Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)
  • Elliptical single speed chainrings
  • tazzymtb

There have been quite a few folk asking about the elliptical chainrings for single speeds.

I organised a group buy a while ago from BETD goldtech and got a discount for the guys involved, but I don’t supply the rings or have anything to do with the shop.

At the moment goldtec have a few rings left in 33, 34, 35 and 36t they’re £49.99 a ring.

they’re not shown on the website and your best bet is to give the shop a ring.

Just to clarify, I’m cock all to do with the shop and this in the nature of PSA for those that are interested/after a ring.

Oh and yes they’re total snake oil, just like biopace and don’t work at all (just to stall the usual STW bollards) 😀

tollah
    Free Member

Do they come with a stick on beard and a pair of sandles?

d45yth
    Free Member

Apparently it was this bloke who invented them. He realised they carried more power when thrown if they were oval shaped. He discovered this after making a batch of pizza bases after he’d drunk 10 pints of lambic ale!

tazzymtb

Do they come with a stick on beard and a pair of sandles?

yes but they sandals have go faster stripes on them as you’ll be quickerer than any other beardy nichewhore 😆

theotherjonv

I used mine for the first time today and I found it utter codshite. No-one else get one.

(gone +2T on the front compared to my round ring and didn’t notice any difference apart from going faster for the same effort – which is good right?)

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

is the aim to give you more excuses for rests cos you have to keep stopping to put the chain back on?

tazzymtb

never dropped a chain with one yet.

you do need to know how to set them up . The special taz instructions I supplied to some new users were rather good though 😆

Keef
    Free Member

these rings of wonkyness are clearly intended for attention seeking buffoons,and after buying two,I can confidently state that they don’t work at all. my chain never falls off,and I no longer have an excuse to stop halfway up a hill.
    I have contacted the Electricity board.

Keef
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

never dropped a chain with one yet.

you do need to know how to set them up . The special taz instructions I supplied to some new users were rather good though

yes,but now my bottom hurts.

tazzymtb

yes, but to be fair keef. It did clearly say that you needed a 104 BCD ( I didn’t expect you to take that as Bumhole Circle Diameter)

How did you stretch it that far, did you get fingered by an elephant?

Keef
    Free Member

Taz,my Elephant has no fingers……….

and can I have him back pls.

tazzymtb

Oi Keef

forgot to mention I do have an 80mm 26″ rim, drilled out to very light if you needed it

brant
    Free Member

I did a little experimentation with oval rings on suspension bikes, back in the day when pivots were high and shocks platformless.

Worked really well. Evened out power, stopped bobbing.

tazzymtb

they’re great on a fat bike as well Brant 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will they solve the world’s energy supply problems?

tazzymtb

n,o but they do make you more attractive.

and come with a free roll of carbon fibre and spoon for emergency bodge repairs, cynical-Al

sofaking
    Free Member

do they do em for WI cranks ?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Thank you Mr Tazzy for advertising your fabulous magical rings again. They are wonderful. Please may I order 11 of your 32T and 17, 37t. I want to sell them on my stall at the circus for £50 each and make a killing. I is an entrepreneur init.

takisawa2

Biggest load of old tosh I’ve ever bought into. 😉

I only went up one tooth but reckon I could have gone two.
    Any plans stainless ones Tazz ? I reckon a Ti would be out of my meagre budget.

tazzymtb

sofaking- it’s something they may look at, I have a proto direct mount middleburn uno one and I’ve got WI crank to take to them so they can have a look at doing one for me.

Swede you’ve already had a go on my “magical ring” and sold it to others……It came back all worn and out of shape and in need of a good lube.I’ve still not seen my share of the proceeds either!

Takisawa2- no idea on the stainless front, rather fancy a Ti one so hopefully they’ll do a couple for me.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I saw something bonkers on the Leonardi stand at Bespoked Bristol today.. Adjustable sort of elliptical chainrings. Wish I took a picture to show, but basically, they were half round split rings, that you could adjust outward to give you a greater degree of oblongness, in one tooth steps. The more you adjusted them out, the longer the flat section without any teeth. Couldn’t see any real world purpose for them, but was impressed with their bonkersness anyway!

jameso

I like them. That’s all. Apart from, stainless or some other steel option would be good.

emac65
    Free Member

I’m already too fast on my SS so won’t bother,but thanks all the same…….

tazzymtb

if enough folks are interested, i’ll have a chat to kev and see if I can get you lot a bit of a group deal thingymebobins

Rorschach
    Free Member

102bcd???? :mrgreen:

singlespeedstu

If there as shite and gimicky and useless as you say i’ll have a 33 tooth please.

rOcKeTdOg

you already got my email Tazz

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d be after one, 33t, my SS isn’t looking niche enough anymore

tazzymtb

right 3x 33t rings, anyone for anymore I’ll go and see them at the end of the week

AverageMark
    Free Member

I’d like a 34 please, i did e-mail you.

rOcKeTdOg

is one o them 33’s mine?, if not that’ll be what i’d like ta

tazzymtb

sorry mark, I missed that 😳

yes it is Mr Dog

Jerome
    Free Member

Put me down for a steel one if it ever happens..

JRTG
    Free Member

now that its sping and I have shaved my beard, I need somthing else to make me stand out as a nichemonger. Therefore a 33t would be right up my street too!

tazzymtb

if all the 33Toothers are using 32’s at the moment I’d really say go to a 34 as 2T up seems to be the optimum increase for the same perceived effort on climbs.

peanut
    Free Member

Hey Tazzy, how do I contact you to order one too? You don’t seem to have an e-mail address in your profile.

tazzymtb

peanut, let me know what size your after, and i’ll add it to the shopping list. I’ll go and see the chaps and see if I can get you a bit of money off and a contact/email ref that’ll sort it out and you chaps can organise it direct with the shop.

as I said I’m nowt to do with ’em I just damage their reputation 😆

jameso

Mr T, put me down for another 34 if there’s more on the way? Ta.

peanut
    Free Member

Cheers tazzy, guess I’d go for a 34t 104bcd.

JRTG
    Free Member

good advice on the 34T, lets go for that in a 104bcd as well. cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Elliptical single speed chainrings’ is closed to new replies.