Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! Along a journey…
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The idea for this week’s AA thread came to me this weekend, as I travelled down to t’Quantocks to ride my mounting bicycle.

Along the path of every journey, will lie things of interest, in this case, architecture. So, the basic idea is, the examples of architecture seen while on a journey, from start to finish. Stuff seen from the window of a car, or train, or even ‘plane. Little gems you might not otherwise have noticed, or visited.

i’ll skip the central London bit for this one, as we’ll be here all day otherwise..

Paddington Station:

Trellick Tower, Ladbroke Grove:

‘Metal Box’, Reading (about to be demolished apparently. Criminal if true):

RAC Control Centre near Bristol:

Avonmouth Docks:

Sedgemoor Magistrates Court, Bridgwater, Zummerzet:

Let’s see yer magical journeys through time and architectural space!

tang
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMGP0085 by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    On the Train from Durg in Chattigarh to Mathura Jn. passing Gwalior. Its not the famous fort but some other palace I think. I have done this journey many times and always wanted to get off and have a wonder, never have, maybe next time.

phil.w
    Free Member

Let’s see yer magical journeys through time and architectural space!

Made me think of this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM[/video]

crispo
    Free Member

I flew through Dubai last summer on the way to South Africa.

Heres the Burj from the plane

And then on the way back we stopped for a closer look

binners

I do a lot of night riding in the Pennines. Wherever you are, you see this

The Winter Hill transmitter. I could see it’s red lights glowing away from Cut Gate last Thursday night. Up close, its a fairly substantial beasty.

I’m sure I’m bending the rules of ‘architecture, but its an ever present thing in all aspects of my life. I’m looking out of the office window at it now

woody2000

Emley Mast. When I see it I know I’m nearly home 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

“The Dream” St Helen’s

Drove past it last week on the way to somewhere less ghastly 😉

crispo
    Free Member

Drove past it last week on the way to somewhere less ghastly

Warrington? 😆

aP
    Free Member

Those Backbone transmitter towers were carefully thought through in architectural terms with different treatments dependent upon the location.

Harry_the_Spider

less ghastly

Speke Hall

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An airport, earlier;

DezB
    Free Member

They really should’ve given that sculpture a side parting.

Harry_the_Spider

They really should’ve given that sculpture a side parting.

LOL! Never noticed that before!

allthegear
    Free Member

My journey from King’s Lynn to work in Cambridge this morning…

Rachel

My Summer House, on the right (the house itself can’t be seen from the river…)

Dever Sluice, without which Norfolk would be a lot more damp…

Ely Catherdral…

And to work…

binners

Do you work on the set of a 1970’s science fiction film?

Where’s that?

LsD
    Free Member

Harlington-Straker Film Studios…

woody2000

allthegear works at Napp Pharma…

Pieface

On the C2C

Pembo
    Free Member

From the West coast mainline at Kings Langley. Just wish they would get rid of that digital temperature thing.

willard

Allthegear,

Amazing! I applied for a job there after Uni. Alas, I ended up working in IT instead of research biochemistry.

ahwiles
    Free Member

forton tower, M6

i think it’s ace, but we’re not allowed to go up it because it doesn’t have a fire escape or something…

(i say it’s a perfect excuse to slap a zip-wire on the side, but that’s my solution to everything)

Harry_the_Spider

i say it’s a perfect excuse to slap a zip-wire on the side, but that’s my solution to everything

Is that where NATO is going wrong with Gaddafi? Send him to Go Ape for the day and everything will be reet?

Forton always reminds me of Marineville from Stingray.

richmars

Do you work on the set of a 1970’s science fiction film?

Where’s that?

NAPP on Cambridge Science Park. Not far from where I work.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Is that where NATO is going wrong with Gaddafi? Send him to Go Ape for the day and everything will be reet?

we don’t know that it won’t work until we try it… 🙂

stumpy01

allthegear – small world……I used to work in the opposite corner of the science park.
    I used to go past the NAPP buildings and imagine little underground corridors with those electric buggies used in Bond films whizzing about.

This always used to fascinate me on the M11:

Harry_the_Spider

I used to like the Tinsley cooling towers next to the M1 near Sheffield.

BOOM!

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – it’s napp pharma, although I actually work in the new building next door which is a much better environment but not quite so Science Fiction…

Believe it or not, the building is actually a factory!

Oh and alas, I work in IT too!! 🙂

Rachel

racefaceec90

always love riding to/past this monument (cherhill monument wiltshire) (have just bought my first camera in 18 years a sony cyber shot dsc w310,so am loving taking photos again 😀 also avebury church (where my grandparents are sleeping) the red lion pub avebury avebury stones and a final cherhill pic hope you like em 🙂

binners

Its a really cool looking building Rachael. The inside of the old ICL building (in the middle of Beirut, where Shameless is filmed) used to remind me of an old science fiction film set too.

The streets outside remind me of the set of 28 Days Later 😯

richmars

Every journey around here is dominated by one building. You can see it from miles around. Very hard to get lost when you can see this from every stage of your ride. Ely Catherdral

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Last week I was in orkney and drove over the Churchill Barriers which connect four of the southern isles

They were built by the guys that built this little marvel

The road continues on to Kirkwall wherwe it passes the Highland Park distillery (mmmm 40000 barrels of Highland Park))

Anyway, let’s not get distracted. In the centre of the teeming metropolis of Kirkwall is St Magnus Cathedral, and if you’re going to take 300 years to build the most northerly cathedral in the UK, why not use red sandstone

Not wishing to dwell on the unspectacular seting of Kirkwall’s Lidl or Tesco, off we head toward the slightly less teeming metropolis of Stromness, passing by Maes Howe

Ok, pretty unspectacular, how about inside –

not bad for 5000 years old, despite the Viking graffiti (hand carved with an axe)

just next to the stones at Stenness

themselves just across the way from the Ring of Brodgar

robbo1234biking

Thelwall Viaduct – always reminds me of getting stuck in traffic as a child heading up the Lakes on holiday

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! Along a journey…’ is closed to new replies.