Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Electronic Campagnolo
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Will it ever be released? it is being used by Movistar at the Veulta, as it has been all year. Yet i still see nothing to suggest it will actually be put into production?

clubber
    Free Member

Campag are tiny compared to Shimano and SRAM – reckon they’re struggling for the resources/investment to make the leap to full production judging by how long they’ve obviously had a working system but not actually selling it.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What he said ^^^^^ – either it’s uneconomic to make, it’s not as good as Di2, or they’ve pulled apart Di2 and are still refining their system based on what they’ve found. Whatever, Shimano have stolen a march in being first (and second, with ‘Ui2’) to market and the Campag equivalent will cost a fortune if it ever breaks cover.

imnotverygood

Hmm Italians & electronics…. I use campagnolo on my road bikes but if I was ever to go down the electric route I think I’d go Shimano. Honda vs Alfa Romeo springs to mind.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ui2? You mean Ultegra Di2? The D in Di2 stands for Digital not Dura Ace – Digital Integrated Intelligence.

I hope that Campag do get their electronic group out, from what I have read it has some features that the Shimano system does not have. It would force Shimano to react and make an already impressive system even better.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ui2? You mean Ultegra Di2? The D in Di2 stands for Digital not Dura Ace – Digital Integrated Intelligence

yes, yes – I know… and I know you know…. but it’s such an f’ing mouthful and you knew what I meant. Rightly or wrongly, now the mags have started calling it Ui2, I think the war has been lost!

I hope that Campag do get their electronic group out, from what I have read it has some features that the Shimano system does not have. It would force Shimano to react and make an already impressive system even better.

That is true – the CyclingNews speculation review said as much…. but how long do we have to wait? Will Shimano have done a 105 release before that happens? I’m waiting for Ultegra to arrive and will probably take the plunge. <blows raspberry in Campags direction>

Mister-P
    Free Member

It irks me mainly because it is too close to that hideous Irish rock band U2.

JAG

Hmmmm I don’t like the idea of an electronic system and I fail to see the value added for the cost increase. I’m no luddite I just wonder whether the ‘advantages’ are worth the cost and effort.

What features does it have that makes it worth the difference in price?

imnotverygood

Front mech self-adjusting the chainline for one. Gear changes are more precise as well.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a bit like going from 105 to DuraAce – costs a load more but works better – 105 does the job perfectly well but DuraAce is more reliable under pressure IMO. Same for Di2 – still does the same thing as standard DA but just a bit sharper.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Campag to join the fun next year then….. maybe….

http://road.cc/content/news/41825-eurobike-campagnolo-make-date-electronic-launch

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d love to be able to afford the Shimano version, my mate has it on his Dogma and has ridden 1000’s of miles on it with no issues at all including from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border over 10 or 11 days – faultless.

I echo the thoughts on Italian electrickery though 😯

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Looks like its definitely happening (spring 2012) and it weighs less than Di2, not by much though. The only problem is they’ve called it “Campy Tech Lab” which is such a shite name.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2011-campagnolos-electronic-drivetrain-nearing-launch-31538

Macavity
    Free Member

Not Campagnolo , but shows what can be done with electric gears
    http://www.bikerevuk.com/bikepics/ted/ted.htm

Although, as Valentino Campagnolo says:
    “Do you have an example of a product that took years to develop?
    VC: [Laughs] This is a good way to arrive at the main topic, the electronic components. It has been particularly difficult. The company did not have the competence in that field; our company had its strength in metal engineering.”

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/509432/valentino-campagnolo-the-big-interview.html

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Has anyone got Di2 (or tried it?)

I borrowed a Trek fitted with it. Not a completely fair test as the bike was new to me (I ride a Colnago which I chose to stick Dura Ace on instead of Campag after years of problems getting spares for old and not so old campag kit).

The Di2 was easy to get used to (more intuitive than any other ‘conventional’ shifter) and worked great.. if money was no object I’d have bought it.

There was an interview with one of the pro team riders (or was it a mechanic possibly?) that hinted at some reliability issues.. I guess the fact that I can’t find it and the fact that they’re bringing out an Ultegra version means if there was an issue they’ve ironed it out.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

AnalogueAndy – Member
    Has anyone got Di2 (or tried it?)

Answering my own question – awesome review Here from a guy in states who ran 2 groups on lots of bikes including CX..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Electronic Campagnolo’ is closed to new replies.