Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Emma Raducanu: Tennis star receives MBE at Windsor Castle
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

WTAF!

Really? Wow.
    Somehow won one championship (OK, yeah, the US Open) and has superbly underachieved ever since.

Oh well!

weeksy

I don’t really get the sports people getting these if i’m honest.

I’d rather give them to the woman at the Salvation Army who’s given up every Sat morning to them since 1984.

I kind of understand how they bring a country together, sort of…. maybe… but still.. There’s got to be more worthy out there.

mashr

I’d rather give them to the woman at the Salvation Army who’s given up every Sat morning to them since 1984.

might get one if she was nominated

IHN

These people still get them, they just don’t make the news

ransos
    Free Member

Somehow won one championship (OK, yeah, the US Open)

So one of the most prestigious tournaments in tennis. I’m not a fan of the honours system in general but I’m not seeing the problem here.

vinnyeh

These people still get them, they just don’t make the news

Yeah, but they don’t get nominated the first Sunday they turn up at the soup kitchen do they?

Traditionally it’s a retrospective- you wait until a career is nearly over or at least at/past it’s peak before handing out the gongs.

TiRed

traditionally it’s a retrospective- you wait until a career is nearly over

I hope not! 😉

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/content/103437

“The Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) is awarded for an outstanding achievement or service to the community which has had a long-term, significant impact.”

Winning the US Open as a qualifier was an outstanding achievement.

MoreCashThanDash

The young lass who made a big boost to encourage young women into the sport with “our” best result in decades? Good luck to her.

In the meantime, crack on with your own volunteering and good deeds and you might get one too. Before you criticise, have you volunteered?

MoreCashThanDash

I hope not! 😉

🤣🤣

teenrat
    Free Member

And the lady at the soup kitchen doesn’t get paid hundreds of thousands for doing so.

An mbe for winning 6 tennis matches…..

ransos
    Free Member

Traditionally it’s a retrospective- you wait until a career is nearly over or at least at/past it’s peak before handing out the gongs.

A quick google tells me this isn’t true. Murray got an OBE in 2012 – at that point he had won the same number of majors as Raducanu…

vinnyeh

Exception noted- I meant as a sportsperson!

I guess in comparison to the likes of Konta, Robson  and Watson, all of whom had successful careers of length, and contributed hugely to the profile and development of womens tennis.

vinnyeh

A quick google tells me this isn’t true. Murray got an OBE in 2012 – at that point he had won the same number of majors as Raducanu…

Didn’t he also have a couple of Olympic medals by then? And at least 5 years finishing the season in the top 5 places?

ransos
    Free Member

I guess in comparison to the likes of Konta, Robson and Watson, all of whom had successful careers of length, and contributed hugely to the profile and development of womens tennis.

None of whom won a major title! Virginia Wade was awarded an MBE in 1973 – the early to middle part of career, and four years before she won Wimbledon. She’d won two majors at that point.

ransos
    Free Member

Didn’t he also have a couple of Olympic medals by then? And at least 5 years finishing the season in the top 5 places?

He won gold at 2012. But you were talking about awards usually being towards the end of careers – this is ten years ago and Murray is still playing!

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

My great aunt Freda was awarded an MBE and she’d never won a tennis tournament. Maybe not even a single tennis match!

(was for services to nursing ☺️)

ransos
    Free Member

That’s a point: two of my work colleagues have MBEs. They’re very much mid-career and I can’t confirm their racquet sport abilities.

leegee

My former employer fibbed to get one, I was very surprised they didn’t do more research before she got it.

ampthill

I always find it a bit sad that people need to be mean about other peoples ups and downs

Apparently she was the first ever qualifier to win a grand slam.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Before you criticise, have you volunteered?

As it happens I was a volunteer vaccinator for St John Ambulance for 12 months during covid
    Does that count?

(I didn’t win vast amounts of money or get £m’s of pounds of sponsorship either…. Unless you count a couple of T shirts and a fleece?)

