Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Enduro1 – Forest of Dean afterglow
  • carloz
    Free Member

Loved it today – it was wet, hot and very muddy, but I had an awesome day, met loads of really great people and had a barrel of fun on the trails. Big thanks to Carlos and all his crew who stood around in the rain to make it happen.

boxxer7
    Free Member

2nd that! Had a great day and everyone was friendly. Looking forward to swing how I did.

Anyone know who the photographers were?

carloz
    Free Member

I only came across the photographers at the end of stage 5 on that knarley drop. I was a gurning muddy mess by that point and saw on of them start to raise his camera and then put it down again when he saw the state of me!

p7rich
    Free Member

Had a blast today as well. Course was great. Thank god a lot more gravity was introduced after Stage 1! A little wrong turn in one stage was my only wrong-footing. Still hopeful of a top-half finish. ❓

PS. Photos will likely be on Roots n Rain before too long.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I thought it was great. The stages were brilliant, but was it just me who couldn’t get stage 1 to flow? It just seemed very stop-start. The others were all brilliant. Stages 3 and 5 were highlights. The drifty corners on 5 were so much fun! 🙂

The only downer for me is the results not being up for a couple of days and there being no podiums, but hey, it’s only a grass roots event.

I’m also interested in who the photographers were. I’d appreciate knowing it so I can buy some photos.

kimbers

yup another satisfied customer here, stage 4 transition time was tight, I only made it by a few seconds

some great sliding moments too!

p7rich
    Free Member

I’m also interested in who the photographers were. I’d appreciate knowing it so I can buy some photos.

Assuming they appear on R&R, keep an eye out here:

http://www.rootsandrain.com/race1748/2013-jun-16-x-fusion-enduro-1-2-forest-of-dean/

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Ahhh. For some reason I didn’t think the Enduro1 results appeared on R&R so I didn’t think the photos would either. Cheers.

treemagnet
    Free Member

Yeah, really enjoyed that one too(bar stage 1) …no offs either! 😀
    Missed a sign on way to stage 2 so had to go back and make sure the marshall got my number …that was a long transition!
    Good friendly atmosphere, weather not bad either … Fun day!
    Cheers to Carlos and everyone who helped.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I ache all over!
    Really good fun, I liked the loooong transition from 1 to 2, some nice bits of singletrack.

Again BIG well done to Carlos and team, course was very well marked out (first round was ok,but today was soo much better)

Good banter with other riders. Think I sleep well tonight!

superfli
    Free Member

Great work on the course Carlos. I loved the stages, only wish stage 1 was further in – takes me some time to warm up and those corners into uphills caught me out! The rest of the stages were spot on, lots of steep loose descents with tricky roots to negotiate. Made a few mistakes on not being too sure where I was going until late, messing my lines and momentum up, but hopefully most were in same boat.
    Got cramp again, been getting it a lot recently. Mate recommended loosening my top knee strap (fairly new knee pads) – worked a charm! Wish I had done this before 🙂

nickhead
    Free Member

A good day. Really good course – hated most of stage one, but reassuring to hear others had similar problems. Big smiles at the end of stages 2 and 3, grimace at the end of 4 and relief at the end of 5

Good tip about the cramp/knee pads – don’t usually wear them and was surprised to be suffering with cramp after just stage 2, despite the uber-transition.

You know it’s a good day on the bike when you barely notice the rain

thanks to all the crew – excellent work

paul123
    Free Member

Agree with all of the above. Felt so slow on stage 1 but the others were great. Had a big moment off the drop right at the end of stage 4 I think, just kept it together though.

Well done Carlos, so much work involved in getting it all together.

Were most of the trails newly built or pre-existing?

bedfordrd

Thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday (#57). Transition times were just about right, trails were great, the company, banter and camaraderie brilliant!

And it was so much better than Round 1! Much more manageable. I think I only fell off 4 or 5 times yesterday – that’s about ten times less than on Round 1!

Looking forward to Round 3 now. 🙂

dlr

Great event, never ridden so bad as on S1 lol! Others a bit out of my comfort zone steepness wise and my racing ralph on the rear wasn’t the best choice!!! 😀

Loved the transition to S1, less so that climb up after 4!

Really liked the event, only other one Ive done was the UKG at Afan earlier this year, that was less technical but much longer stages with more pedalling which I personally prefer but then its transitions were just fire roads so its nice to have a mixture of events out there

So glad S1 was the team one though, could imagine total carnage if it had started on S2 or something! Would have been nice to have repeated S1 individually at the end perhaps?

scottfitz
    Free Member

I liked it. Hope i can do round 4. Look forward to seeing the time. A really good mix of trail. Fell off 3 times, It was slippy fun 😀

markhw
    Free Member

Top Event again, only one crash on Stage 3 Head butted a tree and broke my Helmet peak off, the climb on stage one hurt, Stage five was a blast.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I must be the only one that enjoyed stage 1, it caught so many out by the sounds of it. A couple of stages were quite steep but there seemed to be enough grip if you went with it. Bedfordrd was 1 person in front of me, always interesting to put names to faces!

Looking forward to the next one now, even contemplating the UKG at dyfi now, think I may have the bug!

carloz
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Stage 1 too, but I did get a heads up that it was ‘a bit peddally’ from friends who’d just completed it as I was waiting to start 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It wasn’t being pedally that caught me out on stage 1, more that because lots of the corners were tight and flat or slightly off camber, it was hard to carry speed round them.

There was some good banter flying on the way round. Cheers guys. I was #53.

@boxxer7- Unfortunately, you won’t be able to get an entry for the UKGE at Dyfi because it’s already sold out.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Damn didn’t see that bit!

andyrm
    Free Member

Absolutely awesome round – Stage 1 was savage, caught plenty of riders (including me!) unawares so spent the second half of it breathing through my a*se!

