Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Enduro Full Face
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Preferably in Haterz will Hate colorways 😉
    Currently have an old 661 FF nice but no vents, for Enduro I use that with a road lid – very cool and minimal/just enough for uphill
    Have a Bell Super 1 too.
    Needs to be good with goggles, lighter and better vented the better.Head runs very warm trying to pick all the line choices.

I did ask once before but the suggestions were mainly open faced.
    On the list – Bell Super 2r, the normal Super is about an 85% good fit so not that convinced and the normal lid isn’t that well vented anyway so I might just carry a separate one for the liaison stages.

Can’t see anything from POC fitting the bill – all look too DH

URGE Archi2

Looks good

Met Parachute also on the list.

What else, personal experience and suggestions please.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Incoming.

You are about to feel the full wrath of folks who have realised that they only ‘need’ a gravel/cx/adventure/hipsterwaggen as they pretty much only ride canal tow paths and fire roads, so really, you should do the same, it’s sooooooo much faster and less maintenance, and enduro is the **** spawn of Satan himself, and bright colours make you look like a dick, and driving to the trails will see you in hell with old nick himself, breathing your own hate filled diesel and wood burning fumes…….

I think that urge wan looks pretty cool!. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah though just spotted it’s not available till May 15th, a week after the next race I’m aiming for… Was planning to have a good look round Rotorua this weekend when I’m over and try a lot on though.

As for the gravelrash/core well bless em really I hope I’m still riding when I sound that old 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

The IXS one that Gracia uses looks well vented, xult i think it’s called. Quite spendy though.

MSP

The urge is quite well vented and reasonably light, it is the light part that most seem to fail at. Have a look at the sweet protection full face, that is incredibly light, but doesn’t look quite as well vented.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Parachute, used for all full-face purposes in disgustingly hot and humid Hong Kong. I’ve been reasonably impressed with the venting and it’s pretty comfortable. It’s a little bit of a faff to get on and off, as it has both a full-face style chinstrap and a regular tension cinch mechanism at the back, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

This year’s colourways are brilliantly repulsive too.

🙂

Kahurangi

I had the 1st gen Archi-Enduro – it was ok but venting was poor and there were concerns over the durability of the chin bar, so I was kind of relieved to write it off in a crash without doing ym mouth in.

The new one looks better and the Parachute is also on my list as it’s a (very) well-vented FF.

The Super 2R isn’t on my list. AIUI, the chin bar is removable so it is removed for the testing. 😕

sideshow
    Free Member

I also have a parachute (tried a 2r, it didn’t fit me). I second the comments about the chin strap being faffy.

On the plus side I’m impressed with the venting. The only thing that makes it any hotter than an open face (imo) is the chin pads. While these are essential to the helmet’s safety going downhill (as without them chin impacts aren’t absorbed), you can always pop them out for the climb and put them back in at the top. I used to do that but recently I’ve got more used to sweaty cheeks so don’t bother. It’s nice to dive straight from climb into descent without any helmet faff, and dare I say very enduro. 😉

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Ive been using a met parachute for about a year now for enduros & uplift days. I think they’re great. Best fitting helmet I’ve had due to the head band retention system, light weight, really well vented (my head has got cold in it before!), you only notice minimal difference on the climbs compared to an open face and they certainly feel sturdy enough to offer a decent level of protection. Some of the 2016 ones also definitely tick the enduro flouro colour requirements! Some people don’t like the double D ring chin strap and find them awkward to get on and off, however even with my big swede, the strap is long enough that it you loosen it all the way you can just slide the helmet on and off and not have to undo the buckle each time

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Ive been using a met parachute for about a year now for enduros & uplift days. I think they’re great. Best fitting helmet I’ve had due to the head band retention system, light weight, really well vented (my head has got cold in it before!), you only notice minimal difference on the climbs compared to an open face and they certainly feel sturdy enough to offer a decent level of protection. Some of the 2016 ones also definitely tick the enduro flouro colour requirements! Some people don’t like the double D ring chin strap and find them awkward to get on and off, however even with my big swede, the strap is long enough that it you loosen it all the way you can just slide the helmet on and off and not have to undo the buckle each time

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

If you can get hold of a Specialized Deviant 2, I’d recommend that. I’m not sure they are making it anymore and the last “colourway” (yes, I said it ;-)), was bloody awful. Still, it’s a ‘proper’ full face but with open face type vents all over it. Light and comfy with plenty of room for goggles.

