• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Electriciantrackworld – how much electricity have I got?
  • DrJ

One of the rings on my hob went pop so I was looking to buy a new induction hob. Looking at the ones in the shop, different hobs have different power requirements, expressed as amperage (eg 13A, 32A) or load rating (eg 4.6 kW) but I have no clue how to find out what my supply will handle. Is there somewhere I can look? (somewhere simple …)

nickjb
    Free Member

Proper way is to check the cable size (should be written on it) and the mcb in the consumer unit. Simpler might be to get one the same rating as your current one (pun not intended)

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said your fuse /or circuit breaker should say what Amp it is as should the cable

FWI watts divided by volts = amps s0 4600/240=20 amps [ rounded up]

DrJ

Hmm – the fuse box says 30mA which seems to be enough for a small flashlight, not a cooker ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Lol. That’s the rcd rating. You want the mcb for the hob. It’ll say something like B16 or C20 (which are 16A and 20A for example)

DrJ

So – I have no idea what you’re talking about he! he!

EDIT Aaah – says B32. But I guess I need to consider that the oven is connected to that as well ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The one with a few next to each other – not that one but you seem immensly qualified to be doing this sort of thing 😉

That checks for difference between the volts in and out as it indicates a short and trips all the electrical the other trips a circuit only –

nickjb
    Free Member

If the oven is on the same circuit then you start getting into diversity. Basically you can assume that everything won’t be switched on at the same time so you can slightly theoretically overload it. Starts to get a bit tricky. I’d look at the bottom of the existing hob and try and match it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Personally I would find out what the oven is that you are keeping and subtract that from 32 and get a hob that suits.

If you cannot get the correct hob then do as above and be aware you can use everything at the same time BUT you will NEVER be able to have the oven on full and every hob on full- as noted it is highly unlikely that you will ever do this anyway

DrJ

Problem is that I can’t see under the hob as there is an oven there! I am thinking best to go for one at the low end of the power requirement spectrum and hope for the best 🙂 Thanks for the advice !

nickjb
    Free Member

The oven is coming out. Not much choice there if you are replacing the hob. It’s normally not that hard

DrJ

Looks like you remove some screws and slide it out?

nickjb
    Free Member

Normally. 4 screws on the front holding it to the cabinet. Slide it out. It’ll be heavy but might have handles on the side. Slide it out then drop it onto some cardboard and twist it our the way being careful of the cable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Switch the fuse off first

DrJ

Thanks guys 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

There are a few available induction hobs available now that will run on 13a supplies, most however will need nearer to 30a.

Flaperon

That checks for difference between the volts in and out as it indicates a short and trips all the electrical the other trips a circuit only –

RCDs don’t work like that. They sense imbalanced current between phase and neutral; voltage doesn’t come into it.

russ295
    Free Member

Diversity applied, your hob and oven could be 32a each and the total rating would be 26a or 31a if there is a socket at the switch.
    32+32=64
    64-10=54
    54×30%=16
    16+10=26A

andyl
    Free Member

is there a model number or instruction book in the drawer for your current hob?

Junkyard
    Free Member

They sense imbalanced current between phase and neutral; voltage doesn’t come into it.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howrcdswork.html

If the OP wants a fuller explanation ….assuming he is still alive

DrJ

Just about still alive but tired of eating toast.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Electriciantrackworld – how much electricity have I got?’ is closed to new replies.