Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Energy suppliers who don’t insist on smart meters?
  • the-muffin-man

My current deal is at an end, but looking at what the meerkats can offer all the cheapest deals have a condition that you must have a smart meter installed to get the deal. And I see… a) no need, I use what I use and b) that I have to waste a days holiday for installation.

So who doesn’t require smart meters?

clubby

Bulb?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Previously I have just agreed to have one installed …..but made it impossible for them to book an appointment with me to get it fitted.

Sorry neither of us have bookable holidays we have shifts that we don’t know more than 1 week in advance so if you want to visit my house I will require maximum 1 weeks notice and a confirmation call the day before as we also get called in to cover short notice…..all tripe

I’ve not got a smart meter yet and I’ve never been kicked off my tarrif

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

Just looking at Bulb now – they seem cheaper too! So result! :o)

alanl
    Free Member

I changed last month to OVO, partly as they support cycling, mostly as they were the cheapest. They asked if I want a smart meter, I said no, they havent bothered me since.

dogbone

Pure Planet haven’t asked we get one.

jam-bo

Octopus don’t. PM me and I’ll give you a code that’ll save both of us £50

cp

Bulb here too. They’re very good so far, been with them for nearly two years.

Our meters are in the cellar with not a cat in hells chance of data signal, so no smart meters for us for the foreseeable.
    Bulb are ok with that.

I’ll pm you a referral for 50 quid – use it or not up to you.

Edit – oh, I can’t pm you. Pm me if you want it.

the-muffin-man

Bugger – just seen your message cp! Switched to Bulb 30 mins ago.

And the PM thing – there were some spam message going round a month or so ago so I block messages! :-/

cynic-al
    Free Member

As I say on all these threads:

Don’t rely on the commercial (or TV advertised) comparison sites.

Look at CAB or Which to show you more of the market – the “more” being cheaper suppliers like Bulb who don’t pay referral fees

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware there’s no legal obligation, so none of them can insist out right. However, certain tariffs might only be offered to you if you have or agree to have a smart meter.
    I’m with Utility Point at the mo. and been with many others, never been required to have a smart meter to get cheapest deal. Only tariff I’ve looked at that requires a smart meter is Octopus Go Electric tariff, but it’s a special tariff for someone who owns an EV (electric car).

deadkenny
    Free Member

Problem is government pressure for the waste of money ridiculous roll out for a functionally useless system and the incentives they give to the companies. That and the fact the older smart meters are an advantage to them in being a lock-in.

Current company have stopped claiming my old (not that old) meter is downright dangerous and smart meter is the answer and finally said I just need the meter replacing as it might not be accurate and not mentioning smart meter (finally). Fair enough in a way, but then again it’s really not that old (digital meter and I still see plenty of old dial types working with no issue).

My main problem is don’t want smart meter for reasons of increasing costs to pay for them and open door to personalised peak charging, plus replacing the meter full stop means having to wait in and I’m expected to pay a non-free number to book the appointment. Also I don’t see why I can’t just submit readings still or not even bother and let the lazy bastards actually come round and read it for once in a while. At least I’m keeping someone in a job.

singletrackmind

Octopus user here
    Very happy with the switch over and service
    Email reminder to submit reading monthy, then auto generated bill within an hour. I pay £45 pcm for combined gas and leccy
    No dramas or penalties if you don’t submit . Keeps both sides up to date with usage and costs, and therefore very easy to see if you are under or over paying

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I recommend joining MSE Energy Club. I also use CAB as an alternative comparison.
    I don’t use the meerkats or their likes.

Only supplier I’ve been with that I wouldn’t recommend is Eversmart Energy.

I think it’s worth knowing your actual yearly usage for a more accurate quote and to set your monthly payments

Utility Point (recommended pm me for a ref code) who I’m currently with have made no mention at all of smart meters.

the-muffin-man

I pay £45 pcm for combined gas and leccy

£45 a month!!! Have you tapped into your neighbours gas and leccy! 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t use meerkats use money supermarket energy club. It’s better and was recommended by a few on here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Good to see the usual bolloks being spouted 😂

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I’m currently with Tonik Energy cheapest I could find without any fixed term tariffs. They will take any meter point and haven’t pushed a smart meter on us. They push green energy too, using 100% Renewable for electricity and 10% green gas with the rest carbon offset.

The industry will be more competitive when faster switching comes into play.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

not even bother and let the lazy bastards actually come round and read it for once in a while.

I highly recommend not doing that.

Your rear is much more covered if you submit readings, in the very likely event that the supplier fails to properly organise a drinking activity in a brewery, and then hugely overcharges you using some fantasy figures.

when faster switching comes into play.

how much faster are you expecting it to get?

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

how much faster are you expecting it to get?

Eight days is the claim.

footflaps

Coop energy here, no smart meter.

They email me asking for a reading 2 weeks before each quarterly bill.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don’t use meerkats use money supermarket energy club. It’s better and was recommended by a few on here.

I think he means Money Saving Expert (MSE) Energy Club

damascus
    Free Member

Slight hijack. I’ve been looking at switching but all the cheapest quotes are from companies I’ve never heard of before. I know you get electric and gas from the same place so it makes no difference but I don’t want to sign up to a mickey mouse company based abroad who sells all my personal data and has no customer service.

I avoid the cheapest car insurance quotes too.

So, help me save some money, which is the best company to use outside the big six?

Thanks

Ps I don’t have a smart meter either but I know I have to get one eventually.

richmtb

I’m with Bulb.

