• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electrician advice please – LED downlight wiring
  • Bullet

Currently got halogen down lights in the bathroom with transformers – the transformers are gradually failing and have replaced a couple. Now seen that you can get LED versions that run straight off the mains wiring. Is it as simple as it looks, just connect the live and neutral 240v into the LED and that’s it? That’s what it looks like on the Screwfix website anyway…

RicB

Make sure they’re IP65 rated 🙂

ffej
    Free Member

Yes… and no.

You can swap them, but the connectors are different. Mains voltage uses a GU10 connector (push in and twist to lock) where as yours will probably have a MR16 connector (they push straight in with two spikes).

*if* your holders have a loose lead connector in – then this could be changed for a new GU10 connector and the transformers removed, but the old connector may be part of the holder, in which case you’d need a whole new unit..

The ip65 comment from RicB is also relevant. Any device used within certain distance from a bath or shower must be rated against water ingress. (generally the second digit should be a 5 or better)

Also your lighting circuit should be RCD protected to meet regs.. If your distribution board is not new or hasn’t been upgraded then you possibly don’t have this..

J

Sonor
    Free Member

just connect the live and neutral 240v into the LED and that’s it?

No. Since you are changing from 12Volt to 230Volt, your fittings will need to be earthed. You will have to check that the cable supplying the fittings have one, and it hasn’t been cut off.

Also your lighting circuit should be RCD protected to meet regs..

No. The electrical regulations are not retrospective, i.e, installations conforming to previous editions of the regs do not need to be brought up to date for the sake of it.

Bullet

So this is the type of thing I’m looking at – with just the live/neutral connections. Looks easy enough?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-led-downlight-white-370lm-5w-220-240v/9815v

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use those Screwfix lights quite often, they are double insulated so there’s no provision for an earth.

Just go back to the junction box and take the live and neutral from there and go straight to the first light then loop from light to light.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My sparky told me to fit the completely sealed units as they cover all bases regarding where they are fitted and being sealed stop any condensation going into the loft.
    Edit the fire rated ones.

RicB

So this is the type of thing I’m looking at – with just the live/neutral connections. Looks easy enough?

I have the same ones but you probably want cool white for a bathroom rather than warm white. Although warm white will be more similar to halogen, cool white generally looks better

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electrician advice please – LED downlight wiring’ is closed to new replies.