Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Enduro LLU MAX bearings or something else/better?
  • phil5556

Our bikes need new frame bearings, I’ve just priced up Enduro LLU MAX bearings at about £90 per bike.

Kinetic do a set for about £55 using their own bearings (or Enduro if they don’t produce the right one).

Orbea used Enduro LLU MAX bearings originally, they’re all a bit grindy now.

Are the Enduro ones going to be any better? LLU seems to be the premium seal to have but are they actually noticeably better at keeping muck and water out?

Cheers

martinhutch

Enduro are decent, but I don’t think anything keeps the muck out all that well in present UK conditions.

I use these guys (also on an Orbea) – don’t know if it will work out cheaper for you, but they seem to last as well as anything else and they are good to deal with.

All Bike Bearings

bens
    Free Member

I used Kinetic last time for my Rise. They didn’t seem any worse that than the Orbea ones, just cheaper.

Theres almost no protection offered by the frame to keep the crap out of the bearing so I think it’s probably more important to clean and degrease them semi regularly than it is to buy mega expensive ones.

Saying that, I did buy 2 sets of SKF from Superstar when they were knocking them out cheap so I guess I’ll be able to see if expensive is worth it once I’ve fitted some!

scruff
    Free Member

Kinetic’s own brand bearings are as good as Enduro, great knowledge and service aswell.

hainman
    Free Member

@phill5556 what bike is it your doing bearings on?

I have a load of bearings left over from my Orbea wild fs ebike

hooli

Another +1 for trail vision, good bearings and reliable next day DPD delivery so I don’t feel like I need to keep loads of bearings for the various bikes in my spares box as I did during covid times when supply was tricky.

ogden
    Free Member

Kinetic’s wheel bearings have always been fine for me but the pivot bearings never seem to last very well, no idea why. Enduro pivot bearings seem to last longer imo.

mrauer

One thing to note is to use highly water-resistant grease to stuff between bearing covers and bearings, so the water would not get inside the bearings themselves. Most bike brands have zero protective grease after the factory install.

Personally I use Motorex Grease2000 – I guess they renamed it Bike Grease now https://motorex.com/en-ch/bike-grease–49342

Stuff as much of that as possible when installing the new bearings. If the bike has decent bearing covers, it should stay there pretty well.

bens
    Free Member

Just been onto Superstar and they’re still offering 75% off SKF bike specific bearings. Works out just over £41 for a full set of bearings for the Rise

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The SKF aren’t max compliment so arguably better suited to wheels etc. I believe, but I also stocked up on them a while ago!

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I use Enduro max from kinetic bearings, kinetic’s own max/full complement are hit n miss especially smaller diameter ones for horst link or small linkages, I’ve always had good results with Enduro bearings in wheels and pivots, I looked into the solid lube ones but the price is just silly money.

reeksy

The guys in my local bearing shop recommend a light coating of lanolin spray on the bearing covers. It’s not petroleum based and it repels water.

It’s what 4X4 drivers and boat owners use to protect their vehicles here.

Hadge
    Free Member

Look guys, you can buy cheap MAX bearings on places like Amazon and for some of the bigger wide bearings they seem a bargain compared to Enduro but trust me they are shitte. You do get what you pay for and and Enduro are consistently good quality whereas some of the “other ” cheap ones mentioned on here are not.

ogden
    Free Member

I use Enduro max from kinetic bearings, kinetic’s own max/full complement are hit n miss especially smaller diameter ones for horst link or small linkages, I’ve always had good results with Enduro bearings in wheels and pivots.

Nice to know it isn’t just me then 🙂

oikeith

The guys in my local bearing shop recommend a light coating of lanolin spray on the bearing covers. It’s not petroleum based and it repels water.

It’s what 4X4 drivers and boat owners use to protect their vehicles here.

Interesting, have you tried it @reeksy?

reeksy

I did it on a bike I changed all the bearings on and then sold. Only just got another FS bike though.

I use it routinely on BB and headset bearings.

I use it for chain lube too (lightly applied) and it lasts for ages on wet rides.

alanf
    Free Member

I don’t rate Enduro bearings and always avoid if there is another option.

argee

Enduro bearings for me, the frame bearing (LLU) are great, they have labyrinth seals so tend to be better for the job, and of course being MAX, means they take the loads better for frame pivots.

Realistically i tend to find bearings fail on bikes because of poor frame design over poor bearings, Enduro MAX are radial bearings, and the way you see pivot points on bikes sway axially does make you wonder of the loads being imposed, don’t get me wrong, some designs are great, but i’ve seen one or two that aren’t so great, and their quality aren’t that great either with alignment of the bearing to the pivot.

martinhutch

Realistically i tend to find bearings fail on bikes because of poor frame design over poor bearings, Enduro MAX are radial bearings, and the way you see pivot points on bikes sway axially does make you wonder of the stresses being imposed

Yeah, mine current short travel FS is awful for this, and unsurprisingly eats through bearings. The price of lightweight flex-stay designs, I’m guessing (also they didn’t even bother trying to shield the main pivot bearing on one side, with predictable results).

the00
    Free Member

SKF do offer max compliment bearings. I’ve not used them. They’re more expensive than Enduro.

Both companies, and others, offer different bearing materials. I have started to only buy fully stainless steel for suspension pivots. I think that cheap stainless max compliment bearings are better than boggo Enduro MAXX.

Tracey

Been using Trailvision for years, previously Blue Seal. My understanding is they use marine grade grease.

