Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Energydrinktrackworld?
  • allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ve used SiS for years but always felt it tasted a little chemically so I’m looking for a change. I’ve got Hi5 Zero tablets for hydration and they seem to work. Are their energy drink mixes good too or is there a brand the hive mind on here swears by that I should try?

scotroutes

The only one I’ve ever got on with is Torq

boombang
    Free Member

Hi5 energy drinks encourage passing of stools, in liquid form and without amy choice as to when.

SiS always been my solid go-to option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    goby

I get on with the active root ones love the ginger!

simondbarnes

Torq

13thfloormonk

I got on well with Torquay during some ferocious temperatures and long rides in Spain 2 yrs ago, zero bowel disturbance…

Have used since, but weirdly I can’t use it for long easy rides up here in balmy Scotland as it makes me need to pee too much, think you need to be working hard or sweating!

stevie750

I find rich energy to be the best. You can get it in all the shops in brigadoon

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Torq for me, never had any gastrointestinal issues with it.,

stox
    Free Member

It’s Been a while since I needed anything in a bottle for cycling (haven’t cycled far enough) but for long runs I’m a huge fan of Mountain Fuel

oldnpastit

I stopped using energy drinks after seeing what they did to the teeth of my ex-racing greyhound, now sadly deceased from severe gum disease and tooth decay.

mcnultycop

I’ve been using the Stealth Training flavourless powder and its spot on.

johnnystorm

Vimto for me.

mcnultycop

To be fair, I mix the Stealth stuff with Vimto.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy plain maltodextrin in bulk from Bulk Powders or similar. It’s extremely cheap, and you can flavour it with anything you like – I use orange squash. Tastes much much better than SiS.

A tenner for 5kg:

https://www.bulk.com/uk/maltodextrin.html

Just looked at Stealth Training – £8 for 500g, compared with £1.64 for 500g on Bulk. Seriously, Stealth?

Torq is maybe a little bit better if you are on a flat out race, perhaps because of the fructose, but you can buy fructose just as cheaply, and also electrolyte mix. But it’s even more expensive again. The only issue with mixing your own fructose/malto and flavouring with squash is that the results end up pretty sweet. Not a problem with plain malto though.

white101

Tapoline

mcnultycop

I’ll give that Bulk stuff a try next time I’m buying. Looks good.

lunge

I’ve always struggled with energy drinks. I tend to use gels for energy and use High5 Zero or similar in bottles.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

OTE pink grapefruit tabs are my favorite.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve used all the Hi5 products, energy drink, gels all without an bowel issues.

Bazz

I always found the Zipvit one the most tolerable, that said if i do need an energy drink i’ll make my own, 100ml fruit juice, 20g dextrose topped up to 500ml with water, gives a 6% carb solution with a 2:1 ratio of dextrose to fructose. If it’s a particularly hot day then a tiny pinch of salt as well.

Sanny
    Free Member

Ribena or Rose’s Lime Cordial for me. I have never craved an energy drink!

And of course the classic bottle of Coke or Pepsi. No point in pissing about with anything else when I get the bonk!

allanoleary
    Free Member

Just ordered a 500g bag of Bulk hydration mix to try. If it works with my gut and bladder then I’ll buy a bigger bag. Thanks for the tip @molgrips

airvent
    Free Member

Can of monster energy with a couple of pro plus ground down and mixed in

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip @molgrips

I would go for plain maltodextrin if you are worried about stomach upsets. It’s not salty, not sweet, not flavoured, it’s completely neutral and very easy to drink.

You can also read the ingredients (published and discussed so not secret) of the best recovery drink and then buy the stuff to make it yourself from Bulk Powders for about 1/3 the cost.

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’m not concerned about stomach upsets…. I tend to have an iron gut thankfully. I was more hoping that something cheaper would come up and thanks to you it did.

ampthill

I use SIS Go

£19 for 1.6kg on Wiggle (40 bottles worth so around 50p a bottle). I’m ok with the lime. Price doesn’t seem to crazy. I can see that mix your own would be cheaper

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Energydrinktrackworld?’ is closed to new replies.