Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Employee car damaged. Do we cough up?
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

One of our employees had their car damaged in our car park. To cut a long story short, we had a trainee fork lift trunk driver collide with a her car. There is a large sign in the car park stating that employee's park at their own risk etc. Question is, are we, the employers still liable to pay for the damages? We've had quotes of £500 for the repairs to her car, which is basically a new headlight and a bumper respray.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Imagine if it was your car……

Smee
    Free Member

Yes. Disclaimers arent worth shit if someone has been negligent…

the-muffin-man

Morally you should pay up.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I wouldn't want to work for your company if you're letting trainee forklift truck drivers practice in your carpark.

If you don't pay you'll alienate her and probably other employees.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don't be such a tight ass ffs. Can't believe the question has been asked.!

algarvebairn
    Free Member

tight get. cough up

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, you pay. Disclaimers aside you (the company) have been negligent

Brown
    Free Member

How much do you want her to stay at your company?

mtbfix

Morally you should pay up.

+1

clubber
    Free Member

I think you should pay. Aside from the legalities and morality of it, the message being sent out to your employees if you try and wriggle out of it is that you don't give a s**t about them and that is arguably likely to cost a lot more than £500 in the long run as people remember that sort of thing.

I'd echo the message about letting trainee drivers loose near people's cars though…

BigJohn

Yes, I think it's clear cut. You should repair her car. And learn not to put an apostrophe to signify a plural.

simon1975

The alternative is to let her insurer chase your insurer, in which case you'll still pay!

ski
    Free Member

What about replacing the sign in the car park for a Job vacancy for a forklift driver?

😉

skidartist
    Free Member

The sign is just stating that you're offering no special protection or care for people who park there, so if a client's or employee's car was burgled or vandalised by a third party you've made no special promise to keep it safe. Unlike if it was stated to be a secure/guarded and parking there came with an assurance.

But it was your company's forklift and your company's employee/trainee driving it so of course the company is liable, you'll be liable for anything you damage. Your public liability would cover it wouldn't it?

midlifecrashes

No question, and not just handing over cash either, unless that's specifically what she wants. Get her a hire car, organise collection and repair of hers, together with a valet and a big bunch of flowers. In the meantime get your finger out and sort your health and safety out before someone gets killed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't believe anyone is actually asking this question – talk about trying to wriggle out of things. Training drivers in the car park without decent barriers/space? Hoping you can get away with damaging property because you've stuck a disclaimer up – what sort of a company is this?

carbon337
    Free Member

im angry just reading this cant believe you had to ask the stw massive.

Has your company no morals and respect for its staff?

Your not a major uk telecoms by any chance are you – thats what my lot are like

elliptic
    Free Member

What skidartist said. I'd see "employees park at their own risk" as a disclaimer for damage caused by a third party.

But in this case it's clearly the company's fault, so they should pay up.

skidartist
    Free Member

In the meantime get your finger out and sort your health and safety out before someone gets killed.

Well yes that too. I hope you're looking after the trainee, poor sod, he must feel awful about it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Think it has been said really, morally and probably legally, pay up. The real issue is how did the trainee hit it. Inadequately supervised? Inadequately trained? Both could be pretty serious issues and will be questioned if anything else happens.

skidartist
    Free Member

I'm going to stick a sign on the front of my van saying "Pedestrians stand about at their own risk" then mow down a bus queue 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I reckon cough up immediately and be very nice to her and hope she doesn't make a fuss about poor H+S and training procedures. Can't believe the question is being asked really.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

if said employee damaged your car in the same car park would you just let it go? Don't think so somehow.

speaks volumes that you've asked this question in the first place

merry christmas

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I'm guessing Daisy might regret posting this question!!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

You could say that!

oddjob
    Free Member

I've noticed a patern emerging here.
    It seems that the general opinion is that you should pay up and do it quickly with an apology, a smile and a bunch of flowers for the inconvenience.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

..and let her wee in the forklift drivers shoes*

*not necessary but it is a while since I have seen the phrase on STW and thought I would revive its use.

skidartist
    Free Member

Yes flowers and two great big corks on the end of the forklift forks.

DrP

As has been said – pay up!

Just because a sign has been put up, you cannot shirk your responsibilities if you/your employee has been neglegent.

Was the forklift driver trying to jack up the car – car jenga stylee….

DrP

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Spend the £500 on a bike for her

AndyP
    Free Member

let the employee worry about the repairs. Meanwhile change the carpark to a forklift training area, and implement the bike to work scheme.

IA

If the forklift driver managed to hit a large stationary object (a car) I'd not like to risk walking about that carpark, say to my car…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqd4aPs5WTA (you want to watch it right through)

gusamc
    Free Member

if an employee chinned you in the employee car park would you say no probs I realise that "employee's park at their own risk etc"

jon1973
    Free Member

I vote we all wee in Daisy_Duke's shoes 😆

DrJ

..and let her wee in the forklift drivers shoes*

*not necessary but it is a while since I have seen the phrase on STW and thought I would revive its use.

And own him with Bombers.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Thanks all for your responses! To be fair, we were never in disagreement with paying for the damage to her car, but some of the damage the employee was claiming for so minor you had to get a magnifying glass out to see it. I'm not joking here I promise. Also just to point out that the car park was not used as a training area. The driver of the runaway FLT went through a roller shutter door which took 99% impact. It only damaged the car on the exit. Feel sorry for the FLT driver and glad he wasn't hurt himself. He said he hit the accelerator rather than the brake!

bigbloke
    Free Member

ffs, trainee's should'nt be driving around unsupervised anyhow?.

damage is damage, pay up. If it was yours or other management's car/property i doubt there would be so much indecision regards the handling of the whole event.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

BB, how do you know he was unsupervised? 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does it matter if a magnifying glass is needed? If the car was unmarked before, it should be repaired to that standard. And the poor sod is left with a car that has respray on it that rarely matches up to original paintwork and can reduce its second-hand value.

Pay in full, grovel and do whatever is needed to satisfy the employee 100%

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Employee car damaged. Do we cough up?’ is closed to new replies.