Stage 2 was my favourite, really good, but 4 was good too, super fast pedally madness.

One of the photographers was a mate of a mate – just waiting for a FB link to images and I believe he is due to talk to Carlos about the pics so will keep you posted

🙂

lbjones
    Free Member

Yeah, good day out, I had a bit of a shocker by all accounts, broke the chain twice and had some serious visibility issues with goggles/tearoff issues which ruined stage 1, oh, and had a heavy OTB on a steep section of stage 4 where the high line I thought would be quicker had a tree across it! Wasnt expecting that….

Highlights were 2 and 3 for me, short but loads of fun. Pity it wasnt drier as reckon the trails would have been super fun faster but you cant have everything.

Still, made all the transitions which I was happy with and only the one real off so all in all cant complain. Cant go up steps today due to brusied hip but thats what lifts were invented for (wasnt it?)

trusty

I loved it, better than last year’s I think. Stage 1 was looonnggg… but fun in a hard work kind of way. Stages 2 and 3 were superb and 4 and 5 were fun but a bit pedally again. A very good day though. There’s a cracking OTB to faceplant clip on the FOD facebook page, where someone got a drop on the transition from 1 to 2 very wrong. I was no 61, so hi to bedfordrd and boxxer7!

sharki
    Free Member

Great feed back.
    I sadly wasn’t riding it,but I was there laying out the course, looking after registration and generally looking after things whilst Carlos was out checking the course and Marshalls.
    Two days to mark the course out and we got it all down by 3 today.

Having marked the stages and then seeing the state of some of the corners and sections put a satisfied and devious grin on my face.

results take time to go up because all the data needs to be inputted by hand, by Carlos.

The three main people taking photos were a wife of rider 150, I’ve got her details, so hopefully will get some pics from ber, I’ll post up beer a link when I get one.

A chap from Jersey who pulled out due to injury, I suspect he’s the mate of a mate as mentioned earlier in a post.
    The other guy was from roots and rain, so look there.

Very jealous to not rise the course, but I did manage to run some of it on foot whilst holding imaginary bars and pulling some serious shapes.

🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Also, a few items were found on the stages and parking area. So if you’re missing something, contact Carlos as he has them. Don’t expect a prompt reply though as he’ll have a mountain of e-mails to go through, not to mention the huge task of data imputing all the times.

I know what’s been found so if it’s urgent, mail me the description of what’s missing and i’ll let you know if he has it.
    Please note! No personalities were found, so if you lost yours, you’ll need to get a new one… 😆

Mbnut
    Free Member

Enjoyed it even though I rode like a right charlie….

A big thanks to whoever found a Garmin on S3 and handed it in to the marshal at the end of the stage… I guess we both came off at the same bit!!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Thanks for helping out, Sharki. We wouldn’t have been racing if it wasn’t for people like you. 🙂

p7rich
    Free Member

Looking forward to some photo links. Still nothing on R&R.

sharki
    Free Member

Few pics here.
    X Fusion enuro event
    I’m not sure if Vicky has more to put up. She’s away now for a week.

Tom white was another. And likewise, he’s not back home for a few days, so expect a delay in the pics coming up here.

trusty

Some good pics on Vicky’s site, and one of me! fame at last…

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

Shame there arent more pics – the last event had at least 2 proper photogs there snapping away.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just had a look at the pics how are some of you so clean?

Or is it Because the QECP Boys are love the mud so we go looking for it 😀

Rupert “huck to flat” Peddle
    http://elegantandwild.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/X-Fusion-enduro-EVENT-pictures-by-Victoria-Dawe/G00001QB246TXXR8/I0000RyGmNBdjQ6A

Scott “You need to stop Mincing” Fitzgerald
    http://elegantandwild.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/X-Fusion-enduro-EVENT-pictures-by-Victoria-Dawe/G00001QB246TXXR8/I0000eb5DQKa2iD4

kimbers

scott missed you again but definately see you at the QECP enduro!

scottfitz
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    scott missed you again but definately see you at the QECP enduro!

I was just thinking that. You sure will, Expect longer stages 😉 And shorter Transitions

dlr

I’m doing that one as well, saw the rules thing on facebook yesterday saying practise in the morning which sounds great!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m doing that one as well, saw the rules thing on facebook yesterday saying practise in the morning which sounds great!

Yep made that decision because there are a couple of feature that aren’t rollerable plus it makes a bit more of a day of it (The endurance bit)
    Here are some rough stats for you the Race will be 17km, 1600ft of climbing and 3h10mins long. So if you want to practice the whole track then double the stats 😉 If you only going to practice one stage I subject Stage 1 is the best one to do.

dlr

OT: Cheers for that, presume 3hrs 10 is with fair bit of faff and waiting for stage starts etc, should be able to spin round it 2.5hrs or less at a moderate rate? I will see. Certainly this FOD one wasn’t much of a fitness test compared to the UKG at Afan and I could have done a second lap so might do a full practise one at QECP

Hope there are chicken lines if you can’t roll some bits heh

scottfitz
    Free Member

OT sorry guys:

OT: Cheers for that, presume 3hrs 10 is with fair bit of faff and waiting for stage starts etc, should be able to spin round it 2.5hrs or less at a moderate rate? I will see. Certainly this FOD one wasn’t much of a fitness test compared to the UKG at Afan and I could have done a second lap so might do a full practise one at QECP

Yep 2.5 at a medium pace. You couple practice more if want or have an extra hour in bed 😉

Hope there are chicken lines if you can’t roll some bits heh

Yep slower chicken lines.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Enduro1 – Forest of Dean afterglow’ is closed to new replies.