Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Electrics in a new build – what would you put in?
  • Milkie
    Free Member

I see most things have been covered..
    Speaker cables from one location to all rooms, it’s a lot cheaper than the wireless systems.
    Ethernet to all rooms & some more.. +1 where your smart mirror will go

As someone else has said, putting ducting in the walls so you can add/replace cables (speaker/HDMI/ethernet/wotever is the flavour of the month) is the better option and quite common in Europe.

eyestwice
    Free Member

My rewire of an old stone cottage started today. I had lots of grandiose plans but decided against most of them because ‘future’.

Instead of dedicated optical/HDMI sockets I’ve gone for brush gates with conduit in the wall. That way, I can pull through any new cables if (when) standards change in the future.

Satellite feed only to the main TV because we simply don’t watch live TV any more.

Two Ubiquiti wireless routers – one downstairs and one upstairs. They’re stupendous,commercial-grade gear and all that we’ll need. Hard-wired in to the ceilings with PoE inverters. Cat5e to each.

Bluetooth for all audio, including the TV surround system(s).

Hard-wired Nest – heating controller, outdoor security cam (because bikes) and smoke/co2 alarms.

All new and existing double sockets replaced with double + USB where necessary.

External, lockable sockets.

I genuinely can’t think what else you’d need in this day and age. The brush gates allow me to run more Cat5e if I choose, heading off the ‘cabled is best’ crowd.

Works for me. Hope it’s some help.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

A chair

eyestwice
    Free Member

I’m never playing musical chairs at your place.

rmacattack
    Free Member

what is a brush gate?

metalheart
    Free Member

The 18th edition regs are currently out for consultation….

Oh and direct electric resistive heating, you think this is the **** sixties?

13thfloormonk

We bought Barratt, foolishly thinking that things like lights in walk in cupboards would be standard. Silly us 🙁

So yeah, lights in under-stair/walk in cupboards…

eyestwice
    Free Member

What is a brush gate?

Something like this:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX436W.html

In my case it’s all hidden behind the TV but gives me the future flexibility that sockets can’t.

xico
    Free Member

As above: run all your ethernet/aerial/satellite etc cables through conduit as the best option for future proofing, and of a diameter large enough to take multiple cables. Ignore any suggestions for wireless, it isn’t stable enough for serious applications.

eyestwice
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘serious applications’ and what protocols are you basing that on? Bluetooth, NFC or WiFi?

Not trolling, I’m genuinely curious.

xico
    Free Member

Based on my own experience, that’s all. My microwave oven interrupts WiFi signals – no big deal on the internet radio, but a bit annoying if I’m watching a movie or listening to my hi-fi. My whole house now has ethernet wired to every room. Simple to fit if you know what you’re doing, so why settle for less?

metalheart
    Free Member

Faraday cage (for the microwave….) 😉

ctk
    Free Member

Bathroom extractor fan.

leebaxter
    Free Member

A 2.5 t&e from board to attic for solar panels. 10 mm to front of house for electric car charging. If you have space in an out building for biomass heating in the future, think about cat 5, 5 core cable, 4mm for distribution to run it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

My microwave oven interrupts WiFi signals

Won’t necessarily be something you have control over either – at our last house I think our *neighbours* microwave messed with our wifi. Radio streaming would always break up betweeen 7 and 730pm.

Speaker cables from one location to all rooms, it’s a lot cheaper than the wireless systems.

Just a warning that this isn’t as easy as it used to be. AV Amps don’t output digital inputs to the analogue line-outs – the audio from music streaming from an Apple TV (or similar) linked by an HDMI cable isn’t on the line out.

footflaps

My microwave oven interrupts WiFi signals

Should only affect 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz should be OK.

One disadvantage of Sonus is it’s 2.4 only. I run mine wired as 2.4 GHz wifi is too congested with IoT in the house.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CAT5 cable everywhere with Power over Ethernet.

Doesn’t just have to be used for Internet, can pipe video and stuff through CAT5, plus use it for power. Use it for CCTV.

Anything in a fixed position that doesn’t really need to be wifi, hook up to the Ethernet and cut down on the amount of radio signals buzzing around the house. Keep wifi to mobile and tablets, and just slap one or two wireless access points at the end of a CAT5 cable in central points around the house (better than relying on the usually rubbish wifi in an ISP’s router).

Not so sure about USB power sockets. Careful with cheap unbranded stuff.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/product-safety-unit/usb-socket-outlets/

Also many top end USB devices now need 2A or more supply to charge and not all may provide that.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Electrics in a new build – what would you put in?’ is closed to new replies.