Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Electric Vehicles – Looking for Advice
  • laurencenicholls
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for advice / info on electric cars. I’m kind of new to all of it and I know that Tesla is pretty much the bog standard in terms of the average motorist (as far as I know)

I’ve been asking around though and a lot of people have been suggesting other models, some I’ve never heard of in the UK. Does anyone own an EV and could help me out? I’ve read an article on EU Emissions & ULEZ in London so this is mainly why I’m thinking about going Electric.

Cheers, Laurence

Drac

Welcome to the forum.

Nissan, Renault, BMW, VW and others do EV it’ll depend on your needs and budget.

DezB
    Free Member

I know that Tesla is pretty much the bog standard in terms of the average motorist

I doubt that. Shitloads aren’t they?

I reckon all the STW knowledge will be readily available here

Electric Car Suggestions – Tesla ?

winston
    Free Member

Speak EV is the forum you need. the knowledge on here is the equivalent of mumsnet on cycling

laurencenicholls
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys and the threads, I’ll check those out.

Yeah, should have probably been more clear, Teslas definitely seem overpriced but it’s the only manufacturers I’ve heard about when looking into EV. Was looking a lot at Shangai & Geneva Motorshows and saw that there were a lot of new EVs looking to be affordable & actually viable to own. I’ll take a look at the thread should help me out! 🙂

simon_g

If you can make it to Silverstone in a couple of weeks, Fully Charged Live is on and there’ll be no end of cars to look at (they’re claiming every one on sale), many available to test drive, talks, etc.

What’s your budget? How long are typical everyday journeys and what are your once or twice a year long ones like?

It’s a bit of a tricky time to buy – the good EVs that are out now have big waiting lists, some stalwarts like the Zoe, Leaf, Ioniq, Soul are about to be replaced with new versions, and there’s other options in various stages of preview/annoucement/pre-order that will be along later this year or next year.

Meanwhile the used market has gone a bit silly, people have caught on to how well suited an older Leaf or Zoe is for commuting and running about but there isn’t a big supply so you’ll pay more for one now than a year or two ago.

I love electric cars but ULEZ, at least for the first few years, is about discouraging pre-Euro6 diesel – petrol cars under 10 or so years old (Euro4) are fine.

ingloorious
    Free Member

I bought a Nissan leaf back end of 2017, best car I’ve ever had for doing the job of being a car. Most of our journeys are under 20 miles as I commute to work by bike. The leaf is absolutely brilliant for that kind of thing, probably does between 400/800 miles a month for pennies.

We run also run a diesel estate that does the job of lugging bikes or travelling >70 miles in a hurry. It probably only rolls about 3k a year now, leaf does nearly everything. Appreciate not everyone can or wants to run 2 cars though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How are you going to be using your EV? most people immediately jump to the range but for 90% of people they don’t need the range they think they do. My brother has a Leaf with about 100 miles range which is fine as the local run around which never goes on long journeys and charges it up every night. Even if you do go on long journeys then something like the eGolf has a 150 mile range but fast charge capability, so can charge the battery up in about 20 minutes while you grab a cup of coffee, so if you do longer journey’s very infrequently then the minor faff of stopping a few times to fast charge will be a good trade off. The 300+ mile range Tesla’s offer is very good as far as EV’s go…but do you really need that capability all of the time, week in, week out? Most people don’t.

Plenty of new EV’s coming out from all the major manufacturers over the next couple of years, so the landscape and choices will look very different.

phiiiiil

EVezy seems like a good way to either get an EV much quicker than you would have to wait from most suppliers or to try one for a short period while you either wait for another or decide whether you like it or not.

We have a Zoe; it’s a lovely car to drive. I can highly recommend at least finding a dealer with an EV of any kind for a test drive, the smoothness and quietness is something you need to try.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I also think evezy looks like a good option for dipping your toe in the water. Very reasonably priced, includes insurance/repairs/servicing/breakdown, you can sample a few different makes, good monthly milage allowance, hand it back at any time, free charging with polar. I think they also help you to get a home charger installed, if you qualify

simon_g

Evezy does look good – our Golf GTE goes back in January and it may be a good way to stay in an plug-in car until silliness (that I described above) passes.

Only thing putting me off is that you don’t get the key – you have to use an app on your phone to unlock (like zipcar and similar).

Drac

Only thing putting me off is that you don’t get the key – you have to use an app on your phone to unlock (like zipcar and similar).

Well there’s also the cost and outside of the midlands there is pretty much no spots.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

and outside of the midlands there is pretty much no spots.

Yeah that is an issue, it would be Manchester for me and still a pita. I believe there is somewhere in the north east coming soon but not sure where.

phiiiiil

I think they’ve only been going a month or so, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a few more locations soon. Or of course they could overreach themselves and disappear as quickly as they appeared, but who knows 🙂

I didn’t think the cost seemed that high given the flexibility and extras included.

As long as it’s reliable I can see the advantage of using a phone as a key; the Zoe has a big chunky card that doesn’t have to leave your pocket, so having to carry round less stuff does appeal.

Drac

I’ll keep an eye it as it’s interesting concept.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think they’ve only been going a month or so

There’s a guy on YouTube whose been reviewing them since December last year.

