Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Energy Gel Flavour Ideas
  • bramleyborn
    Free Member

I’ve yet to have an energy gel that I wished would disappear as quickly as possible on its slow gloopy journey down the back of my throat. My powers of imagination tested to the full as I concentrate on the packaging imagining the flavour described, lemon, lemon, lemon, rhubarb & cream, rhubarb & cream. Instead just tasting of a vaguely chemical abhorrent concoction.

So manufacturers why not stick to the unnatural flavours we know and love. We all know they taste vaguely like cough mixture so why not make them in cough mixture flavours? Who doesn’t like Buttercup Syrup, Pholcodine or my personal addiction/favourite as a youngster, Benylin.

Problem solved and you would feel instantly better to boot!

willard

Funny you should mention that… My favourite for a long time was the strawberry and bannananaanananana one from Powerbar, but I was advised to try Torq rhubarb and custard. Quite frankly, anything would be better than that vile blackcurrant flavour, or the SiS strawberry. That made me retch.

As for nice flavours, what about going savoury? I think a roast beef and horseradish gel would be quite nice on a long ride.

benji
    Free Member

The banana blast from High5 is rather pleasant.

100mphplus
    Free Member

After 2 -3 hours of swallowing sweet gloop, the one flavour that a lot of riders always mention when I am out on endurance rides, (albeit we are all of age 30+), is Marmite!!

Straightliner

The Mule Gel cafe cortado is less sweet than many others, which makes a nice change. Not quite ‘savoury’ though!

LoCo
    Free Member

Cornish pasty flavour? 😯

timidwheeler

Ham and cheese bap?

iolo
    Free Member

Warm and salty?

rewski
    Free Member

Amyl nitrate

Northwind

I like the High 5 summer fruits. 4 parts fruit flavouring, 1 part chip fat.

A friend of mine told me that energy gels were invented solely so that straight men can learn what it’s like to swallow. And hey, saltiness is good in a gel, right?

njee20
    Free Member

Torq Strawberry Yoghurt ones are absolutely fine IMO, verging on nice.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Calpol!

singletrackmind

MINT! especially for those from Newcastle

Kryton57

So manufacturers why not stick to the unnatural flavours / smells we know and love.

Creosote? Freshly cut grass?

nickdavies

I can cope with most of the gels, but I thought i’d try some of the rego stuff from SIS when the offer was on during TdF.

My god, it’s like drinking wallpaper paste mixed with perfume… There was not a trace of the ‘vanilla’ flavouring promised!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I find the GU ones taste like cake mix, in a good way.
    Steak pie flavour would be good

brack
    Free Member

Zipvit cherry beetroot yum

jameso

Snake oil

terrahawk
    Free Member

chocolate Clif gels are great.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Cooking lager flavoured gels must be an easy enough chemical concoction to formulate.

MSP

Apple and ginger would work.

tomhoward

Sausage roll?
    Fish and chips?
    Pie, mash and peas?

On a more serious note… Salted caramel and at least one savoury one (iirc someone does a pretzel flavoured one)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Kebab

seavers
    Free Member

Pant kebab?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Badly packed kebab?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Energy Gel Flavour Ideas’ is closed to new replies.