Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Employment law and dangerous sports/activities
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Work are basically talking about sacking everyone and the re-employing us all the next day on new terms and conditions.

A few of the T&C have caused a few sharp intakes of breath. Sick leave on full pay is going from 6 months to 3 months (it's perhaps the largest employer in the City). However, they reserve the right to suspend sick pay for those injured taking part in dangerous sports/activities. Now, I can't remember the last time I have any leave because of injury but there's not even a list of what they class as dangerous. Ironically, this is the same employer who encourages people to cycle to work. Oh yes, they also want to put every one on 6 months probation!

Am I being overly sensitive here or is this out of order (or even legal)?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well out of order. Of dubious legality the whole shenanigans. They simply cannot do that – sack everyone and remploy on reduced T&C

I don't know specifically on the dangerous sports exemption but I would be very surprised if it would be allowable.

Join a union ASAP – you are going to need one

Onzadog
    Free Member

It would seem that it was Unison that got us to this position. They refused to ballot members on the original proposals offered. Two other unions did and returned 80% yes votes. Not sure I'm overly impressed with unions right now.

tazzymtb

sounds like the sort of stunt a certain manufacturer of big yellow diggers used to pull on a regular basis.

if you injure yourself, just say it was a DIY accident, they can't prove otherwise 😉

amodicumofgnar

Isnt there some legal gubins that says you get redundancy pay if you've been employed for more than two years. Think this also applies to contract and temporary staff? That's the upside – down side is I didnt think a company could make someone redundant and then take on staff to fill that role within a year or two.

Does sound highly suspect – go see citizens advice if your not in a union.

Kuco

I'm with Unison and imo I think they are a sack of shit 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Best bit is, it we agree to all this by the 5th May, we get an "incentive payment", if we don't agree, we lose the incentive and then they sack those who didn't sign up and offer us our old jobs back with revised terms. The incentive sounds an awful lot like a bribe.

But I think you're right, my stairs look very dangerous. I could have a nasty fall down there at any time!

Trekster

unions are a waste of our hard earned cash imo. esp mine who seem to swan around the world visiting Thia bars!!!

Yes they can do it, has been done by a number of firms locally.

If my works colleagues carry on down the path they are going I reckon my work place will be doing the same.

The way round the "law" is to give all the jobs a new title and job description. Hence the probation period which is then used to get rid of all the wasters which the company were unable to do before.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They are trying it on – do not accept. Take 'em for unfair dismissal if they sack you – its a bluff – they won't sack you unless they are really stupid.

Trekster – thats a load of bollox. They only get away with it if the workforce let them.

aracer
    Free Member

IANAL, but provided you've worked there for at least a year they can't sack you without a good reason – ie something disciplinary. There's no way that sacking the entire workforce in order to change T&Cs is legal. Similarly they can't make you all redundant and then re-employ you – the re-employing bit rather implies your jobs weren't redundant in the first place.

I'd be unimpressed with your employer, not the union – it's them trying to do the bully boy thing. Seems perfectly reasonable for the union to reject the terms without going to a ballot if they're making your T&Cs worse without any upside.

Trekster

given your current personal circumstances what are your options onza?

Confident about getting a new job similar or better than your current T&Cs? What options do you have?

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's the rub. Seems they've been developing this plan since 1997 but are making the most of "the current economic climate" as an excuse for being extra stingy now. They know most people are living hand to mouth and would be too scared to put up a fight. If I'm honest, I'm probably in the same position, I just really, really hate bullies.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I can't imagine why you wouldn't take TJ's advice on this, but I bet it would be foolhardy not to…

Trekster

Trekster – thats a load of bollox. They only get away with it if the workforce let them.

Entitled to your opinion TJ but that is fact. My life experiences differ from yours obviously.
    My neighbour works for one such company and I played squash with others who work in a factory not 1/2ml from where I am typing this. The option was accept a new contract(within a certain period)or we shut the factory. Simple and to the point.

My work has a USA parent company and is a world player and would /could easily shut us down and transfer production to anywhere in the world, China or USA probably. We have gone from 1300 or so when I started to just over 350 and still going down.

2 contractor guys I work with worked for a local company and went on a 3wk strike for not to dissimilar reasons to the OP. The factory closed within a year after they agreed to the companies revised offer and went back to work.

My wife works in the civil service and I can assure you they are not immune from such dirty dealings and the PCS is now a swear word in her office. A union rep came to her office looking for support recently for strike action to protect job centre jobs. My wifes office is quite new and at least 50% of her workers are ex job centre employees who jumped rather than be made redundant. Some for less money. These ex job centre employees new that some of their ex colleagues were not looking for work, just waiting for a package to "retire" on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trekster – there is law in this country for a good reason. USA companies often try union breaking activities but what the OP is suggesting his company want to do is simply illegal.

