Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • "Enduro" wheelz, wot's good?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So, having done this to my 6 month old rear wheel I’m contemplating replacing the set (given the’re both quite low end – intense hubs on sun rims)

If I do go down the replacement route, what’s good these days (27.5)? Hope hoops have always served me well but seem relatively heavy in “enduro” flavour. Are the crank brother colbolts really not worth considering? Budget is £400 tops, riding is erm.. a bit of everything from Sherwood pines mince to DH mince (mince is the commonality but I’m quite heavy..)

Ta and hugs

BoardinBob

Flow EX mk3 on pro4 evo hubs

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ lighter than the hope hoops?

I had the original flows on pro11’s for 6 years with no issues at all apart from a few dents ..

BoardinBob

Hope Enduro rim = 510g

Mk3 Flow EX = 510g

So nothing in it weight wise.

Flow EX is much wider though

kayak23

Loving my Spank Spike Race 28 wheelset. Coming from Stans Flow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on the 25mm Flow EX MK2’s here 2+ years on the rear, 18 months on the front. No dings or retensions needed (hand built by a pro) solid and a good weight. Riding selection probably similar

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I(my lbs) just built up pro2 hope and mk3 flow rims. 30mm wide so need 2.4 tyres but they look great. Lbs said the rim quality is excellent and the seem very stiff and light. Just over budget maybe if you go pro 4 hubs.

SOAP
    Free Member

Be careful with tyre pressure on the flow mk3. Flat spotted mine on the second ride. 🙁

nosedive
    Free Member

The custom wheel builder on crc seems good value for hope pro 4 / stans builds (never used them like so dont know about the quality). I would definitely be looking at something on pro 4 hubs if I was in the market for wheels now

Hope Tech Enduro – similar to Mavic EN 521’s – this clumsy sod has never damaged one

sillyoldman

DT EX 471 or EX 511 on DT350 hubs, or EX1501s if you want a lighter set up.

sprocker
    Free Member

Not sure you can get 471’s on 350 hubs for £400, chain reaction are doing cheap crossmax XL’s at the min.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m running ARC30s on Pro4s, brass nipples and DB spokes. from CR, came in at about £420 IIRC.
    A year in and they’re still running perfectly. I think they came in around 1800g or so when I weighed them, so not the lightest, but they’ve put up with a lot of abuse. I do only weigh 10st though.

TBH I would have got the Flow MK3s if they were available when I bought the wheels, but they weren’t, and I have no regrets. Regularly running around 18PSI over rough and rooty stuff and there’s no damage at all. However, I haven’t pushed them on much rocky stuff.

They’re just the right level of stiff for me as well – really nice in the corners but seem to have a smidge of lateral compliancy as well.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks all, so… crank brothers idodine really worth avoiding?

Btw – has anyone ever seen such nipple failure as above? It was just a large stick through the spokes at low speed :-/

doubleu
    Free Member

Hope Tech Enduro – similar to Mavic EN 521’s – this clumsy sod has never damaged one

On the flipside I have – but this was at downhill centres and not quite ‘enduro’

Second the notion on getting Pro4 hubs – they are superb.

superfli
    Free Member

Someone recently posted a link to the novatech hubs that are same as Superstar Switch on ebay. Very cheap – £45 a pair!! Anyway, these as they are fine and serviceable/replaceable parts + some LB rims. I have a few sets of rims, and have dented a ruined a few ally rims. The carbon ones are solid. Rock hard. They can really take a battering. Used racing in the Alps and UK riding and they havent been touched.

Kahurangi

Thanks all, so… crank brothers… really worth avoiding?

Yes, you’re the only person who keeps asking about them. Are they the only thing your LBS sell or something? The rule of thumb is never to a buy a crank brothers product with moving parts.

I’m enjoying my Flow mk3 rims (wide, light and unassuming), although similar to SOAP above – I was experimenting with silly low pressures (15 psi) and flat spotted on my 1st or 2nd ride. Might be worth getting some huck norris if you want see how low you can go.

and unless I’m mistaken (I can’t find any evidence on tinterweb) the Flow EX is the Flow Mk2. There is no Flow EX Mk3.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Crank brothers – cheap ish and light and look good.

I do need to think about dent resistance as have been known to dabble in DH with silly low pressures ..

poah
    Free Member
    RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting!

Out of interest – are Mavic Crossmax and similar a pita to find spares for?!

Toasty

Crank brothers – cheap ish and light and look good.

Did you just ask a question, then answer yourself?

