Enduro Racing

• This topic has 48 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by  GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Enduro Racing
  • Tom Zesty

I’m confused by ‘enduro’ racing. Is it long distance ‘endurance’ racing, like the Kielder Enduro, or rally style events like ‘Megavalanche’ (or both!?). I quite fancy doing one of the rally style ones but I don’t know much about them – are there any up North in the next few months?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

It seems people use it for all sorts. But if you want the rally style, ride to the top untimed, descent timed sort of thing, then check this out:

http://www.ukgravityenduro.co.uk/public/default.aspx

Not sure whether to enter it… I did the Icycles on a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic, but it did leave me a broken man after the 3rd stage and this series has 5 stages… So I’m not sure I’m physically able! But it’ll be brilliant I’m sure.

juan

If you’re in the UK you’ll be riding around a muddy field during 6 hours.
    If you’re in the continent you’ll get something more on the line of that:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/first-timer-yeah

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

juan – Member

“If you’re in the UK you’ll be riding around a muddy field during 6 hours.”

I was going to write a proper rebuttal for this but you’re so completely wrong it’s hard to know where to start. That’s not even a fair description of UK XC racing and marathons never mind enduro racing.

“If you’re in the UK you’ll be riding around a muddy field during 6 hours.”

….and paying a small fortune for the priv’…

Actually, juan has a point.

agreeing with northwind in response to both Juan and OP. uk gravity enduro is the way to go. if you have the money…

rbrstr

If you’re in the continent you’ll get something more on the line of that:

Err……….. Gorrick ,thetford winter series? etc etc. i’ve never done an enduro that involved a field, your thinking of cyclocross

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Actually, looking at Juan’s video that looks massively less challenging and interesting than the UK race I did. Faster though, because of all the featureless singletrack and fireroads. Stage 2 at the innerleithen event was old DH trails, a small stretch of red route and a section of black route. Stage 3 was modern DH trails from top to bottom. There was a muddy field, my car was parked in it.

Basically just completely ignore everything he said, he’s obviously a fool.

paul78

I think the point Juan is making is that in Europe an Enduro is a lengthy predominantly downhill race… In the UK the term Enduro has traditionally applied to ‘riding around muddy fields’ endurance xc racing… although agreed not all our courses are mudd fields BUT some very much are.

Maybe with more European style Enduro downhill races happening here organisers will start using Marathon for XC and Enduro for Downhill.

Tom Zesty

I’ve heard from some of the magazines that the downhill orientated ones are being run in the UK, but not really when and where.
    All the advertisements I’ve found/seen seem to be for the marathon style ones.
    Might just start timing myself in the peaks, it’ll be cheaper and easier!
    We timed ourselves around Dalby last month, it does spur you on abit.

nasher

What Paul78 said , the “Rally/GRavity” enduro style races have been going in France and Italy for a few years now and involved some of the best descents and riding in Europe… My experience of UK Enduro events were just big circuits on roads and fireroads with 24hr races literally on muddy fields!!!.

I think these 100km events are now being called Marathons and the DH orientated Rally events are being called Enduro’s to be kept in line with Europe…

Otherwise it will get a bit confusing.

But to the OP…do one of the race’s you wont regret it, it is proper grass roots racing, you wont kill yourself onnthe climbs and the racing is on the fun parts..

Premier Icon dave360
    Subscriber

Enduro = like car rally format with timed stages linked together

Endurance = well, what it says.

juan

Actually, looking at Juan’s video that looks massively less challenging and interesting than the UK race I did

Funny that as I never did anything that is even close to that (even the DIFY). I’d like to see some footage of what you did northwind, just to compare cam to cam.

Premier Icon ash
    Subscriber

Maybe with more European style Enduro downhill races happening here organisers will start using Marathon for XC and Enduro for Downhill

Yes, as they indeed should.

The use of “Enduro” for a marathon XC race really annoys me, it’s totally wrong. If you don’t agree with me, ask the UCI what they think.

Enduro is rally-style. Untimed liaison stages leading to *mainly descending* timed stages.

Tom Zesty

These are the ones that you use a trail/ all mountain bike for though aren’t they? I haven’t got a downhill machine!

nasher

XC, all mountain, trail, enduro bike…anything you can pedal up a hill on, but the msot popular bikes are the 150-160 travel bikes

juan

I wouldn’t go with a DH machine
    Mainly for two reasons:
    first, although stages are downhill orientated, most of them have some climbs/pedalling bits.
    second, you will have to pedal between stages. And the liaisons will be all uphill.

As for the bike, depending on your strengths, anything between 120 to 160 mm is good. However having a gravity dropper is a big plus.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

juan – Member
    “Funny that as I never did anything that is even close to that (even the DIFY). I’d like to see some footage of what you did northwind, just to compare cam to cam.”

Don’t have any video to show you but stage 3 was entirely on innerleithen’s dh trails, and wasn’t the hardest, hopefully that’ll give you some clue. If you did some XC races that were misnamed that’s a shame but it’s not what’s being discussed here at all.

hels

Why do people insist on classifying anyway ?? It’s all mountainbiking, a trail is a trail… it has dirt and trees and sometimes rocks. Ride your tandem down it if you really want to.

paul78

We are not pigeon holing riding we are just asking for a more uniform means of organisers naming their events so people can pick out more easily what they prefer to ride.

