• This topic has 48 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Enduro Racing
  • ridepoland
    Free Member

In Poland there is enduro racing series called Enduro Trophy. The formula of the race is following:
    5 special stages: 1x uphill, 1x interval (traverse), 3x downhill. They are linked together. Time is measured only on these stages. I think it’s very similar to the UK Gravity Enduro and demands quite well riding technique because of difficulty level, especially on the downhills. There are 5 editions of the race this year, of course each one in different location. Here You have some footage from last edition (21.05.2011) located in the Sudety Mountains – Black Mountain Resort (Czarna Góra)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/198093/
    they are just about to start new version of the web also in English so You can check it out soon:
    http://endurotrophy.pl/

molgrips
    Free Member

Is an endurance event not like a MTB Marathon? 100km of excellent trails in the mountains? No muddy fields in sight?

I wish people would stop going on about muddy fields, I’ve never raced around a muddy field in all the events I’ve done. I’ve raced untold miles of good singletrack though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Back on topic – what about those Kona Mash Up races? Are they doing any more?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Back on topic – what about those Kona Mash Up races? Are they doing any more?

No because they never worked right!

The UK Gravity Enduro is the current replacement

Kielder is next and 4/5 trails are on the normal red/black, just waiting to see what Steve P puts in for a “natural” stage. I’m guessing another forest/rooty section but hoping for something a bit more open & natural

hels
    Free Member

Yes, an Endurance event is exactly an MTB Marathon, the UCI have some rules and definitions somewhere, if you can find them on the most un-interrogatable website ever. Can be laps of a course like Mountain Mayhem (muddy fields or not) or point to point like the Merida series.

An Enduro event on the other hand will involve probably about the same distance of riding, but in a single loop, and you are only timed on the special stages, which will be mainly sections of descent.

Yes, it would be good if organisers were consistent about this !!

Was chatting to Steve at the weekend one of the Gravity series organisers about getting some rules set up for Enduros that we can all work towards, makes life easier for all.

ridepoland
    Free Member

Is an endurance event not like a MTB Marathon? 100km of excellent trails in the mountains? No muddy fields in sight?

molgrips i’m not sure if it was a question for me 🙂 you can watch the movie attached to my recent post and I can asure You there are no muddy fields 🙂 The routes of the race are composed to meet the best possible riding stuff in the areas. Most common bikes are fullies 6″ of travel and more. Of course competition takes part but it’s more about very challenging downhills, great landscapes and real mountain adventure. Here you have some pics from the last event:
    http://www.southbike.pl/index.php?id=204&id2=101

GW
    Free Member

When I first heard of this style of race my immediate thought was “mini DH stage race”, but that’s not what it is at all, it’s really just an XC race where only the (XC style) descents count..
    Anyway, I had a thought, how cool would it be if actual XC racing was brought up to date by adding a couple of timed descents in the loop where you could gain points in a similar fashion to road racing (sprints/climbs) but rather than aiming for a green/polka jersey/title the points added to the overall points and penalties could also be implemented for not riding sections.

hels
    Free Member

We’ve been doing that for years at Innerleithen GW, google Alister Lees Memorial XC Time Trial.

GW
    Free Member

I know hels, I meant to put something interesting back into multiple lap XC series racing (right upto WC level)

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Enduro Racing’ is closed to new replies.