I’ve had a set of Crank Bros Iodine on my Stumpy for a while now, they’ve lasted and genuinely seem quite stiff compared to most low spoke count wheels I’ve run. The spokes constantly make a twanging sound though as they re-tension and they’re not very wide for what they pretend to be, I only use it for red/XC sort of riding and I can’t say I’d trust them on anything more than that. Really can’t see any reason to get them, aside from what they look like.

I considered putting them on my Enduro, but the stock OEM wheels were just as light, with miles wider rims.

hatter

ex471 on hope pro 4 for £420

https://www.moonglu.com/products/handbuilt-hope-pro-4-evo-on-dt-swiss-ex471-wheels

/End thread as far as I’m concerned.

The only possible upgrade I’d be tempted by would be a wider EX 511 rim on the front.

If it’s good enough for this guy….

Neil @ Moonglu’s a damn good builder as well.

lardman
    Free Member

I’d add a tale of caution around Flow Mk3’s too, I flat spotted both of mine in the first week of riding (it was in the Alps tho’) and i’ve not flat spotted a rim in years. Pressure was no real difference from my ‘ normal’ pressures.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m running ARC30s on Pro4s, brass nipples and DB spokes

Same as my on my Switchback – I paid £400 for them from a local-ish shop and have have been spot on for the past nine months or so. I run lowish pressures (20 front and 25 or so rear) and haven’t had any issues with dinged rims etc.

The ARC rims are easy to set up tubeless and have held air like champs. They give the 2.3 minions a nice big profile (same as the 2.5’s on my Demo).

woodster

Personally those DTs on Pro 4s would be my choice, but it seems like you want to go lighter so perhaps something like American Classic Wide Lightnings are worth a look over Crank Bros and Mavic options?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Are those Moon Glue wheels any good?

I’ll be needed some new wheels on my Demo soon and the price looks good for my ideal hubs / rims.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Any experience of Easton Heist wheels?

£280 on CRC at 1710g seems a bargain..

Sui
    Free Member

DT Swiss FR 570 on the newer version

put them on some Hope hubs as above.

As above, will finish a DH run with no tyres..

sofaboy73
    Free Member

if they’re anything like any of the rest of the crank brothers kit I’ve tried the bearings will go within months, they’ll fall apart and you’ll be constantly re-building them (disclaimer – not used any of their kit for 5+ years due to consistently bad experiences, they may be better now)

as other have said, hope pro 4 on flow mk3 rims – got my last set built up for £350 by LBS. have 2 sets of flow mk3 rims, the oldest being 6 months and so far no issues – I’m a 15st untalented monkey on the bike who likes to ride fast but with little grace, running tubeless at fairly low pressures (20F,25R) riding on a lot of rock in the peak district

hatter

The ‘Gwin tyreless run’ rim was an EX 471, not a FR 570, the EX is a much lighter Enduro/Trail jobbie, which is why it was such a big deal that it survived.

buckster
    Free Member

Spank Oozys

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got EX471 on Hope for my new enduro wheels, still not ridden them unfortunately – but Gwin’s aforementioned tyreless run suggests they’ll be pretty durable.

Maybe risky going much lighter if you are a big unit?

stevied
    Free Member

Not sure you can get 471’s on 350 hubs for £400

You could from actionsports.de
    DT471 + DT350 + DT Comp + silver nipples = EU449

https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-swiss-350-disc-is-custom-wheelset-mtb-650b-4138?c=397

I’ve got the 471’s on SP 350 with Aerocomp spokes and they are brilliant.

fergal
    Free Member

So Easton Hiest are they made of cheese! someone must be using them.

Wookster

I’ve got some Easton AR27’s on the go and they are really good, no issues despite numerous overweight underskilled landings…. 😳

submarined
    Free Member

Afaik Heists are ARC rims with a lower spoke count, making rim replacement a pain in the balls.
    No idea about the hubs, but the above is enough to put me off.

noahhowes
    Free Member

My ARC 30s have faired well for 18 months. Three mates have put multiple dings in theirs though. Mine have one small dent and still hold air perfectly and run true, I’m happy with them. I agree that a low spoke count probably wouldn’t be ideal.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Any experience of Easton Heist wheels?

£280 on CRC at 1710g seems a bargain

I think that the Heist wheels use the ARC rims.

I’ve never had any issues with Easton hubs – my Havocs were fine for a few years. They were easy to service and easy to adapt the hubs.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Out of interest – are Mavic Crossmax and similar a pita to find spares for?!

Not really, but they are a bit err… shit.

I’ve a set on my big bike and whilst they look flash they’re out performed in every way by the Pro2 Evo/Lightbicycle carbon wheels on my hardtail.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘"Enduro" wheelz, wot's good?’ is closed to new replies.