I can see how its really confusing for newer riders looking for an event to try thinking they have entered a series of timed descents but instead having to ride around a forest for 24 hours πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yeah, that’s not so much pigeonholing as accurate naming. If you turned up for the gravity enduro series expecting it to be the same as the dyfi, or vice versa, you’d have reason to be pissed off I think…

Though hopefully most people have the wits to read the event descriptions too!

hels

You need to be able to write your own name to collect your number, too.

juan

Well I am still waiting northwind… As you may be aware things look different on camera.
    I want to inners and wasn’t impress with the DH track and the XC track… Each to their own

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

You’re waiting for what Juan? I’m waiting for you to admit you were wrong, in the hope that people aren’t put off real enduro racing by your post…

mr plow

I’m confused – Juan’s vids show some proper meaty enduro stages on the side of a farly big hill. The camera hides steepness but looking at the bike when it runs off the brakes I would say some of it is very steep. The Inners track was plenty fun but used pretty low consequence trails with no jumps/drops or really nasty rocks I guess for people’s safety/insurance.

Enduro as a term in the UK has in the past meant long grinding endurance races in the past on rather featureless courses. The UK now has some events under the enduro banner that follow the Euro way of doing it. And good on em I say :mrgreen:

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the Innerleithen event was massively difficult, but after watching some bombing down fireroad and some fast riding along smooth-as-a-babies-bottom singletrack, I’ve just seen the first rock in one of Juan’s vids and it’s 3 minutes into the stage. Like I say I’ve not watched all of the 3 vids because of the length but everything I’ve seen seems to rely on speed and a bit of gradient for its challenge, except for the pushing up bits. Oh and a bit of rocks at 7 minutes which looks like more fun.

It looks like great fun but considering the way he’s steamed into this thread I was expecting some sort of super-gnar, as far as I can tell his videos are just the same thing as we did, but with longer simpler tracks.

grumm

Northwind speaks sense. I am the first to take the piss out of ‘Mountain Mayhem’ for being riding laps round a muddy field – but the descents at Ae, Innerleithen, Kielder etc are nothing like that, even without the special stages.

It’s a great format imo – confusion over the name aside. If I wasn’t still recovering from CFS I would be doing some of the UK gravity enduro series like a shot.

Tom Zesty

So are there any links to these gravity enduros then so I can have a look? Locations and entry costs, dates etc?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

http://www.ukgravityenduro.co.uk/public/default.aspx

They seem to be doing most of the enquiries through their facebook page, hang on…

<man I hate facebook>

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=110825505624163

juan

So basically northwind you are telling me that rock = difficult?
    Is that what you are telling me?

grumm

Tom Zesty – second post of this thread. πŸ˜‰

Juan – shut up. πŸ™‚

Tom Zesty

Northwind – cheers, this looks perfect. Just got to decide which ones to enter now!
    Grumm – second post?

Parr

This is a comparison I use to riders about the series, you go to a trail centre with a group of mad for it MTBers, you’ll probably cruise on up to the first bit of downward pointing trail, have a quick chat/piss take, then attempt to rag the living hell out of your bike till the section finishes.
    Does that sound familiar??
    If the answers yes, then the Gravity Enduro is for you, because that is exactly what it’s like, but you’ll have 5 chances to rip the piss πŸ˜€
    Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Steve

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

<edit- I was suggesting to Tom you speak to the organisers, well, here’s one, listen to him not me>

Still not sure whether to enter myself, I’m not totally sure I’m fit enough to do the routes 😳 I was absolutely shattered at the last event and that was only 3 stages. But if it comes out even half as good as it looks, it should be a hell of a series. Kielder’s filling up fast…

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Steve, is it actually going to be on the trail centre trails? The website says “normally run on an existing red route cross country loop” but then you mentioned before that round 3 would probably have some similiar trails to the enduro the other week, and that barely touched the trail centre routs. Just wondering…

Premier Icon gothandy
    Subscriber

Even on the European/not XC version things like mega are a straight race aren’t they … no rally style sections? Blooming confusing.

juan

Well megavalanche is not an enduro ;-). The 1001 enduro tour is. And if northwind thinks red route are harder than levens I am just wetting myself or getting much more confused about what you define as technical?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Juan, I hope for your sake you’re intentionally misunderstanding as some sort of low quality troll attempt. The Innerleithen Racing event wasn’t on the red routes, as I’ve already explained (it did use 2 short sections as link trails) Oh in case you’re still struggling it wasn’t in a muddy field either.

It’d be great if you’d just stop it as you’re not just derailing a thread and looking daft, you’re misleading people about these events for no obvious reason despite being corrected, and that’s bang out of order considering the amount of work these guys put into it.

Parr

Northwind – Inners will be a near perfect 50/50 mix of trail centre surface and natural trail, get on it and enter yourself, you know you want to, you would’nt be asking if you did’nt πŸ™‚

Juan – For the record, the 3 organisers are all racers, you will NOT be riding round any flat fields if you enter a 661 Gravity Enduro race πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

juan – Member

Never been in Scotland then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Enduro Racing’ is closed to new replies.