Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eliptical chainrings with a chain device?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Disaster waiting to happen? I was about to order one for my SS 29er then thought it’d be just as much if not more use on the 1×10 Pitch, assuming I set it up for the biggest part of the chainring, will it fall off at the smallest point? Anyone tried it and had any issues?

nealy
    Free Member

Dude, the 90’s have phoned and want their chainrings back 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve still got biopace on the tourer!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GregMay
    Free Member

Nealy, the 2010’s have called and Rotor want to sell you what road teams have been using for years.

FWIW, I use Rotor rings on the TT bike, takes some adjustment on the front derauiler, not convinced you’d be able to run them with a chain device, unless said device floats.

The ‘patch’ in contact with the chain is constant so you don’t get chain growth, well at least none I noticed when I ran biopace rings on a fixie commuter many years ago.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html – scroll down for fixed section

jameso

I couldn’t get a small chainkeeper to work on a goldtec oval ring as a 1×9. I didn’t expect it to, I was just being lazy and wanted to bung gears on quickly w/o swapping the ring and thought I’d try it. Unsuprisingly I ended up on a round ring with the gears.. the tension variation as a SS set-up is no problem but ring radius variation is more than I’d expect most chain devices can cope with, it’s a 34T oval and is like a 31-32 in one position and a 36 in another.

honourablegeorge

Fabian Barel was using them for DH I think. So not impossible.

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy, the 2010’s have called and Rotor want to sell you what road teams have been using for years.

Well you learn something new everyday, that’s me owned 😆

GregMay
    Free Member

Well you learn something new everyday, that’s me owned

I believe the expression is, Bazinga. Now…the Rotor and Osymetric kit is very different to Biopace of yore also. Saying that I’ve run Biopace rings on my CX race under very muddy conditions to try and get more grip, works pretty well!

jameso

Barel’s bike’s cool, so it can work with a proper chain device. If it works for him..

ssboggy

Anyone make elliptical bash rings yet 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eliptical chainrings with a chain device?’ is closed to new replies.