

Would be great as a short range commuter and weekend toy, but you’d have to keep on top of it.

Lots of shiny one or two year old well looked after ones around at big savings.

We went to DC Classics in Cowling. who were very helpful.

kayla1
    Free Member

My OH had one for a while and he loved it. We went out one day, him on the Bullet and me on an SZR660 (following, in case anything dropped off or broke on the Enfield… ) and I never needed top gear despite his bike throwing all sorts of shapes in the bends 😆 It was pure comedy watching him chucking the bike around.

edit- the old engine ones smell lovely, all hot metal and grease 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But over here? There’s some much better options, just get a Bonny

One’s a liquid cooled 900 or 1200cc twin costing ~£9k (and a classic one could cost a fair bit more), the other is a air cooled single that costs £4k. It’s not really the same.

RustySpanner

Tried a modern air cooled Bonnie.
    Not keen, despite loving the looks.
    Kind of reminded me of a 400 Superdream, a bit souless?

I think the new Enfields are a bit pricey now.
    We were looking at mint, one owner, dealer serviced bikes for just over a couple of grand.
    About the same a new 125, so a decent comparison.

I’d love a Guzzi V7 if I had time to ride one.
    Getting down to that price now, more versatile and a bit nicer I reckon.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

174 grain PPU are my choice or if I’m feeling flush then Sierra Match King.

I’ll get my coat…..

epicyclo

I used to ride one of the original Enfields. Well made bikes, very tunable.

The drum front brake was always crap compared to other drum brakes of the time.

It couldn’t go round corners like a Velocette though.

My understanding is that several improvements were made to the Indian model, eg better steel in the rockers etc.

The bike is simple, but if you know what you’re doing, ie some experience with an old British bikes, then it should be a perfectly good ride.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Enfield Bullets’ is closed to new replies.