Tracey

Abigale moved over to a Bluegrass Brave as it offered more ventilation and a better fit than her THE One.
    Its OK for the UK conditions but don’t know how good it will be in a hotter climate.
    I have the old Specialized Deviant carbon in the Enduro poo brown colour. Its light and has plenty of ventilation. I’m going to throw it in the camper for the French and Italian events and if she wants to use it she can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had the original deviant and liked it, might see if I can get a look at one

lardman
    Free Member

My MET parachute is great. Not too hot at all.
    Straps and retention system works well, and chin strap is only a little more tricky than other helmets. Not a problem tho’.

They do however come up quite large compared to other brands, so check on fit before you buy.

Northwind

I have the old down-o-matic, it’s a dh helmet but about as well vented as fullfaces got until the last year or so. It’s a good hat- pretty light, not too sweaty (bollocks to climbing in itbut it’s tolerable for a long descent).

Are you looking for a single helmet you can climb in? I’ve given up on that as a concept, I have a sweaty noggin maybe but even the parachute was hopeless for me. Maybe the newest hats are better but they’ld have to be a lot better and I doubt they are. YMMV though.

Jon Taylor – Member

The Super 2R isn’t on my list. AIUI, the chin bar is removable so it is removed for the testing.

Other way round- the chinbar passes the ASTM testing but the upper helmet doesn’t because of the vent positioning (ASTM is a pretty inflexible standard, it puts impact tests in certain sites and if you’ve got a vent in that sight, you’re going to fail whereas if the vent was 1cm away maybe you wouldn’t)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are you looking for a single helmet you can climb in?

Maybe, probably not though. In the end of the day a vented FF will be much nicer to race in when it’s over 30c regardless.
    Mostly I’m looking for the lid that ticks the boxes for the rules and doesn’t cook my brains

orena45

My MET Parachute experiences/review if it’s of any use 🙂

Kahurangi

Other way round- the chinbar passes the ASTM testing but the upper helmet doesn’t because of the vent positioning (ASTM is a pretty inflexible standard, it puts impact tests in certain sites and if you’ve got a vent in that sight, you’re going to fail whereas if the vent was 1cm away maybe you wouldn’t)

That'The fact that it doesn’t meet the ASTM F1952 DH standard will be a deterrent for some riders, but it’s a matter of honestly assessing your riding style and protection needs when contemplating purchasing the Super 2R.[/quote]
    from http://www.pinkbike.com/news/bell-super-2r-helmet-review-2015.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/bell-super-2r-923814.html

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve got the MET Parachute and not used it as of yet, bought it so I could use it at last yrs Ard Rock, decided not to wear it as it was a warm day and I could only see a few folk wearing full facers … Mistake !!

Had a huge crash on S5 and smashed my face in … soooooooooo it’ll be getting **** worn this year regardless !

poah
    Free Member

got a met parachute (2nd one after a crash) and recomend it. it has the face protection and you don’t over heat.

Northwind

Jon Taylor – Member

That'[s quite interesting, do you have a reference?

Don’t know if I could find it but it was a comment from Bell themselves. (the inflexibility of ASTM is definitely true, whether the comment on the helmet itself is true, is up to you to decide really!). I’ve still never got to the bottom of how ASTM deals with chinguards- you can be an open face and pass but what about removables? What if you just declare the chinguard to not be impact protective, like with roost guards? But you can only get the summary for the standard online, the full standard is paywalled.

kimbers

helmet standards are a bit of a joke, I really wouldnt read to much into them

I have a parachute, its as well vented as any full facer can be and fine for enduros, but id always go for a proper DH lid on uplifts

the d loop buckle is awkward for me, especially with gloves on

I tried the 2r but it was the wrong shape for my head

Northwind

Yeah, I’d agree with that tbh. The CEN is rubbish, the ASTM standards are well meaning but seem simultaneously overspecific and too vague, not to mention too scarcely used, MX standards aren’t really appropriate…

dirtydog
    Free Member

I had the 1st gen Archi-Enduro – it was ok but venting was poor and there were concerns over the durability of the chin bar, so I was kind of relieved to write it off in a crash without doing ym mouth in.

Same here, they were/are shit, I wrote mine off (chin bar).Gives you all the confidence of a full face but without the protection.

strangey13
    Free Member

I moved from a Bluegrass to an IXS Xult. Nothing wrong with the Bluegrass but the fit of the IXS is a million times better for me. Seems well vented but not used it in summer/warmer times yet, although I seem to boil in most things so just have to live with it. It’s expensive but to me it’s like motorbike helmets, don’t mind spending on a good fit that should save my bonce.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Enduro Full Face’ is closed to new replies.