Enduro Seals, some advice please

Home Forum Bike Forum Enduro Seals, some advice please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Enduro Seals, some advice please
  • Premier Icon Zaskar93
    Subscriber

Having recently done a lower leg service on my Rock Shox Revelations for the first time after getting some fine scoring on a stanchion I was considering replacing the seals next time I did it and wondered if Enduro seals would be a better option than bog standard Rock Shox. I did a bit of digging and got more confused as the Enduro kit comes with oil seals and wiper seals but no foam washers but someone else recommended getting a Fox 32mm kit which has both a narrow foam washer and an thinner oil seal which can be crammed into the Rock Shox. Has any one got any experience/pointers on ease of installation and performance? Ta.

Enduro Kit comes with an outer wiper seal and an inner oil seal. Simon (of Loco Tuning fame) reckons the Enduro seals are no better than the standard RS ones.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I run enduro in three sets of fox and I really rate them.

The difference between oil seals and foam rings is minimal. I’ve tried both and found the oil seals worked better as long as you packed the space between the seals with suspension grease. IIRC even RS swapped between the two systems in Pikes depending on the year?

Both work better with regular serviceing though, drop the lowers off once in a while and apply grease and oil to the right places. If you didn’t notice that your forks were running dry then you won’t notice a difference in perfocrmance between oil seals and foam rings.

Premier Icon Zaskar93
    Subscriber

Onzadog, any particular reason why you dislike them so much?

rate =/= hate

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

The oil inside the fork stays cleaner with enduro seals than it did with the original fox ones. not tried the new skf ones though.

retro83

Simon@loco seems like a good bloke but i think he’s wrong on that. The oil is always completely clean when i service the forks unlike even brand new rockshox seals, plus they are smoother feeling i think due to no foam rings being needed.

LoCo

Hmmm, ok there are several different factors here, Enduro seal kits v rockshox seal kits (2 types the double seal kit and the ‘standard’ combined oiland wiper seal kit) along with Fox seals old and ‘new’ skf ones.

Firstly I wouldn’t suggest fitted fox 32mm seals to Rockshox forks or vice versa.
    Enduro seal kits with separte oil and dust seals are as good as the Rockshox separate oil and dust seals and abotu the same price (£20.99 for the Rockshox ones from us)
    The stiction of the Enduro and Rockshox kits with two seals per side will be greater than that of the single seals with thick foam rings.
    The seals with the least friction for fox are definatly the SKF/Fox ones which are really good but as with any fork you do need to keep to the service intervals specified by the manufacturers to keep them good.

Personally with my Revelations I’ll do a lower service (seal clean and foam clean and relube or replacement every 20 to 25 hours) and every other time replace the lower oil and change the seal kit every 6 months, I have yet to see any dirt ingress into the lower oil but there is a little on the foams each time.

If the stantions on the OPs forks are starting to wear or are damaged I’d suggest going for the dual seal kits of either Enduro or Rockshox to extend their life by giving better sealing.
    On other forks I’d suggest just running the single seals with thicker foam ring and servicing regularly as this will give better performance in terms of stiction and the sensitivity of the forks. 😀

Premier Icon Zaskar93
    Subscriber

Thanks all. Has anyone been using ‘Fork Juice’ and does that further reduce any wear on the stanchions? Since doing the lower leg service and re-using the existing seals and foam rings the forks are still working fine with full 150mm travel and the area of wear doesn’t seem any worse.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

You can use expensive for juice on your stantions if you like but bog standard silicon spray works just as well, it will not reduce any wear but think of it as a lubricant for your upper seals.

Premier Icon spacehopper
    Subscriber

nott really a fan of enduro fork seals..

I used them on my vanilla fork for about 6 months.. ive heard the stories about needing to let them bed in so gave them a chance longterm..

i’ve no doubt they are better at sealing the fork from dirt ingress than fox seals..

but the added friction was awful.. i found the forks where much less sensitive to small bumps and the added friction compression damping didnt feel too great either.. the fork felt dead and lifeless..

have got the new SKF fox seals fitted now and the fork feels much nicer 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Enduro Seals, some advice please’ is closed to new replies.