Electricians….. I'm guessing this will kill me

Home Forum Chat Forum Electricians….. I'm guessing this will kill me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electricians….. I'm guessing this will kill me
  • sharkbait

Immersion heater (single 3KW) currently connected to it’s own dedicated 16amp circuit with a fixed switched fused spur – all fine and dandy.
    What are the reasons stopping me changing the spur to a standard socket so that I can remotely switch the immersion on using a wireless plug-in adapter like this (which is rated to 3kw)

It’s not the end of the world if I didn’t as I could use a wireless relay instead and then keep the spur – just thought I’d ask.

covbuggy

nothing, that will be perfectly fine, as the plugtop is fused. Just make sure your remote plug thingy is rated for 3kW and its not cheap chinese import…

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

That plug thingy is only just rated for 2.99kW – bit tight.

Or go for DIN rail based controller

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products/Marmitek-X10-DIN-Rail-Switch.html

sharkbait

^ that’s interesting Stoner, but as the install is going to be in a house 100 miles from me I need the switch to confirm that it’s been switched on or off, which x10 can’t do and z-wave can.
    The other issue is that the immersion is simply on an on/off switch right now and I’m going to add a timer so it’s not running at night. So my theoretical setup would be:
    240v mains >> digital immersion timer >> z-wave switch >> immersion

Using that rail controller would switch the timer off also, and I want that always running with the option to remotely switch the immersion on and off (subject to the timer schedule).

sharkbait

Actually just found this plug thingy with a 3500w rating.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

seems youve already thought about it then 😉

Part of me would prefer the safety of a relay of some sort though as those chinese boxes wont be the most reliable at the top of their current range.

SB – that popp is probably identical to the TKB one just rebranded. Theyve just used the 3.5kW rating for European markets.

Maximum Load

2990 W for UK, 3500W for Germany,France

http://www.tkbhome.com/?cn-p-d-85.html

sharkbait

Seems odd that it’s 2990 here and yet 3500 in France! I’ll do some checking.
    I know what you mean about the relay (although I’ve only found them rated to 3000w so far), but the plug thingy gives you the option of simply pressing a manual override button so you can switch it on/off without firing up a browser!
    The remote access thing is just an idea right now but it would be handy as it’s for a house that we go to some weekends and I’d rather not turn up at 7pm with no heat or hot water (especially as we’ve got PV there that could be supplying some of the power for the heat during the day).
    I’ve got as far as installing the controller software on a spare Raspberry Pi – just need to get a controller and a few switches for 2 x oil filled rads and [maybe] the immersion.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

One of these and add a relay for 13A switching….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electricians….. I'm guessing this will kill me’ is closed to new replies.