If she had backed up her win with anything since then I’d be more understanding but so far…. Nothing.

dander

She’s doing her best to prove it was a miracle win. Hopefully she’ll get it together, stick with a coach for more than a few weeks, and win another tournament some time again.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

At the end of the day, the honours system is basically a PR construct that is perfect for increasing the soft power of the monarchy… they get to be seen with all the cool kids bowing down to them, all the while totally removed from politics or religion.

Meanwhile, the monarch is head of the Church of England and has private and confidential weekly meetings with whoever might be PM this week (not to mention a long history of associating with characters all too similar to Jeffrey Epstein).

DickBarton

Does it really matter what she has or hasn’t done? Somebody decided she is deserving of an award…if you weren’t in the running then it isn’t any skin of your nose, so not really a big deal…and if it is a big deal, then please explain why.

dyna-ti

And the moral of the story is. F*** helping others, go for yourself.

ransos
    Free Member

And the moral of the story is. F*** helping others, go for yourself.

Is it? A work colleague got her MBE for helping others.

the-muffin-man

If she had backed up her win with anything since then I’d be more understanding but so far…. Nothing.

She’s put together some awesome sponsorship deals that will set her up for life!! 😀

On a different note – is it protocol to keep your hat on when being honoured by the King!?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Apparently she was the first ever qualifier to win a grand slam

Boris in 85?

ransos
    Free Member

Boris in 85?

No, he was unseeded but not a qualifier.

martinhutch

Nah, he was unseeded at Wimbledon, but ranked about 20 in the ATP rankings.

mefty
    Free Member

Pretty standard, Olympic gold medal winners generally got one in the past, the lionesses got them, the 2003 Rugby World Cup team got them etc etc. Multiple winners and captains often get an upgrade, Eoin Morgan got a CBE. Knighthoods used to be given after careers, but that seems to have changed.

TiRed

Apparently she was the first ever qualifier to win a grand slam

if I recall correctly, she was the second. First was in the 1930s. Emma was the first in the open era. I’m not a tennis fan, but I did watch the game. History making. And that was a stat that I recall.

reeksy

At the end of the day, the honours system is basically a PR construct that is perfect for increasing the soft power of the monarchy… they get to be seen with all the cool kids bowing down to them, all the while totally removed from politics or religion.

I’m with Groucho on this.

metalheart
    Free Member

She’s (literally) the poster child in all this. Great for PR, Young, beautiful, talented, ‘ethnic’ & doesn’t speak out; the perfect ‘diversity’ Tory poster child then.

I’m not a tennis fan but even I can recognise her achievement. If she does nothing else she’s still managed more than most will ever do in a lifetime (tennis results wise).

It’s not like she’s receiving it because she’s bunged the tories a mill or two in cash, is it?

And I’d rather her than David Beckham (after Qatar)…

MoreCashThanDash

It’s not like she’s receiving it because she’s bunged the tories a mill or two in cash, is it?

Exactly. But it’s got the easily distracted focused on her and not them.

cookeaa

Exactly. But it’s got the easily distracted focused on her and not them.

TBF without the OP’s rage post, I’d have remained unaware and disinterested in Emma’s MBE…

Now I’m aware and still pretty disinterested, good luck to her, she’s a much better tennis player than anyone else I know. But it’s not really distracting me from all the other nonsense going on currently.

Maybe this isn’t such a burning injustice, just a bit of news fluff…

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

If it’s that easy, why not go and win the US Open yourself next year?

MoreCashThanDash

But it’s not really distracting me from all the other nonsense going on currently.

So you’re not one of the easily dis…..SQUIRREL!

poah
    Free Member

’d rather give them to the woman at the Salvation Army

I’d rather not give any recognition to a weird religious cult.

these awards/merits have no value these days as they are given to any tom dick or harry.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d rather not give any recognition to a weird religious cult.

these awards/merits have no value these days as they are given to any tom dick or harry.

That weird religious culture is still one of the most hands on organisations helping the needy and homeless, without indoctrinating them

The people who I know who have had awards really have done amazing work to earn the recognition. Including some on here.

Kryton57

It’s quite typical of this country that we can’t congratulate people for their achievements, but would rather find reason to pour scorn on them. It really is an unattractive trait in people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.