Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Enduro – Winter training
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

My mind has turned to winter training for next years season

Was reading this and found it quite interesting.

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331644388920/dan-atherton-s-mtb-enduro-training-tips

Though it doesn’t mention anything regarding strength and core gym work which I guess would be needed as well.

Any thoughts or tips on training plans?

njee20
    Free Member

but this is you’re last chance to work on the parts YOU need

AAAAAAAAGH!

Seems reasonable, it’s not really a plan is it, it’s a vague idea of what you could, in some vague periodisation. Seems reasonable, it’s not that different to what I’d do for XC or road racing!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

they neglect to say that he will do most of that training on a road bike

thomthumb
    Free Member

great for fitness. what about skills?

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a month of upping your rad quotient.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well last year I didn’t really have a plan.

Oct and November I did some strength work along with cardio classes in the gym and 1 MTB ride at the weekend.

Same at December apart from Christmas/New year that involved eating a lot of food no gym and some MTB rides.

January and Feb I was doing some spin classes more focused weight work in the gym then my weekend rides got quite long 75km at the chase.

Then I read that these mega rides were not the best training that I should focus on shorter ride that I push harder on so I did that in March.

April onwards

Monday – Cardio class
    Tuesday – Strength work weight in the gym
    Wednesday – Short 90 minute ride
    Thursday – Strength work
    Friday – Rest
    Saturday – Longer ride 20 miles in peaks or chase
    Sunday – short ride 90 minutes

EDIT

thomthumb – Member

Yeah I’m focusing on different skills during my rides, at the moment I’m focusing on cornering.

Will have a coaching session or two as well thinking of BPW as well

dirtyrider
    Free Member

and what happened?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well I broke my Wrist in May that put a downer on things however I didn’t feel that great physically.

njee20
    Free Member

So you did some riding, which didn’t seem to work, then you got injured?

Handy post!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    So you did some riding, which didn’t seem to work, then you got injured?

Handy post!

Actually got any training tips or suggestions?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

didn’t do enough riding

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to do a montage

fr0sty125
    Free Member

What 80s music should I use?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Given it’s rad I reckon some Def Leppard

Paceman
    Free Member

Any thoughts or tips on training plans?

Carry on riding what you normally ride, you’ll find you’re much faster on it come next summer when its dry again. There’s no better training than riding your bike, particularly when the bar is raised by wet conditions, bad weather etc. (Def Leppard will also help on the darker days 😉 )

dazh

Unless you’re aiming for a high level, I’d suggest you just ride your bike lots (probably much more than you think is necessary), don’t over-eat and avoid getting injured. This works for me, but then again whenever I do races it’s more for the fun of it rather than actually trying to place highly.

MussEd
    Free Member

They’re called Edits in enduro

Anyway just do what you did last year except breaking yourself. Ride the bike as much as possible, practising different elements rather than just thrashing out 75km rides for the sake of it.

If you are serious* about and have the discipline** don’t sack it all over Christmas and New Year….*** Good Luck.

*I am not

** I certainly do not

***No chance for me

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t know about Enduro but I got faster than I was last year by doing the following:

– Rode more, and rode consistently.
    – Rested when I felt too knackered. But not too long, just a day or two off the bike.
    – Rode with some mates who are much better bikers than me.
    – Rode in different places when I got bored of my local trails.
    – Kept an eye on my food and weight.

I did use some sort of periodisation, and specificity of training increased closer to races/main goals.

MussEd
    Free Member

Rode with some mates who are much better bikers than me

That’s a good one!

However you lost me at

some sort of periodisation, and specificity of training

I watch the Apprentice too you know, Buzzword Boy!

njee20
    Free Member

There are myriad threads about it. As I said in my original post it seems a reasonable guide to periodisation, but it’s nothing more.

We know nothing about you – are you an aspiring Junior who’s already ‘knocking on the door’, are you an Elite with many years racing experience? Or are you an IT worker in their 40s who fancies a crack at racing?

