Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Energy Rating for old white goods
  • pedlad

I know I know…..inefficient, carbon footprint etc but Mrs P won’t do without….at least until the boys (and me) stop putting half their dinner down their front every meal….

Current old, twice-repaired, tumble dryer needs a new seal, which is a surprising amount of money to just self-buy to fit. Whilst I’d usually rather poke my own eyes out than spend money on white goods, I’m wondering if a new one on black friday is a better bet, especially if it also saves the rest of the spend difference in energy saving….e.g. a B rated new one Vs this old one.

The problem is there’s no indication of it’s energy rating for comparison when searching on google or looking at the manual. Does anyone know if there’s a database of ratings going back some years for comparison?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’d say ignore energy ratings, no way is building a new one and shipping it halfway around the world better than keeping an old one alive which uses a little bit more electrity.
    However, whether it is practical/economically sensible to fix is a different queation.
    Also, if you’re that fussed about a carbon footprint a washing line will be much more efficient than a tumble drier, or a Shiela Maid for wet days. Have you got somewhere to hang either?

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/difference-between-energy-ratings/

Unless your current one has a 2 stroke motor attached or is powered by steam – its a certainty that your purchase cost shall not be offset by the savings over a typical lifespan of white goods.

johnners
    Free Member

I’d say ignore Black Friday, the chance of making a meaningful saving on something you’ve a real need for is low. Make your decision based on repair cost vs extra life you expect to get out of your current drier. And as andrewh and trail_rat say, unless you’re drying epic amounts of clothing you won’t be seeing your purchase price back in improved efficiency.

pedlad

Thought that might be the answer. I’ll just buy the seal and cross fingers/blame you lot when the old one breaks next week ;->
    Was just interested in how much more efficient a new one would be over the 10 yr old one.
    ps – we do have a clothes maid (and washing line) and already dry a lot of stuff in the warm utility – where all the underfloor heating starts from – just not enough capacity for all the stuff there when the weathers not good enough for the outdoor line.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could get a plugin power meter, and measure the actual energy use for each device. Or switch everything else off, then watch your smart meter.
    If you check the specs for a new one, it should tell you the energy consumption is KWh. That is usually more helpful than just the rating. Though it would depend on the use, ie a bigger load would be more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Energy Rating for old white goods’ is closed to new replies.