Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Embarassed having top kit when you ain't much good?
  • keavo
    Free Member

🙂

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I've always said that it doesn't matter if you are good or bad at a sport….so long as you look good in the gear.

clubber
    Free Member

Sadly I no longer look good in it either 🙁

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Why eat mince if you can afford steak? Honestly do you people really think about this stuff a lot? There are some interesting insights into the self esteem issues people suffer in this thread.

Edit: Would you buy a shit car because you aren't Lewis Hamilton, live in a shit house because you aren't Richard Branson or have an ugly wife because you aren't some millionaire footballer?

backhander
    Free Member

Shouldn't be embarrased if you're poor or if you are not poor.
    Buy what you can afford. You might work in tescos and be really good, or you may not be especially good but have a nice bike and be accused of ATGNI by people who are plainly jealous.
    WGAF.
    I am an intermediate but have a nice bike, if someone takes it upon themselves to point this out they're getting called a dickhead and told to EFF OFF!

boobs

I was a little surprised at the level of gear at the Gorrick on Sunday…. In the kids races

titusrider
    Free Member

well my MTB is a fairly obcene amount of cash but I absolutly love it, im rapid downhill (comparativly) , ive been riding ten years and its developed over time, so no embarasment there

However: just starting in road biking and just got a £1800 cannondale race bike, i want to join a club but im going to make sure I do a good few months riding before joining so i dont make a complete fool of myself, so maybe yes i would be embarssed rocking up in front of others on a carbon race bike the first time ive ever ridden on road

Houns

I couldn't give a stuff what people thought. tbh it says more about them than it does me if they feel bothered/need to comment about it. Some sort of inverse snobbery that is oft found on stw

oldgit
    Free Member

Backhander I'm not talking about critising others, I'd rather see the roads awash with Colnagos than baracudas.

I take a quick look at Orcas, Colnagos and De Rosas but I'm not sure they're any better than what I have for domestic UK racing. Fancy having one, but couldn't bear to put one through the rigors of racing though.

Wookster

LOL at stone monkey! I'm at a stage in life where I can afford nice kit and I have treated myself, cant ride as much as my kids are young but I do have two nice bikes one with xtr carbon frame etc. TBH all the bills are paid and I dont like some of my mate pi$$ £50 week up against the wall I buy bike bits maths are easy then!!!

I dont mind being passed by a ridgid SS guy at glentress (massive respect to pixel mix mega GNARL 8) ) got cained by a dude at afan on a hard tail when I was on my five I just though wow he's a wicked rider. dont care what you ride if your chilled basically!

Will be speaking to Mr Jedi soon though, need to be faster!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Blimey wish I hadn't started this. Once again I'm not talking about anyone saying anything or commenting on another persons kit. I'm asking if anyone feels uncomfortable in themself turning out on top end road kit.

I.e I remember turning up for a race in the 80s, there were some top guys there as the Milk race was about to kick off and Anglia were there to film them. Anyway I had a brand new Gios bike, new team kit and I was tanned after training in Spain. The crew assumed I was a pro 😳 No I'm err just a erm rider. That's how I'd feel turning up at a race on better kit than the contenders.

epicyclo

I have no shame. Overbiked compared to ability.

MoreCashThanDash

As several on here who know me will verify, the value of my kits VASTLY exceeds my ability to ride them.

I am "Team AGNI/Ginsters"!

bol

I'm more embarrassed by my lack of skill, fitness and balls than my bike. I'm sure people think I'm a tart, but if I was that fussed about it I'd ride something else.

cinnamon_girl

I know my MLC bike gets 'looks' from men then a 'look' of shock when they see I'm a girlie. And I can see they are thinking "what's she doing with that?"

Am a rubbish rider but absolutely love the MLC. Not embarrassed at all. Will not justify it to anyone.

keavo
    Free Member

if you aren't sure about getting something really expensive because it might not be better than what you allready have, fair enough. you might be right about that. your planet-x ultegra is a good bike, same as mine:-0
    i have overspent on two niners, and i'm glad i did.

backhander
    Free Member

I know that oldgit, but you always get the "I ride a rigid Ht and can cane anyone" and "they're all the gear no idea" idiots, who are simply jealous. It is not written anywhere that ability must equals quality of kit; salary equals quality of kit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its much nicer the other way round oldgit

i turned up to one of my first races at caird park on an old 98 heckler with some borrowed manitou blacks (the most basic ones ) and i went in and signed on , as i came out 2 young folk were pointing at my bike critising my XTR drive train but only putting on manitou black forks …

I made sure to shout extra loud when i lapped them for 2nd place

or top 5 in a real open field 25TT on a sora equipped giant OCR with a sub hour for my first try.