Do you have a power meter and 30 hours a week spare? Or are you shoehorning training in around job, family and so on, and trying to do it all in one weekend ride and a 4 mile commute? Do you actually want to ‘train’? Are you using this a way to make your riding seem more worthwhile? Are you looking for a scientific approach?

There’s a reason folk pay for training plans, it’s not really a case of “giving tips” on a forum and that leading to amazing results. Check any of the threads about TrainerRoad sessions, Z2 training, FTP etc, it all comes up fairly often. Train your weaknesses – people often want to do things they’re good at, you won’t get better at the things you’re not by doing that. Enduro is a difficult balance because you need explosive speed, but you need to be able to do it again and again over a couple of days. A good base is essential, or you’ll be knackered after stage 2, and don’t underestimate the benefit of feeling fresher after a transition.

If it was me, I’d be looking at a good few months solid winter riding, with some decent sweetspot intervals, then switching to intensity in the spring, focusing on a combination of lactate sprints, probably 15/15, two blocks of 12 with good rest, and some longer intervals – probably a pyramid session 1-5 minutes, half recovery.

I’d also want to be doing some core stuff over winter, and riding a mountain bike to keep ones skills up.

But that’s just me, I don’t know about you.

Any better?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

hill repeats as well, some people are terrible at riding hills

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be a focus for me, a decent base fitness to be able to plod up the transitions would be more useful IMO.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mega had several uphill section when i did it, while quite short and steep it did still lead to people getting off and pushing, over geared/over biked or just not fit enough

but yer, uk based enduro i guess you plod the transition stages

njee20
    Free Member

Mega isn’t really an enduro though is it, it’s in a class of its own. Even European enduros are multiple timed DH stages (no more than 10-15% climbing according to the simultaneous thread on FF helmet wearing), with some uphill transitions.

andyrm
    Free Member

3 main things:

– Base level fitness for being out on the bike for 5-6 hours at steady pace
    – High level delivery, i.e. 80-90% output for upwards of 5 mins at a time
    – Core strength and mobility

akak
    Free Member

I think that unless you are at one of the extremes ie unfit or pro then there is much more to gain from skill than fitness. Pick one coach and go every month or do a local skills session at each of your A race venues?

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree. Much easier to gain fitness than skills, and mediocre skills will be more useful if you’re not utterly dead when you’re trying to use them.

I’m a walking (or riding/crashing) example of this.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Agree that fitness is simpler to gain than skill. It takes a while to come on though. About 8-12 weeks to build a solid base, but it may be different for you.

Plus once you’re fitter you’ll be amazed at how much more focus you have!

chakaping
    Free Member

I disagree. Much easier to gain fitness than skills

Agreed, but a lot of riders do focus more on skills. Me included in previous years.

Personally – as someone whose head starts fizzing after five minutes reading the posts on here about Z2 training etc – I found the article very useful.

I like the way he’s purposefully left it to the reader to apply it to their own current level of fitness and ability – but it still seems to offer a useful framework.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips I’m 23, male fairly fit never really been out of shape.

Was about 63kg this time last year after a lot of strength work I’m now 70kg which is the heaviest I have been and I feel good for it definitely more strength to move the bike. Keep maintaining a low body fat.

Want to be fit enough to participate in series such as UKGE as well as being able to be mid table in series like PMBA and One Industries Mini Enduro. When I get to a race I want to feel that my fitness is not the thing that is holding me back.

I work 10-6 Mon Friday I can spend 8-10 hours a week in the gym and can ride Sat, Sun and a couple of night rides if need be.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

[/quote]curiousyellow – Member
    Don’t know about Enduro but I got faster than I was last year by doing the following:

– Rode more, and rode consistently.
    – Rested when I felt too knackered. But not too long, just a day or two off the bike.
    – Rode with some mates who are much better bikers than me.
    – Rode in different places when I got bored of my local trails.
    – Kept an eye on my food and weight.

I did use some sort of periodisation, and specificity of training increased closer to races/main goals.

Nailed it, good man!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Look at that; seem to have reverse quoted my reply. Anyway you get my drift, Curiousyellow hit the nail on the head.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Enduro – Winter training’ is closed to new replies.