Switched form Scottish Power, who are a shower of useless muppets. Chased me for 75 quid to close my account then sent me a cheque for £105 because I was in credit!

Bulb are cheaper, they have a nicer website, you pay up front, they have a single tariff and its easy to alter you payment amount.

Their electrons and methane molecules seem as good as anyone else, they just cost about 10% less.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Damascus, I’d say look on MSE forum, pretty much every supplier has a thread on the Energy sub forum titled “add your feedback on energy supplier X”. You can scroll thru and read the general chat about the supplier you’re considering. The other side of that is it’s often the whingers who post not the people who are happy, so maybe try to find the balanced reviews within. maybe look at other reviews as well ie Trustpilot. Perhaps as a generalisation, if there’s masses of pages of feedback it probably means lots of customers with issues. However for me, it totally depends on how good the price is as to whether I might consider going back to a supplier I don’t recommend or a supplier I’m wary of. If the price is right I’m prepared to put up with some hassle.

From first hand exp. I wouldn’t recommend Eversmart (unless they are quoting really cheap), from chat on MSE forum I’m a bit wary of Outfox The Market.

sadmadalan

And on a related topic. We are currently with SSE – who a useless. But we are PV cells on the roof which we claim through SSE. If I switch suppliers do I need to change from SSE for the payments, or do I just stay with SSE for the PV and someone else for our leccy and gas?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up BA, that’s the one I meant. The reviews of each provider are very helpful.

kcal

Peoples Energy, they are offering a smart meter but not – as far as I’m aware – insisting upon it.

bsims
    Free Member

@TINAS – you’ll like this bit of bollocks. I changed suppliers again last year and when told about about smart meters, I said “we have had this before the gas and electricity meters are too far apart” (gas on far side garage wall, elec on other side of house). The lady on the phone said “that won’t be a problem with the new generation of meters”.
    “Excellent” I said and we arranged an appointment to fit.

The guy came round to fit the smart meter, took one look in the electricity box (which is outside) and said “ the smart meter won’t fit in there with the RCD box”. Not heard from them since, still can’t get a smart meter fitted!

bigyinn
    Free Member

You don’t have to take a smart meter. SSE called to offer me a smart meter 3 days after I’d sorted a switch to Pure Planet. I politely declined.

I do love the fact that Smart meters are touted and an energy saving tool. No they’re really not, they’re there to make it easier for the energy company to get their readings, thats it as far as I can tell.

bigblackshed

As said above, Octopus.

No insistence of smart meters and if anyone wants a referral code pm me. £50 each credit to our accounts.

the-muffin-man

No they’re really not, they’re there to make it easier for the energy company to get their readings, thats it as far as I can tell.

…and if you believe the tin-foil-hat brigade – in ‘the future’ they will be used to force variable pricing on customers when demand is highest. And control supply.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I do love the fact that Smart meters are touted and an energy saving tool. No they’re really not, they’re there to make it easier for the energy company to get their readings, thats it as far as I can tell.

That’s a bit narrow minded, Octopus Go tariff and Octopus Agile tariff are completely reliant on smart meter and potentially can save the user hundreds. Certainly I worked out Go tariff would save me around £400pa over a traditional tariff / method. Agile tariff is currently a bit of an unknown, but in theory when it’s say sunny / windy you could even be paid to use electricity.

PrinceJohn

My energy company Co-op we went with because they were cheap & now all our electricity comes from renewable resources.
    Not sure how they can push only renewable energy to our house, but I trust them…

They did try to push a smart meter on me, I told them Saturday is the best day for me & after about 3 or 4 calls to arrange a visit during the week they suggested I call them when I know I’ll be in during the week. I may have lost their number.

chewkw
    Free Member

Me with Bulb (I think I have smart meter?) as the landlord used them for gas and electricity.

Was looking around but it was Bulb who kept chasing me up so signed up with them to see how it goes.

They told me to read the metre then to submit the reading via email then they gave me the bill to pay online or call them up.

jamesco

OP. I’m with Bulb,daughter switched to them on my recommendation but forgot to use referal code, I got cross with her, she phoned a couple of days later to explain to the admin, they said ‘no problem’ and credited us both fifty quid , so it’s worth a phone call…… my reference if you wanna try it is.

jamesco

PS , No smart meters and they accept a photo of hard to read meters ???? plus supposedly renewable sourced power ?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Yorkshire energy for me. The company do not have any smart meters so will never ask you.
    Although I would switch tomorrow if I could get my main meter fitted outside for free.

Clover

Why don’t people – ie you – want smart meters?

I know that it could usher in more dynamic pricing BUT we (as in the country) can end up turning on power stations for short periods of time just to cover 30 mins at peak (4-6pm) which is really expensive and generally highly carbon emitting. So if we can manage demand a bit better we will be less reliant on gas and coal stations – and dynamic pricing is one way to do that.

Beyond smart meters, I’ve seen a few various trials of technology that allows people to sell back to the grid when the dynamic market prices reach a certain level (ie peak demand) either from batteries or electric vehicles. They’re proof of concept trials at the moment so not widely or commercially available. I’d be interested in that – but then am I an outlier or are other people interested?

Cougar

Why don’t people – ie you – want smart meters?

Paranoia and tinfoil hat conspiracy theories, mostly. Oh, and they give you cancer or cat AIDS or something. Because, y’know, radiation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Energy suppliers who don’t insist on smart meters?’ is closed to new replies.