You can accept of you can fight for your legal rights.

theboatman
    Free Member

I had my terms and conditions changed under 'agenda for change' in the NHS. Also having watched Derbyshire County Council go through Single status, which is essentially job re-evaluation processes, where staff are infrormed their current contracts will end on x date, and they are invited to sign up to a contract with new T&C's or not have a job. I am struggling to see how the OP's situation is illegal. And the unions, total waste of **** space, granted not just because they are useless, but aided by a apathetic workforce who seem happy to just have a job. On a similar note, Derby City Council staff have just had their essential car user allowance taken from their T&C's and have had to sign new contracts or not have a contract, perhaps things work different in the public/ private sector on these matters??

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Glasgow Herald did something similar a couple of years back (a friend worked there at the time). Surprised me that it could be done legally but it was.

Basically they all had their employment terminated but were allowed to re-apply for jobs, however my friend decided not to re-apply.

druidh
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – Member
    I can't imagine why you wouldn't take TJ's advice on this, but I bet it would be foolhardy not to…

I have the greatest admiration for TJ, but you would need to know that his "lifestyle choices" would not be for everyone. Therefore, while it is OK for him to go on about fighting for ones legals rights, for the majority of workers in this forum/country a more pragmatic approach will likely be required. This is especially so in the private sector and when dealing with multi-nationals.

Talkemada
    Free Member

What would be funny, would be if they sacked everyone, and they all just buggered off to other jobs. That firm would be fecked.

Sadly, I doubt that would be possible, given the current job shortages. Companies are acting like complete chunts; taking advantage of people's job insecurity.

The Law more often than not, favours the big corporations. Surprise surprise…

Bastards. The lot of them.

El-bent
    Free Member

Therefore, while it is OK for him to go on about fighting for ones legals rights, for the majority of workers in this forum/country a more pragmatic approach will likely be required. This is especially so in the private sector and when dealing with multi-nationals.

Pragmatic=scared. This won't be much help to Onzadog, but how long are we going to let this continue?

druidh
    Free Member

As epicsteve says, this process has been going on for years, with some of the largest companies and largest/most powerful unions involved, If it was in any way "illegal" we'd have known about it before now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    I have the greatest admiration for TJ, but you would need to know that his "lifestyle choices" would not be for everyone. Therefore, while it is OK for him to go on about fighting for ones legals rights, for the majority of workers in this forum/country a more pragmatic approach will likely be required. This is especially so in the private sector and when dealing with multi-nationals.

Sorry, I thought everyone would realise that an extreme view should be taken with either a pinch of salt or as gospel, does STW need anything else?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – There is basic law involved – the reason companies get away with it is by frightening the workforces into accepting.

You have a contract of employment – you cannot be sacked without good reason and going thru some basic procedures.

Nor can you be made redundant and then you or someone else is employed to do the same job.

You can agree to changes in your contract and you can be bought out of your contract – but sacking people then remploying them on worse terms and conditions is not possible.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Nor can you be made redundant and then you or someone else is employed to do the same job.

Whilst this is technically true (it's not the person, but the position that is made redundant), in practice, the Law means bugger all. I've been made redundant a few times; by Law, I'm supposed to be informed that I can reapply for my old job, if it becomes viable once more, but I never have. Not that I'd go back to any of the firms anyway; 'redundancy' is a convenient way of an employer getting rid of an employee, and and employee getting out of a job they don't want to be in, yet remaining eligible for any benefits they otherwise wouldn't get if they resigned or were sacked.

As for the rest of it- big companies seem to be able to act with impunity. Bastards.

Who can I blame? 🙄

juan
    Free Member

Who can I blame?

Now that's easy… Tatcher 😀 like you even need to ask.

uplink
    Free Member

Happened to me in the past
    Big company, big union [what's now Unite]

The company basically said that there were too many different Ts & Cs throughout the workforce & they needed to consolidate them as they weren't any longer relevant to the job.
    Anyway – loads of consultation etc. that ended in stalemate so we were basically told to take it or leave it from a certain date – if we turned up for work that day, we were accepting the new Ts & Cs
    The Union advised that we comply

IIRC 3 or 4 refused to accept the conditions, & later took their case to a tribunal [which the union refused to support] – they all lost.

to the OP – times are tough in the employment market & only you know what your personal situation is, only you can really decide whether to roll over or fight. It may be worth saving the fight for another day.
    Fighting from a position of not having a job will be tough & getting another one whilst in the middle of an industrial dispute may not be the easiest thing you've ever done.

They may well be pushing the legalities in some places but you can be sure they're well advised & well funded.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

to the sacking/re-employing – sounds very dodgy to me.

to the dangerous activities contracts – I'm on the same.

uplink
    Free Member

It's not unusual to see clauses regarding dangerous activities/sports
    It usually goes along the lines of 'if it's causing excessive absence' etc.
    I've also seen clauses relating to elective surgery

They usually suggest taking out your own insurance policy

Onzadog
    Free Member

Out of all they've proposed, it's he dangerous activities clause that's bothering me most. It would appear that they're saying they don't want a fit active workforce despite more than enough reports out there evidencing the fact that this overall produces lower absence from work and faster recover should you fall ill. Still, should the worst happen, riding a push bike through the park can't be classed as dangerous. I just don't explain that it was The Peak District National Park. Now, anyone got any good ideas how to "explain" a martial arts injury should it happen?

