Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Employment Question
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I have the chance to do a course through work. It’s a post-grad certificate and certainly well thought of in my industry. It’ll take a year to complete.

If I drop out of the course or leave the company up to a year after completing the course, I’m liable for the complete cost (£1k) which I think is fair enough. If I leave between 1 and 2 years after completing the course, I’m liable for £500. Doing the course would tie me to the company for 3 years. I hold a junior position and most likely would have been promoted in March if there wasn’t a recession.

All things being equal, I don’t see me staying here 3 years being a problem as long as my career is developing as quickly as it ought to. I would hate to be in a position where I’m desperate to leave as my career has stagnated, and be liable for £1k or £500.

What do you reckon, should I go for it? If I don’t it would probably look like I lack ambition and I wouldn’t progress as quickly. If I do, I’m tied to the company for 3 years irregardless of what happens. How easy would it be for them to make me pay if I left?

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m not sure that they can enforce it, but if they do they can deduct it from any holiday pay you’d be entitled to.

rob1984p
    Free Member

If they are prepared to pay for it it must be worthy and over the course of your career will probably pay you the £500 many many times over. If I was in your position i’d go for it if I could shake my laziness.

Stoner
    Free Member

The reimbursement is enforced through a side contract.

I had one when I did a part time MSc – funded by one of my former employers. It was about £5k I think.

£1k isnt a lot, you can of course always negotiate a golden handshake to cover it from your prospective employer when you move. Especially if you are headhunted.

You should certainly go for it IMO. £1k is not a lot for qualification that you say is well rgarded, recognised in the industry and is transferable.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If you leave and they want their money then they will have to sue. It would cost them a lot more than the cost of the course. They won’t bother.

That’s what my solicitor told me.

Flaperon

This can be up to £20000 for some companies, and payable up front. £1k? Consider yourself lucky and go for it.

Stoner
    Free Member

zed is quite right. They can only recover the money through the courts, and for that sum they really wouldnt bother.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW zedsdead, how’s your “employment” issue going?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I should stay where you are for a while…not sure anybody would employ someone using the word “irregardless”….hee hee 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Employment Question’ is closed to new replies.