Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Electronics repair
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Wondering if anyone can help me on this one.

I have a ten+ year old iRiver mp3 player that has seen me through a lot of good times. Sadly though there are a couple of relatively small issues that need fixing for it to see another ten years (namely a loose headphone jack and a dislodged stop button which means I can’t turn it off so need to rely on idle shutdown). To fix them is a simple case of soldering them back in place however I dont trust myself to do it as my skills in this area make my three year olds art projects look like classical masterpieces. I’m looking for recommendations of someone I can send it to who can get the job done and potentially clean up any other bits that are starting to wear.

And before the inevitable – I don’t want another one, this one is fine besides the niggles and to get another one is still the best fpart of a ton. Alll the dead ones died long ago (due to idiots pitting the wrong chargers on them) and arent in circulation, probably being hoarded for spares.

jairaj

No idea of the value or quality of an iRiver mp3 player.

But sounds like its about an hours work for someone so you could end up spending £30-40+ to get it fixed. Which might make the repair uneconomical?

Maybe try a mobile phone repair shop rather than proper electronics workshop?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Try Wilkie electronics in Perth of built the sda mk1 timing fame…..

I’d just like to add…. My ihp20 is lovely barring it’s battery. The sound that comes out of it through my hi-fi is just much crisper than the iPod that had a short term as a replacement till I got pissed with it (exactly the same mp3s)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Not familiar with that particular machine but can the case be opened without breaking it? Does it have screws/clips or is it glued? If it can be opened without damage then if the headphone socket is just loose then thats an easy fix. If the track has come away from the PCB then thats much harder to repair and might involve a bit of a bodge with hot melt or superglue. If the jack and switch need replacing then that might be game over.

Where abouts are you?

squirrelking
    Free Member

£30-40 would be reasonable. I’ll give Wilkies a shout. Would rather not risk a cheap repair unless it came recommended.

I dont think the track has lifted, I opened it up and the solder/leg holding the switch on just seems to have broken. Its a microswitch and I would assume easy to replace by those in the know. Case is held together with torx head screws, nothing silly. The jack is a common issue (pretty sure TR or someone else I know fixed theirs) but as there is a seperate line out jack its not a problem. Its tight enough when you use the remote as well.

TR – I got a replacement high capacity battery for mine off Amazon, will dig out the sellers details later, from a couple of hours to weeks of use at a time.

I’m in Largs (Ayrshire)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you’d been in Derby I’d have had a look at it for you 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Electronics repair’ is closed to new replies.