Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • End of interview questions.
  • TiRed

Big companies use pre-defined questions for very good reasons.

Depends. HR interviews do. Technical interviews do not always. I have some standard themes though.

I always ask as my last question “what’s the most interesting new scientific development you’ve seen over the past year outside of your field, and why do you think that?”

Looking for intellectual curiosity. About half the candidates answer Errrrr. I interviewed 30 candidate last year. Three this week alone.

mariner
    Free Member

Who does your catering?

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve ring fenced a few unicorns there. Pillars, on boarding? Where do you work where reprisals are invaluable, the Oval Office?

I am the fake tan applicator to the orange manchild. We have strict on-boarding process defined by the CIA, we also take stool samples and nasal hair samples which allows us to genetically profile you, and we share the results with our large Pharmaceutical partners.

Its just part of what we do to keep you safe.

northernsoul

“Do you have any questions?” Can be quite revealing as to how much someone has thought about a role and what their ambitions are.

shermer75
    Free Member

Shots?

chewkw
    Free Member

If I was your boss and had provided a list of interview questions that you refused to use, …

I know where you are getting at with that big companies lines … remember I am an “expert” in Bureaucratic related organisation? 😀

No, you might think that you have been fair or comply with whatever equality rules by asking fair questions to all, then by justifying comparing apple with apple, but that is also where you completely missed the really good candidates that might not fit your “standardised” views. I have seen candidates that were so good at dealing with standardise questions they got the job, then we found out the hard way later on. Oh well after a year we started the recruitment process again …

… you’d be quickly on your way to interviews elsewhere but from the other side of the table.

😮 I challenged them. I did. Regardless. As I knew their decisions would impact on my team’s performance and I would get blame. (they did that to me but I saw that coming but it was hard one year work) 😀

Put it another way if bosses are unable to convince me then they have very poor management skills. People comply Not because the bosses are better at managing people (large companies) but because of the power of the bureaucrats and the system that is in place.

Oh yes … those bosses are all gone. Fired, made redundant for being unable to manage, poor leadership and management skills, underperformed for the entire unit etc and guess who were/are working for them … exactly, those candidates that they recruited using the standardised matrix system.
    They reap what they sow. 🤣

Big companies use pre-defined questions for very good reasons.

Not doubting that for the obvious reasons of complying with law of equality etc and able to compare apple to apple.

Doing the things right or doing the right things? I suspect the former as it is Very difficult to do the latter nowadays in big companies.

Back to the original question – I’d ask about the induction process (for me always seemed quite nerve-wracking) and how they’re going to train you for the specifics of the role; how they anticipate the job changing and evolving in the future; and also what the social side of the company is like. Are there clubs? Regular nights out? Trips away?

Normally, I would describe and explain all that related to inductive process before asking questions.

I mean who in their right mind in this present world, especially large organisation, do not provide some forms of details on their inductive process?

Secondly, when you ask them about inductive process what if they don’t have the area that you would want to be train in? Reject their offer? Ask them to provide you one?

how they anticipate the job changing and evolving in the future;

Most jobs don’t change as simple as that.

and also what the social side of the company is like. Are there clubs? Regular nights out? Trips away?

Are you really going to ask those questions? 😃

RobHilton
    Free Member

Umm… On it’s feet. I think you mean buttered it’s back.

Cats have paws, not feet – when do I start?

Flaperon

Are you really going to ask those questions? 😃

Yes, why not? Many people are with just the one company for their whole career.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, why not? Many people are with just the one company for their whole career.

Yes, you can ask but that is risky. So far I have only come across one or two persons who have been with the same company for their entire career.

My interpretation of someone asking that question regarding social club in a company is a person who have no life outside of workplace and dependent on the company to make life good for them. i.e. A person who is reactive and needs a lot of guidance. I would avoid hiring such person.

IA

If you’re the interviewer:

Is there anything I’ve not asked you about on your CV or past work that you’d expected me to, or you’d like to talk about?

(sometimes you miss something good, or the candidate hasn’t put something on the CV that turns out to be relevant once they know more about the role).

If you’re the candidate:

Are there any areas you’re thinking I’m weak on, or reasons you’ll be not sure about me as a candidate? I’d like a chance to talk about them now whilst I’m here, so you can make the right decision.

(give them a chance to say “we’re not sure you could do X” and you can convince them, or explain how you know that but you’d be good at the rest of the job and learn X).

chewkw
    Free Member

@IA 👍

Good response that for both parties.

That shows maturity.

You’re hired! 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What have you heard recently on the jungle drums?

project
    Free Member

Does the firm have secure bike parking, segregated showers and drying/changing rooms, and a bike to work scheme.

Where can i read your active travel plan, and how do you implement it.

project
    Free Member

Also whats the dress code, schoolboy suit and tie or working man casual, and why

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘End of interview questions.’ is closed to new replies.