I'd love to be able to fight this but as said above, it wouldn't be easy with no job and no money. Despite it sounding very very dodgy, I have to assume they've got a big team of lawyers behind this. It's a local authority I work for so it's good to see them leading by example.

I think the only get out might be if they ask people to sign a new contract without fully disclosing the terms and conditions (like what they consider to be a dangerous activity).

uplink
    Free Member

It would appear that they're saying they don't want a fit active workforce

I'm not sure they are – I guess they don't particularly want to fund someone who – say – races MX badly & is injured every other week

druidh
    Free Member

The No. 1 cause of long-term absence in the local Fire Brigade used to be mountain biking injuries – may still be. There are safer ways of being "fit & active".

tron
    Free Member

My old work did a change of contract on us. I looked into it on one of the govt's "know your rights" type websites, and you had two options – either accept it, or get sacked and go to a tribunal. It had a few odious clauses – one in particular was that we were obliged to do overtime (overtime in our line of work often consisting of working all night).

After they'd changed the contracts, the same firm of HR consultants advised them on how to make about 50% of the staff on my level and the level above redundant.

So my advice is to do the complete opposite of what TJ says and keep your mouth shut. In the near future you can guarantee that they'll be getting rid of people, and they're planning to do it again (no reason for them to sack you and re-employ you EXCEPT to reduce your redundancy rights). I'd start looking in the job pages and jump before you're shoved.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I'm a moutainbiker not a lawyer, so I suggest you get together with 5 or 6 colleagues and share the cost on an hour's legal advice. Could be the best 20 quid you ever spent but even if not at least you'll know.

Probably the broad strokes of they're doing is not illegal (they have lawyers too and if they're as big as you say they will have covered their bases) however they could be trying it on and once you've signed you could have lost recourse. The small print, OTOH (dangerous sports etc etc) may well be unenforcible, but will likely be trotted out by some idiot middle manager who wants to control his/her minions.

My sympathies; I have been in this situation, but in a country with no real labour law to speak of, so had to lump it.

nickc

Not illegal unfortunately. Depends really, do you want a job or a fight? 3 months sick pay? I don't get paid at all if I'm off sick…As for dangerous sports, cycling isn't, neither is mountain biking. What these things are looking at is stuff like sky diving, lion wrestling, aardvark annoying, that sort of shit…

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 2p: IIRC employers CAN force non-material changes of T&Cs on you, and as sick pay is not statutory, I imagine they could get away with not paying for injuries from dangerous sports.

Seems odd to me that they could sack you for not signing up to them, but it's not my area.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

juan – Member

Who can I blame?

Now that's easy… Tatcher like you even need to ask.

Hah. Isn't it Brown whose got us into this current state of affairs, blaming a leader from the 80's for everything is a bit like blaming Nixon for everything bike thats stolen in the UK.
    Brown even admitted at the weekend that he'd fücked up not controlling the banks enough when he was chancellor.

I'd suggest OP doesn't raise the issue of "dangerous sports" definition, as as soon as he's off sick then management will be scrutinising why he's off etc, there'll be plenty of other wide tied city boyz getting skiing & boarding injuries through winter months to deflect attention away from him.

Agree it is shite what his employers are trying to do, agree Unison is shite as well.

rkk01
    Free Member

Lots of Local Authorities are doing this at the moment.

Several of the Authorities that went unitary last year are skint now and have made everyone re-apply for their jobs.

One LA that my wife did some supply teaching work for brought in a rule that teachers would be dismissed if they had two periods of sick leave within one 12 month period.

It's pretty galling that a public body behaves in this fashion, but during my adult working career I have increasing viewed LA's as the weak spot in our democratic and administrative process. They tend to be a law unto themselves – and largely unfettered by any shred of competence.

Even where council officers are diligent, competent and professional they are time after time let down by grubby little councillors / members who rarely look beyond their own self interest

owenfackrell
    Free Member

In my last place they changed what was covered under the health scheme to not include extreme sports but they used a list as supplied by the insurance industry and bike wasn't rated high enough to count but things like sking and kite boarding did. They can change you t&c's when doing it by consaultaton.

ribena
    Free Member

how do they know what you were doing when you were injured?
    can't you just say you were out for a (non-extreme) walk ?

clubber
    Free Member

A lot of times, mtbing isn't considered a dangerous sport – certainly mtbing is typically not excluded from travel insurance policies which usually explicitly list sports they consider dangerous.

IMO you're going to have to acceept the deal being offered unless you want a big fight with a high probability of losing at the end and lots of stress irrespective. I'd just check what sports they consider dangerous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Employment law and dangerous sports/activities’ is closed to new replies.