Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Emigration options post Brexit
  • sadexpunk

a lot of wise words and considerations above.

i’d love us to move to a small village or town on crete in 3 years time when i can hopefully retire, but that dreams looking further away now. not just brexit, but we’ve got a new grandaughter now who has stolen our hearts. id still go but im not so sure my wife could make the break for a good few years now.

we love greece so much that ive already started learning the language and whilst being over there a couple of weeks ago was having very basic conversations with the locals. it’ll be a shame if i can never realise this dream, but i just feel that there are too many legal hurdles now.
    itd make sense to keep the house and use the rent to pay for rent abroad, but to move there now you either have to buy a property for E250,000, or have E2,400 income per month, neither of which look likely once retired. my job doesnt transfer over either so im getting more and more resigned to staying over here which somewhat depresses me.

if not greece then france would be a decent second best, bit closer for family visits and a little better weather, but the legal hurdles dont appear to be much lower.

ho hum.

kilo

Moving to the EU from Uk is still possible, you just need a visa to move to Ireland, ftfy

p7eaven
    Free Member

Moving to the EU from Uk is still possible, you just need a visa to move to Ireland, ftfy

How easy is it to emigrate to Ireland with no Irish family history? Compared to, say, New Zealand (matters of distance/shipping excluded)?

kilo

Get on plane, get off plane, start new life. 😉

Common travel area, UK citizens can just move over, no restrictions, visas etc.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/ireland_and_the_uk/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html

I recommend the Iveragh peninsula if you’re moving.

Caher

Shhhh.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m thinking of spending my inheritance on a place in Portugal, I think it’s the one with the lowest entry price in terms of investment.

Fitting that the inheritance will come from brexit-voting ****.

Doesn’t Ireland have shit weather and no mountains, like a smaller and wetter version of where I am now (N Yorks)? Oddly, it’s the only one of the closest 10 or so european countries I’ve never visited.

roger_mellie

Doesn’t Ireland have shit weather and no mountains

I believe so. One of my wife’s criteria for moving is more sun, so I’m having trouble selling Ireland to her 😄

LAT

Fitting that the inheritance will come from brexit-voting ****.

unless the plans change and they leave the money to a cats home.

The instagram page trail_clones is worth a look as it takes the pish out of the ‘cool’ local MTB scene pretty well.

that makes squamish sound even more hostile towards outsiders than north wales!

kilo

Doesn’t Ireland have shit weather and no mountains

The weather can be a tad rainy at times but no mountains, wtaf?

https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/the-10-highest-mountains-in-ireland/

My father was born on the reeks Carauntoohil, the highest mountain in Ireland (+1000 metres), is part of.

Tbf though my younger brother has moved around a bit and he’s chosen Portugal.

Caher

I know a few people around where my Dad lives spend the summer in Ireland and winter in Portugal/Spain. Direct flights to Faro from Kerry airport.

winstonsmith

I can get an Irish passport but my wife cannot so little help.

If you are an EU national your wife and any children under 21 automatically have the same freedom of movement throughout the EEA as your family members. It doesn’t matter what their nationality is 👍

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks for proving my point about the “mountains”, the top 10 list starts just over 800m and most of those look like boggy mounds.

sam_underhill

If you are an EU national your wife and any children under 21 automatically have the same freedom of movement throughout the EEA as your family members. It doesn’t matter what their nationality is 👍

Does that hold true for working as well or is that just to live? ie can I work, living with my wife that has an Irish passport, somewhere in the EU or am I compelled to be a kept man / ski / MTB bum?

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m desperate to get away from the UK. Sure, I’ll only be packing up my troubles but I’d rather deal with those troubles in the sun than I would in cold, draughty house in cold, wet, damp south west Scotland.
    Going to stay in the UK for now while I’ve got the dog but after that, I think I’ll try vanlife and head off to the sun.
    If I could, I’d go to New Zealand but I’ve not got a hope of getting in sadly.

Caher

Thanks for proving my point about the “mountains”, the top 10 list starts just over 800m and most of those look like boggy mounds.

Yea looks like Ireland’s not for you.
    Cold, wet, boggy, no mountains. Like you said you’ve never been there.

Moe

We moved to Northern Portugal in October last year, it’s not been the smoothest ride with a few ‘flies in the ointment’ but we are getting there. In hindsight there are a few things we may have done differently but then again we also may not have done anything at all (had we known the full implications) so ultimately we are here and making the best of it and enjoying the reasons we came here. The Portuguese are a fantastically friendly and helpful people although the bureaucracy of local government is …. interesting!

LAT

yes, bureaucracy of other countries is not to be underestimated. even when it’s not too bureaucratic, it will be different.

even moving from the yukon to bc has been an eye opener.

dyna-ti

If only there was a part of the UK that wanted to go it’s own way and rejoin the EU.

Edukator
    Free Member

can I work, living with my wife that has an Irish passport, somewhere in the EU

Yes, you have the same rights as your partner.

sam_underhill

Yes, you have the same rights as your partner.

That’s nice to know. Thanks.
    Ski / MTB bum plans shelved. 😜

dudeofdoom

We moved to Northern Portugal in October last year, it’s not been the smoothest ride with a few ‘flies in the ointment’ but we are getting there.

Same but to Spain,it’s the little things that can get you, I have terrible delivery issues and post and ahh the fun of getting residency.

The weathers great thou and when somethings getting to you a quick bike ride around the fields with the amazing smells soon clears the mood.

Riding to the beach is also a magical experience.

I’d er hammer the language training before you go anywhere non-English.

I think the biggest issue is there is always a reason to not leave the U.K. unless you ‘do it’ there will never be an idea time.

Moe

Interesting episode with our baggage certificate…..

Posted forms tracked delivery from Ponte de Lima on the 10th it then went – Braga- Valencia (Spain)- Germany- Luton- Heathrow- (failed to deliver, insufficient address! (😕))- Luton- Heathrow- Delivered on 17th!

Since then, Sunday evening get e-mail from Consulate requesting payment which I did first thing Monday, then Monday afternoon an e-mail saying thank you and certificate will be sent out today via DHL ….. here’s hoping it gets back quicker than getting over there!🤞

Big up and thank you the Portuguese Consulate though! 👍 😁

SaxonRider

I can advise on places in Canada (I know it’s cold, but it is very, very sunny!) and the West Indies. There are islands to which you could probably emigrate with relative ease. I, myself, lived in St Kitts for a year back in the late 1990s.

molgrips
    Free Member

If only there was a part of the UK that wanted to go it’s own way and rejoin the EU.

London?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Emigration options post Brexit’ is closed to new replies.