Blueseal Bike Bearings™ contain the maximum fill of Mobil waterproof grease possible without compromising the function of the close-contact rubber

https://trailvision.co.uk/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA29auBhBxEiwAnKcSqr9V886f_xMVHwHw3QUmRSwIv3KOFGda73HD9L2d7Kgotu2uI5CPARoCaUIQAvD_BwE

They also have 35% off at the moment

Hadge
    Free Member

FWIW Enduro use Marine grade grease (CRC)

phil5556

Sooo to this up… Enduro are the best, Enduro aren’t any better than anything else, Kinetic and really good, and bad as are Trailvision / Blue Seal. This is the same as asking about brake pads isn’t it? 😆

Stainless does sound a good idea but much more expensive I think?

the00
    Free Member

Cheap s/s can be found for just a bit more than Enduro MAXX

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d agree with the comment about the frame’s sealing being more important than the bearings (avoiding really cheap crap ones obvs).

What’s your bike OP? Does it kill bearings quickly?

argee

Sooo to this up… Enduro are the best, Enduro aren’t any better than anything else, Kinetic and really good, and bad as are Trailvision / Blue Seal. This is the same as asking about brake pads isn’t it? 😆

Stainless does sound a good idea but much more expensive I think?

It really just is a case of buying the right bearing for the situation, Kinetic/Enduro/SKF all do good bearings, as do other companies.

As stated earlier, frame bearings tend to die more from design caused load stresses than actual bearing design stresses or water/dirt ingress, so folk seeing bearings failing a lot of the time would more than likely have a frame alignment or design issue, rather than crap bearings.

enigmas
    Free Member

Right, donning a tin foil hat and saying EnduroMAX bearings are overhyped.

Enduro are a brand that’s seemingly held in good regard in the bike industry but they’re viewed as on the cheap side in the engineering world. SKF, NTN, FAG are all suppliers I’d recommend instead.

I also disagree with Max complement bearings. The theory about spreading loads makes sense in isolation but mtb bearings usually fail due to water/dirt ingress, and by nature max complement bearings have a weak point in the seal where the notch to get the final bearing in is located. I’ve also never shattered a frame bearing despite plenty of impacts that have taco’d wheels and/or broken bones.

So yeah, I always suggest standard 2RS bearings from the above suppliers, then ram the surrounding area with marine grease.

argee

I also disagree with Max complement bearings. The theory about spreading loads makes sense in isolation but mtb bearings usually fail due to water/dirt ingress, and by nature max complement bearings have a weak point in the seal where the notch to get the final bearing in is located. I’ve also never shattered a frame bearing despite plenty of impacts that have taco’d wheels and/or broken bones.

So yeah, I always suggest standard 2RS bearings from the above suppliers, then ram the surrounding area with marine grease.

That’s the reason i’d say MAX are the ones to get, frame bearings do not spread the load like wheel bearings, so having a bearing that’s got higher loading for the same size is going to be more beneficial, add in labyrinth seals and it’ll make them seal better over a longer period than the basic rubber seal bearings.

Always tend to use 2RS in wheels, but they get replaced pretty easily when they start failing, predominantly through ingress of dirt/water.

phil5556

What’s your bike OP? Does it kill bearings quickly?

It’s an Orbea Rise, and yes it does seem to kill bearings, it’s needed them replaced for about 10 months 🙈

enigmas
    Free Member

That’s the reason i’d say MAX are the ones to get, frame bearings do not spread the load like wheel bearings, so having a bearing that’s got higher loading for the same size is going to be more beneficial, add in labyrinth seals and it’ll make them seal better over a longer period than the basic rubber seal bearings.

In my experience corrosion is the failure mechanism of frame bearings for me across the 6 or so full suss bikes I’ve owned and having changed bearings on a dozen mate’s bikes. Max complement bearings do spread the load across more bearings and in lab/perfectly dry conditions they would last longer before scoring of the race, but in the mudfest that’s a UK winter sealing performance is more valuable and MAX bearings are inherently weaker in that regard due to the required notch. I also think enduro seals, sealing tolerances and grease isn’t as good as that of the top brands, which is why I prefer SKF/NTN etc.

phil5556

All done. I went for Enduro Max LLU because it seemed to be a known consistent.

I thought I’d found them cheap but the prices didn’t include VAT, so was about £80 per bike.

Worst bit was getting the Rise main linkage apart after loctiting it together to stop the well known Orbea play. Everything else was pretty straight forward but took a while, hopefully we’ll be quicker next time. Some of the bearings were completely seized solid – probably a bit overdue!

weeksy

Phil, Orbea have just shipped me a new 24′ two piece linkage. Chat with your dealer

phil5556

Cheers weeksy I’ll email them.

Tbh once loctited it is solid and has been fine since I did it back in May but is a PITA to take apart – the wife’s took a scary amount of hitting! I was considering looking into a new linkage before doing the bearings next time.

Is yours the Aluminium frame? So the new linkage fits OK? (Mine’s an H hers is an M).

EDIT: Just looked on the Orbea website, says it is compatible with both.

weeksy

Mine alu frame. I believe it fits fine yes. There’s a blue paper on it and my lbs have done a few.
    I’ll fit parts myself when they arrive.

phil5556

Just edited my post as you replied.

Email on the way to the shop now 🙂

bigyan
    Free Member

For frame bearings I find removing the seals and packing full of waterproof grease  makes the biggest difference for lifespan. (failure is normally corrosion due to water ingress) Yes I know you are not supposed to 100% fill bearings, or the balls will skid/slide rather roll, overheat etc etc, but as they are in a slow speed application failing due to corrosion not galling I prefer to fill them with grease)

Kinetic frame bearings are very random on the grease fill. Some are greased, some look like they have been wiped with a greasy brush.

weeksy

Email on the way to the shop now

I’m collecting my new linkage kit tomorrow from LBS, i’ll throw a few pics up when it’s here.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pBDS4Y]IMG_20240305_142115[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Comes with linkage kit and full bearing set

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.