Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • Elliptical single speed chainrings
  • singlespeedstu

I’ll stick with the 33T please.

Should be more than enough with an 11T on the rear. 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

When are the burn friendly ones ready???\

By the way Hanny tomorrow is a yes- my battery has died on the phone!!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

They do work, and here’s why: http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/ovals/01.html#how

However, in my experience of using them on a singlespeed, they are not great for this application: a smaller round ring would be better. For multiple rear cogs, they will get you through the dead spots better, and give you an edge when technical climbing. They feel weird for all of about five minutes, after which round rings feel odd and ‘dead’ like Biopace.

Unfortunately, Chris Bell is not making them any more, so I’ve been looking for another source.

@tazzymtb: Are Goldtec still making them, and would they be willing to make custom ones do you know?

tazzymtb

Doctor Rad, yes they’re still doing them, what’s left at the moment in the remainder of the first production run.

they’ll do custom orders, but it takes a while for a space on the CNC machines (still waiting on some custom fat hubs)

they are tops on a singlespeed as folk like john mylne and ned overend use rotor Q rings for SS race applications. The goldtec ones are even more wonkey and seem to suit SS applications better ( I have both)

Kev at goldtec is ya man for email enquiries

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Personally, I didn’t get on with them on SS, but then I never really got on with the entire SS format when living anywhere other than the flatlands of Cambridge…

How long have you been waiting for your hubs?

ssboggy

I’ll have a 34t one Taz. I’ve sent you an e-mail. Cheers

tazzymtb

cheers folks, I’ll go and see the wonderful wonky ring merchants on friday and see what I can sort.

I thinks that lot is it for the 34’s until a new batch is made

may be a few 33’s and 35’s left after this lot of rings go.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Would one of these contraptions work, as in make any difference, with an 8-speed Alfine on a 29er?

tazzymtb

no idea, I think young stoner has tried it with a 36 up front, he’s the man to let you know if it works

adeward
    Free Member

I had one on my singlespeed bike at the bespoked show , certainly confused a few people , pics in the show coverage on this very site

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Tazzy, Are these in Silver or Black or something else?

tazzymtb

john- black at the moment, but if talk nicely the the chaps I’m sure they’d send one off for anodising in a pretty colour

rOcKeTdOg

John, i knew we shouldn’t have discussed elipticals last night!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Tazzy – If you can get one in silver at the same price I’ll take a 34t one please. email in profile

RD – I know, maybe next time.

convert

Genuine question – How do these work on single speed – do you have to have a chain-tensioner or a really slack chain?

distant memories…My first proper road race bike had biopace chainrings – I think it’s generally agreed it was in the wrong phase on some other problem with the concept.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Tazzy forget my order for a silver one please, I’ve got a plan B

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Black’d look a bit odd, put me down for blue if they can do it or silver if they can’t.

nedrapier

I might have missed this earlier, but what’s the biggest size?

Woudn’t mind something more manageable than 48 x 16 on the road bike, but don’t want to lose too much up top. One of these in 46T or 44T with 104 Bumhole would be ace.

And how eliptical are they? what’s the diffence in raduis from long side to short side? I use a Paul’s chainkeeper when I’ve got a cassette on the back. Any way that would still work?

Ta!

inbred853

Tazzy,

Go on then if you insist, I’ll have a 34T, black, silver or blue to try out on my El Mar. 😀
    email in profile
    Ta.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Tazzy

Did you have me down for a 33 already as I emailed you last week?

tazzymtb

Right folks, I’ve negotiated a group buy price, there’s a very limited number of 34t left so those will go to the first folks that asked about them, no issues with 33’s or 35’s so either MTFU or be a big wussypants on a 33. If everyone who’s after one drops me an email to confirm their order and we can sort out money and delivery etc…tazwadie AT HOTmail dot com

tazzymtb

thisisnotaspoon- black only for this batch chap (god knows when the next lot will get made 😕 )

tazzymtb

final call for any others who want a ring. I’m picking them up tomorrow

there are a few 33’s 35’s and 36’s left and then that’s it for a while.

got a group buy price of £45.00 for the rings email me if you want details etc..

cheers

taz

cheez0
    Free Member

best april fool so far!

well done.

redthunder
    Free Member

My Havoc Sabre BSO has elliptical chain rings by default 🙂

tazzymtb

best april fool so far!

bless ya squire for being such a grumpy bstard 😆

clubber
    Free Member

I was quite keen until I saw the price! I know they’re a limited run but it seems quite a mark up on normal rings.

tazzymtb

i normally run Rotor Q rings on ss and XTR on gearies so it’s quite a saving for me. 😀

tazzymtb

all rings handed over to the fine folks at the postie orifice so should be with all the new wonkyringers soon!

peanut
    Free Member

coooolio !!

singlespeedstu

I hope you’re keeping my ring nice and clean until you head over this way.

tazzymtb

I’m giving it a special cuddle every night Stu, just to give some extra essence of taz so you never forget me.xx 😀

brakes
    Free Member

would these work with fixed? I’ve got a high gear (45:15) which is fine for 95% of my commute, but then there’s a killer hill at the end which I live just over the top of and I can feel the dead spots slowly breaking my hips/lungs/knees. I would guess it would only work with a tensioner which I don’t want to use?

rOcKeTdOg

*waits*

tazzymtb

I would guess it would only work with a tensioner which I don’t want to use?

no tensioners needed squire, just a cunning set up with chain tension and yes it works on a fixie and gives a lovely smooth spin

brakes
    Free Member

*waits*

*furrows brow and bites lip*

I guess you would just need less ellipticness/ ovality of the ring, so as to not make the slack part of the cycle too slack

singlespeedstu

some extra essence of taz

I hope the salt in it doesn’t corrode my ring. 😕

takisawa2

Got any left over Tazzy ?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Does this mean that when I singlespeeded my twenty odd year old Emmelle with the biopace chainset a few years ago, I was actually at the bleeding edge of nichedom?

tazzymtb

🙄 yes just like that

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Elliptical single speed chainrings’ is closed to new replies.