Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Endura MT500 coat – user feedback
  • rascal
    Free Member

I know it’s still summer but thinking of getting one of these for the winter…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mt500-hooded-jacket/rp-prod36214

Any reason not to (other than the price)? 😉
    A mate has had one of a while and swears by it for on and off the bike (hiking too).

boxxer7
    Free Member

I haven’t got the MT500 but looking at the specs it’s very similar to the Endura Venturi 2 jacket I have, I really like the jacket it’s very well made and tough, taken a couple of fast tumbles on rocky/gravel surfaces and it’s not got any holes in. Had to re waterproof it last year with nikwax but it’s as good as new since it’s over 3 years old now.

Only thing I would say i don’t like besides the price is they definitely aren’t that breathable and you tend to end up wet from sweating, mine has zip able vents under the arms which do help no idea if the MT500 has them.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Venturi 2 for me as well for a winter jacket, more vents than the MT500, choice if you want a hood or not, but less “stealthy” if your into the ninja thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rascal
    Free Member

Thanks.
    The very good coat has always had me interested (apart from the price).
    The £79.99 price tag made me buy it (50% off) 🙂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I bought the MT500 coat a couple of months ago,so far I’ve just used it off the bike as the summer’s been great.
    I bought it on the recommendation of a couple of friends who have them,they rate it highly.After seeing this weekends forecast I think It’ll be getting used on the bike…

scary_carey
    Free Member

Its an outstanding jacket, I had mine for 2 winters before our washing machine decided to eat it! to say I was gutted is an understatement. It managed to keep out some of the worst weather the Lakes and the Peaks could throw at me. The hood is really useful but could be a bit flappy at speed. I used off the bike as well as its a really good looking jacket (if you’re in to the scally look) If I had the cash I’d replace it in a heart beat. Size wise I had a large but if im honest it was a bit too big, however it did make it easy to wear with elbow pads underneath.

rascal
    Free Member

Cost not so much of an issue now as Evans selling certain colours at 80 snoots instead of 160!

rene59
    Free Member

Burgundy only at £80. I wonder just how burgundy it is though?

aburnet8
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up on Evans, love my MT500 jacket and have now picked another one up for when it bites the dust!

scary_carey
    Free Member

Awesome – Just got myself a burgundy one! Many thanks for the heads up 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The MT500 is a bit over featured in my view – too many pockets and zips and cuffs that mean it’s very bulky when not being worn.

The Flyte is their stripped down road jacket in the same fabric. Minimal pockets so less bulky and probably works better with a backpack. Slimmer cut as well so less flappyness if you’ve got the physique to wear it.

ansdy

Sorry for the slight high jack,

I’ve got this jacket and its great.

Anyone have experience of washing the MT500?

I was thinking using mild handwash soap?

Also it recommends a cool iron to rejuvenate? Anyone been brave enough to take an iron to one yet? How cool is a cool iron anyway?

A

cdoc
    Free Member

The cool iron thing does work, but only to a degree. Mine needed reproofing afterwards.
    Great jacket, but the care instructions are vague to say the least.

Test ironed mine on a sleeve with different settingsto find out what a ‘cool’ iron was! Turns out that it worked best at setting two from the bottom…
    How that relates to temperature I have no idea.

I have been meaning to email Endura to ask about the procedure and also to see if they can do anything to help with the stitching above the breast pocket which has begun to come loose.

Love the jacket though. Not as breathable as many, but has enough vents to make up for it.

RDL-82
    Free Member

and also to see if they can do anything to help with the stitching above the breast pocket which has begun to come loose.

Endura replaced mine free of charge when this happened and the replacement was much better stitched in that area so guess it was a problem area with them.

Great jacket but too warm for anything but the crappiest weather IMO.

cdoc
    Free Member

Cheers for the info RDL, will have to get round to mailing them on the off chance that they can help as I have no idea where I originally bought it from!
    Tbh, it has not seen that much use for the time I have had it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve always ironed my waterproofs – does make a difference on the coatings. Most irons have a one dot, two dot, three dot dial. One dot is silks/synthetics and I’ve used that.

Tumble drying is meant to be even better I think.

jhuwjones
    Free Member

I have the Venturi too. It’s a good winter jacket but I’m not sure how waterproof it remains over time. I think you can iron it but, unlike other jackets, not tumble dry it. I’ve reproofed and ironed it a couple of times but water still seems to soak in rather than run off. The pit and side vent zips help keep me cool if it’s a warm day.

What it does do, with a Buff around the neck to keep cold drips at bay, is keep me warm, even on long rides in heavy rain. I put an Endura skull cap under my helmet, which keeps me snug, if mostly wet through rain or sweat.

I have a good Mountain Equipment Gore Tex (the new durable version) walking/climbing jacket with a hood that fits over my helmet. That is more waterproof but a lot more expensive.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think you can iron it but, unlike other jackets, not tumble dry it.

Now that you mention it I think the Endura label does say not to tumble dry. Odd, as GoreTex instructions are clear that 20mins in tumble is best way to refresh the coating

Whereas Endura say

Do not tumble dry. Instead, drip dry naturally but avoid drying in direct strong sunlight.

To reactivate the DWR (Durable Water Repellency) on waterproof garments, use a cool iron setting, if that is permitted on the care label. Garments can also be reproofed using waterproofing agents such as Nikwax or Granger’s.

I’d always assumed that while the fabric tec waterproof membrane differed that all DWR coatings were the basically the same Nikwax Fluropolymer type thing and that they were the part that like heat.

Maybe that’s not the case – Nikwax says it avoids the need for tumbling – or maybe some
    the PTFE membranes is very heat sensitive

Anyone an expert?

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s ok.

You’re certainly aware you’re wearing it, all the built in extras only add bulk, weight an inflexibility IMO.

It has an annoying fit around the chin. If i wanted to fully zip the front, id get bunching at my chest/neck, it would also make the rear rise up.

Breathability was ok, but i was always aware the coat was quite warm, so no matter how well it breathed, my sweat would always get too much for it and im not a very sweaty person.

Really good for staying dry on the commute, where i wasn’t putting in too much effort for too long. Too bulky and heavy for when i was out in the hills putting in effort.

I much prefer lightweight shells such as the montane minimus.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Endura MT500 coat – user feedback’ is closed to new replies.