It just doesnt feel the same when you have the posh gear its almost as if your expected to do well and its a failure to the bike if you dont !

alpin
    Free Member

i commented on here once about a guy i'd just met on a Trek FS-thing who couldn't do pish. endos and track stands were beyond him.

i then asked why people buy such bling bikes without having the skills to properly ride them. then i got shot down.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Alpin – I remember that thread – it was awesome! We all bowed in deference to your god-like riding skills did we not? 🙂

grtdkad

No shame here! I love my bike (and the new one that's on order), love the bling spec which makes me ride like a god (in my head anyway!! :?)

…at least it gets ridden in anger a couple of times a week

backhander
    Free Member

i then asked why people buy such bling bikes without having the skills to properly ride them. then i got shot down.

And rightly so. What the **** has it got to do with you?

colnagokid

As most people have said, if you can afford it and want it then buy it. The difference in road racing is that you're much more likely to destroy £4k worth of bike on a Tues night 3/4 cat crit than you are racing fun or vet or masters in a mtb race.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oldgit – Member

………. new team kit ………

thats the only bit to be embarrassed about – why on earth would you wear team kit unless you are a member of the team? sponsors logos and all?

Thats just weird. As for being overbiked? Who cares.

zaskar
    Free Member

No need.

Hell if you can't drive a formula 1 car you could still drive a Ferrari to the shops and why not?

Enjoy what you can afford and ride whatever you want except a pig.

Pigs squeal.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have a £1600 fs and I can't track stand wheelie endo manual etc. But Im ok at riding it and I'm ace at having fun. And if I enter a race with the idea of winning then I'll give it up!
    To those of you riding crap bikes very fast I salute you.

andrewh
    Free Member

Won a club TT tonight on a 12 year old Rondelli.

Beat top of the range Scott Plasma, Spec Tansition, Trek Equinox, 2 Cervelos, a Dolan of some sort and a couple of Planet X Stealths amongst others.

Came second-to-last Elite at NPS last weekend on several thousand pounds worth of carbon-fibre.

Kevevs
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned "it's not about the bike" yet?

oldgit
    Free Member

Team Kit = club kit sorry.

jordie
    Free Member

try a day at GT the is a lot of more money spent equals more speed going on including some people dressed like Colt Seavers

druidh
    Free Member

What is a Colt Seaver?

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest could one of the people who think you have to qualify for kit please clarify exactly how that works.

For example, if I can do tricks but am crap on the trails what value of bike can I ride?

Or if I'm really fit and fast but crap technically what should I be on?

Please state clearly maximum prices or models, thanks.

jordie
    Free Member

Druidh
    he was a famous stuntman in the 80`s

druidh
    Free Member

jordie – Member
    Druidh
    he was a famous stuntman in the 80`s

I fixed that for you 🙂

jordie
    Free Member

ok he was also known as the fallguy 😆
    it still amazes me at the level of protection some people wear to head down spooky wood and are not really going that fast.It really can`t be worth all that walking up to the top

oldgit
    Free Member

No one is clubber the concensus is it's youre's so ride it no matter.
    I started this because I have a problem with myself and top kit and was refering to road bikes only.
    However just wittering on here has helped me to find out some of the reasons why.
    Lots of tasty kit, but I don't actually want it.
    Function over form.
    Economics of racing i.e not wanting to kill something nice in a clash with a racing newbie, seen that too often.
    What I have is more than good enough?

clubber
    Free Member

Ahem

alpin – Member
    i commented on here once about a guy i'd just met on a Trek FS-thing who couldn't do pish. endos and track stands were beyond him.

😉

stanfree
    Free Member

Last time at Gt some young lad came flying past me on a stunningly beautiful Lapierre Zesty . Now im not the jealous type over anything , I can appreciate things of great beauty but dont covet them. Anyway turns out as I got talking to him it was a hub hire bike and he had a basic bike at home although I was in admiration of his skills.
    It seems there are a few on this forum who like to diss newbie with there weekend warrior posts. Every one has to start somewhere and the point should be that as long as people are out biking and enjoying the fresh air who cares what they ride or wear.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'll ask another question.
    Say for example you had a nice road bike but decided to buy something right at the top end of the scale. Would you expect it to give you something back other than pride of ownership? And if then you honestly thought it was no better than the bike it replaced would your feelings toward the bike go sour? I think mine would.
    This is why I'd get something like a Master if I wasn't racing. I wouldn't expect great things from it but I'd enjoy the ownership.

oldgit
    Free Member

Clubber, my apple-o-gees.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Embarassed having top kit when you ain't much good?’ is closed to new replies.