Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Emma Raducanu: Tennis star receives MBE at Windsor Castle
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

I bet you cant name a country that doesnt have some form of recognition for citizens who are leaders in their fields. What about the Nobel prizes? They’re just for the day job?

Also, weren’t the 2012 olympics basically a triumph?

tjagain

thestabiliser

But tre UK ones are all about empire and aristocracy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, theyre used to legitimise the monarchy, but that doesnt mean the recipients dont deserve them

ransos
    Free Member

This reeks to me of the same sort of corruption as the VIP fastlane for PPE

An 18-year-old qualifier wins one of the biggest competitions in tennis, and receives a national award commonly awarded to successful sports people.

You may think that’s corrupt; I think you need to have a word with yourself.

stevextc
    Free Member

Also, weren’t the 2012 olympics basically a triumph?

Eh, we couldn’t even do the security and called in the army like a developing country?
    The whole thing was rife with corruption showing us to be a developing country…and lot of people on minimum wage lost their jobs due to closing down central london.

Unless you are a friend of Seb or Boris it’s hard to see how the Olympics were a success by anything that actually matters….

MoreCashThanDash

But tre UK ones are all about empire and aristocracy.

The UK ones are looking to review the names of the titles to move away from that, iirc, though to be fair, as a nation we probably have higher priorities.

stevextc
    Free Member

The UK ones are looking to review the names of the titles to move away from that, iirc, though to be fair, as a nation we probably have higher priorities.

This second bit is my point about the celebs and such.
    Some celebs actually do amazing stuff and to some extent can because they are celebs … Marcus Rashford springs first to mind. Much as I think he is awesome for doing this many other people who just aren’t celebs are doing amazing work in the community … I have no idea how good he is at kicking a bag of air across grass and don’t care but surely that is what we should be recognising not just winning some game or other.

Meanwhile the fashion editor of the telegraph gets a honour for “services to fashion”.

I can’t believe no-one nominated Marcus Rashford but obviously Services to Fashion is more important.. or is it just who submits the nomination???

MSP

I can’t believe no-one nominated Marcus Rashford

He got one last year for his campaigning.

Kryton57

I can’t help wondering how Stevextc would feel if England win the World Cup and Rashford’s gets upgraded to an OBE….

I think his head will explode.

stevextc
    Free Member

He got one last year for his campaigning.

Good for him …. if celebs are going to get them at all then he certainly deserves one.

I just object to people getting them for winning something its just stupid tribalism like you are doing something “good” for the country because you win some medal or other thing. Like it has any importance whatsoever what gold medals we do or don’t win unless you melt it down and use the money to do something actually useful its just a bit of metal.

redthunder
    Free Member

Meanwhile at the Windsor Castle badge and medal creating department…

William got to get some badges after all 😉

nickfrog
    Free Member

Good for him …. if celebs are going to get them at all then he certainly deserves one.

I just object to people getting them for winning something its just stupid tribalism like you are doing something “good” for the country because you win some medal or other thing. Like it has any importance whatsoever what gold medals we do or don’t win unless you melt it down and use the money to do something actually useful its just a bit of metal.

I think we get the message loud and clear Steve. It sounds like a very emotional subject for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.