Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Electronics question (bike kit related)
  • jameso

I think there’s a fair few electronics experts on here.. and I’m not one of them.

I have some components ready to build a dynamo battery charger. Some of the parts (5v regulator and the USB female port for eg, also a on/off/on switch) have contact ‘legs’ or wires but I’m not sure how to figure out which is which for polarity.
    I have an Evo meter so if I connect an AA to a bit of wire what’s the easy way to check the fitting or routing? Do I even need a cell for output? I think there’s an easy answer to this but I’m not sure and don’t want to risk blowing small parts.

richmars

Just type the number of the part into google and find the data sheet.

jameso

That’s useful, thanks. Didn’t know parts had that info available.

http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_online.php?id=1128903&file=0065\pth08000w_506136.pdf

GRD – how’s that connection made, an isolated connection to base board w/o link to other parts?
    Need a couple of capacitors to go with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Be careful with the regulator. I made one to power my garmin from my light battery, and turns out the basic kind simply dump all the excess power as heat which not only wasted a lot of power but made it so hot it’d burn me if I touched it.

richmars

Yes, if you can bolt the regulator (there’s normally a hole on the base) to some metal.

jameso

Got 2 types of regulator, the one linked to is a more complex one that needs capacitors and a resistor and re-generates the input into the right output (so less heat as far as I understand), and a basic one that will need a heat-sink. Complex one looks to be a lot more efficient.

jameso

“resistor 1% .05W 348Ohm” = 3R5, or 3R4.8 if it exists?

Not an easy one to find. Odd spec?
    Edit, will just line a couple up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Electronics question (bike kit related)’ is closed to new replies.