Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Ending a shower with a cold blast. Do you?
  • spekkie
    Free Member

I know we’ve established previously that half the people on here don’t shower regularly, but that aside, of those that do – anyone end their shower with a 30 second blast of cold water?

https://www.33fuel.com/blogs/default-blog/news-cold-shower-benefits

TheBrick
    Free Member

Only my colonics

fasthaggis

No.
    Are you a Priest?

matt_outandabout

Having had a Butt n Ben cottage with no heating in the bathroom or kitchen, and a less than stellar electric shower, mrs_oab and I are well versed in cold showers.

Never by choice though.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Yes. Tried it a few years ago after hearing some Australian herbalist going on about it. And restarted recently after listening to One good thing on the radio.

The nice part about a cold shower is when it stops

jrawarren

Yes, frequently. The wife has never got the message about not turning on the kitchen hot tap when I am in the shower.

nstpaul

^ Are you sure? 😉

topper

Since reading one of Wim Hoff’s books I’ve been ending my warm showers with a minute or two of cold water every day. It’s a chore to start it but it becomes a habit quickly.

I’m not sure of all the benefits but I do know I’m a changed me pre cold to post cold. It does for me what an espresso can’t.

Love it and recommend every one give it a go!

funkmasterp

Nope, have mine hot enough to make the devil cry

finephilly
    Free Member

I have cold showers all the time, especially in summer.

topper

One comfort benefit is that if you finish your shower routine with cold water,no matter how could the ambient temperature you’ll feel warm.

What I’ve noticed is that the discomfort of cold only lasts for the first 15 to 30 seconds, after that it’s all smiles.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ha! I do this. I’ve been doing it so long that I can’t remember why I do it. Something I’ve read or watched on YouTube.

topper

Jambourgie, good to hear it. What does it bring you. interested to know.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, for a couple of minutes. Wakes me up.

db

No never, madness

johncoventry

Yes have done for years. I always rinse off with cold.
    People don’t believe me when I say it warms me up and I come out the shower feeling really warm.
    Also convinced I get less colds and if I do get one it’s not as bad.

Actually the real reason is I am a tight fisted Yorkshire man and it saves me some cash.

sirromj

A while ago, yes, then I got into jumping into the shower before it warmed up as soon as I turned the tap on. But lately, no, other than occasionally on a really hot day. Should give it another go.

When do you turn it cold? While you are still washing the last parts to be washed or after washing?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yes,for one minute at the end.On the positive side, it means nothing in the rest of your day can be as unpleasant.It also keeps you warm in winter and helps with any muscle aches.

Keva
    Free Member

Ye been doing it for years

lister

No no no. Warm steamy fuzziness is the only way to start the day.
    You’re all weird.

dyna-ti

Scottish series regatta up in Tarbert on Loch Fyne. If you are lucky, you can get a hot shower, but more often than not, and i think this is because the public showers only have a 10 ltr boiler, the water is cold.
    Not fun, but better than nowt.
    Mind you, you’re usually still pissed from the night before, so maybe its the organizers way of waking everyone up 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

Jambourgie, good to hear it. What does it bring you. interested to know.

Well. It wakes me up quickly. Good for work days as I’ve always been a bit of a night-owl, despite working normal hours these days. It also kind of warms me up for the day, it seems to raise my general temperature or something. I used to really feel the cold, I’d be described by northerners as ‘nesh’, always ramping the heating up etc.

Also, a personal theory; but I think it toughens one up somewhat. It’s only small, but a quick blast of cold/unpleasantness in an otherwise completely safe and comfortable day does seem to have a bit of a positive effect on my attitude. It’s hard to put my finger on exactly. You’d probably get the same effect cycling to work in the freezing rain tbh.

K

Yep quite regularly, if I’ve not done it for a while I’ll make sure I prepare for the cold shock inhale with a good deep breath before I go in.

scotroutes

Nah. I get my cold water therapy in the local lochs (and rivers when the lochs eventually freeze over and the ice axe won’t cut through any more).

alpin
    Free Member

Yup…. After each shower. Often will take a cold shower in summer.

Refreshing.

slowoldman

No.
    Are you a Priest?

Or went to public school?

I know we’ve established previously that half the people on here don’t shower regularly…

Define regularly. Twice a day and once a year are both regular.

mtbqwerty

Are we talking 100% cold, or with a little bit of heat to take the edge off?

I used to in the past if my muscles were still aching from the previous days workout/big ride…seemed to work great in flushing out the limbs. Haven’t needed to for a while now, so either I’m a machine, or just don’t push as hard.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Tried it for the first time this morning. I’m converted! Why have I never tried it before

grahamt1980

I normally wash my hair with warm then turn it full cold and wash everything else. I do feel more awake after it, i don’t understand why many people seem to run around and scream at cold water though

Coyote
    Free Member

Yes. Been doing this for a couple of years now. Read that it was really good for something that I can’t remember now. To be honest it does really make me feel “better” to the point where when I am at the gym where the temperature is set, I miss the cold blast.

TiRed

I turn down the heat for a last rinse. Also stand for 10 second to allow water to run off to save drenching towels.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Doubt 10 seconds makes much of a difference.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ten hours. He meant ten hours

2orangey4crows

I started doing this in 2005 – though back then it was a way to train my body for the cold water of white water kayaking. 30 secs turned to a minute, then turned to 2, and now I just cold shower all the time.

Health benefits? Maybe, can’t say I notice after all this time. But I am very, very good at getting into cold water.

sargey

My gentleman’s sausage comes out in a hot shower,I really don’t want it to disappear again!

spekkie
    Free Member

The reason this came up was that we watched a documentary called “My Octopus Teacher” about a guy that swam in the sea off the coast of Cape Town every day for a year.

The sea off Cape Town never gets very warm and in winter it’s flippin’ freezing – but he did it and said that after as very short while, not only was it bearable but that his body actually craved it. This lead to a bit of research on my part and here we are ….

We’ve been doing it since the day I started this thread. I have a warm shower for washing myself over then gradually decrease the mix to as low as I can take, which is pretty cold but not freezing, and I do it for maybe 30 secs. Mrs Spekkie, after a warm wash, does the “full on cold for 10 secs” method.

Takes your breath away but it IS addictive, despite the “pain” – much like eating hot chillies!

grahamt1980

Wait until you start wanting to get into open water in the winter.
    I got down to 1.9°c water temp this winter and it was an experience. Want to break ice next winter

2orangey4crows

Yes, it’s definitely addictive. If I end up somewhere where the shower settings are fixed and I have a warm one then it does feel like somethings missing.

safi

Eh naw.

espressoal
    Free Member

Apparently…..cold water shocks you into a survival mode, this is apparently very good for you physically and mentally, in fact longer submersion has been shown(apparently) to be seriously beneficial for all sorts of things from physical to mental issues, there is a whole science behind it and it’s pretty compelling.

Would I do it after a nice warm shower? no fk that I’m Scottish, I can just go outside and freeze, and will..all winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Ending a shower with a cold blast. Do you?’ is closed to new replies.