Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Electricians, how much for this job?
  • Houns

Shall be calling around for quotes later on today, but before I do I’d like a rough idea of how much this job should cost.

I have a display cabinet with lighting, 2 small strip lights in the bottom, 6 halogen spots in top plus an additional small strip. The lights didn’t work when I got it, I have stripped everything out of it for painting. When I get it back I will put all wiring, lights and switches in place, I just need someone to connect it all together, make sure it’s safe and resolve any faults.

So, how much do you reckon?

wwaswas

they’ll see the Oakley badge and charge double 😉

Houns

Ha!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PhilAmon
    Free Member

How does it connect to the mains?

scaled
    Free Member

I dunno, what’s the going rate for wiring a plug or changing a lightbulb these days? 😉

Seriously though for the price of getting a spark out you could probably get some nice low voltage LED lighting and save yourself a fair bit of cash every year

Houns

Normal 3 point plug connects to an IEC? ( like you get on a kettle) plug/socket

Houns

I ‘could’ do it myself but as its a big metal cabinet I’d rather be on safe side

thehustler
    Free Member

3pin plug you are not affecting a ring main, fuse will protect it plug in and try, if it works all is good and save a fortune

wwaswas

use an RCD between plug and socket if the house circuits don’t have RCD’s on them already.

Basically, you want it PAT tested – I’d just phone a local electrician and ask for a price – it’ll probably be more than you hoped and less than you feared.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

You need to keep it well watered when connecting or the electricity in it will wither.

Cougar

Normal 3 point plug connects to an IEC? ( like you get on a kettle) plug/socket

That’s a C13 plug.

(Not to be confused with a 14B, Lister.)

Houns

Here’s the power leads and switch unit

Here are all the lights, fittings and wiring

Here’s what it should look like

And here’s what will no doubt happen if I give it a go

weeksy

oh man.. it actually IS an Oakley case…

Tell me it’s for your shop ?

Houns

Errrr…….

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d have thought around £100. Possibly a bit more if there is some fault finding. If it wasn’t working before you took it apart there might be some issue.

That said, as above, I’d be looking to replace it all with led strips. It’ll be around £40 in parts and you can do the work yourself. Should last longer and use less power as well.

footflaps

Connect the brown wires to the metal case. Make sure you’re standing in a bucket of water when you power it all up and then grasp the door firmly with both hands……

EDIT: or maybe get someone qualified in…..

Houns

Got that……

Shall also look in to LED route thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

This stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-STRIP-LIGHT-3528-SMD-300-LEDS-5M-UK-/320681128958?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item4aaa15b3fe

(first hit on search so can’t vouch for seller, but google ‘led strip’ there’s loads of it)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Electricians, how much for this job?’ is closed to new replies.