FuzzyWuzzy

Interesting, although the Tesla 3 SR+ at £600/month seems a bit steep (but there aren’t normal lease costs to compare with yet). Has anyone done a comparison on the i3 or Iconiq to see what the premium is for the no long contract + insurance + road tax included benefits? I reckon the included stuff is worth around £75 a month to me (unless EV insurance is higher than ICE for some reason) so then it’s down to how much not being tied into a 24-36 month contract is worth.

phiiiiil

There’s a guy on YouTube whose been reviewing them since December last year.

Just after posting that I found somebody who had just started their fourth month… ah well, they’re still fairly new, if not quite as new as I thought!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Drive electric lease deal is £4500 initial rental payment and then something around £490 pm if you do the equiv 1000 miles a month. Won’t incl insurance and doesn’t incl maintenance (I can’t be bothered reading the t&c) You’re stuck with that car for 48 months and will incur penalties if you have to hand it back within contract. They’re only doing business contract and 10000 mpy at the moment so I just added 20% to their figs and a bit pm for the milage dif. Also this is subjected to status and credit acceptance.

simon_g

Cheapest i3 lease I can find with 1 month upfront is £366pm for 8k a year, £376 for 10k. Both are 48 month terms. Ioniq – same terms but a few pounds more.

JAG

How about a Jaguar I-PACE…

Jaguar i-Pace

Edukator
    Free Member

How about a Jaguar I-PACE…

Nah, too greedy. If you’re going to drive an electric car to reduce your carbon footprint then choosing one that consumes over 20KWh/100km defeats the object. Like all Jaguars it’s all about flash, bling and the oversized ego of the prick that buys it.

JAG

it’s all about flash, bling and the oversized ego of the prick that buys it

So I heard “I can’t afford one” :o)

Daffy

Edukator is correct. The Jag has an almost 90kwh battery pack and in real world driving seems to be achieving a range of not much more than 220miles. Compare that to my I3 which has a 33kwh battery and I can get 150miles from it. That jag will need to be stationary for over 1.5hours at a rapid charger to get to even 80% recharge.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of the Hyundai kona and Kia Niro Evs. When I can afford one it will replace our current Nissan Leaf and petrol yeti.

Daffy

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Chinese are going to make some pretty significant inroads into the EV sector in the next year or so.

phead
    Free Member

There will be an explosion in the number of electric cars next year, and in second hand ones a few years after. Why, because the company car tax for range>130Miles drops to 2% next year.

That a 90% drop in taxation for most drivers, for me its £200~ down to £20~ per month.

cookeaa

It’s a bit of a tricky time to buy – the good EVs that are out now have big waiting lists, some stalwarts like the Zoe, Leaf, Ioniq, Soul are about to be replaced with new versions, and there’s other options in various stages of preview/annoucement/pre-order that will be along later this year or next year.

^^THIS!^^

I’ve been looking at used Zoe’s of late because I want a leccy runabout for me and the missus to help cutback our overuse of the family diesel barge, but I’m struggling to make the man maths work enough to sell the idea to er’indoors.

Just out of interest I thought I’d take a look at the Twizy… Buying one new it’s a bloody rip off IMO, you’ll be paying at least £7-8K and then you’ve still got battery lease to cover. So I thought I’d look for used examples. With a couple of exceptions used still seem to be looking like £5~6k! That’s for an out of warranty, 13-15 reg’ leccy go-kart with pretend/no doors and a “passenger seat” only fit for anyone answering to the call sign “Goose”…

They’re too expensive new and used and the running costs (basically the battery lease) are more than you really want to pay out on such a minimalist vehicle, putting it just about on par with a “normal” used, IC hatch cost wise and a 50cc scooter function wise (minus the ability to filter).

And yet I really like the idea of buying one, I don’t know why, but it just appeals to me, it’s less practical, shorter range, less luggage and passenger capacity… But I still like the idea, quick someone talk some sense to me!

For ULEZ/Central Laaandahn type use I can see the appeal too… Worth considering OP or not enough range?

brakes
    Free Member

very close to buying a 2016/17 BMW i3 (94Ah with Range Extender), but nervous about depreciation… anyone have any opinions on how much a £22k i3 REx will lose in value over the next 2/3 years?

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Chinese are going to make some pretty significant inroads into the EV sector in the next year or so

I have my doubts unless you’re talking about Teslas coming from Gigafactory 3. Given their ICE options are still mostly a joke I’m not sure many sensible buyers will be flocking to buy their first gen EVs any time soon.

anyone have any opinions on how much a £22k i3 REx will lose in value over the next 2/3 years?

It’s not a great time to buy something like that IMO, the i3 is over-priced for a very average EV. It’s still got a decent second hand value at the moment as there’s not a whole lot of competition in the small but premium brand market currently, that’s likely to change over the next couple of years so I think the current i3 will take a fairly big hit if you intend selling it 2-3 years.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nah, too greedy. If you’re going to drive an electric car to reduce your carbon footprint then choosing one that consumes over 20KWh/100km defeats the object. Like all Jaguars it’s all about flash, bling and the oversized ego of the prick that buys it.

Utterly irrelevant….in consuming your 20kwh/100km you’re not generating any carbon emissions so assuming your electricity you charge the car with is generated cleanly (so the same for any EV) the so what? The jag is a premium car with all the usual premium bells and whistles. Its a brilliant thing, very luxurious and lovely to drive…but is equally as expensive so puts it out of the price range for most people. Jealous people who can’t afford one will clearly feel aggrieved that there are some people who’ve done better in life than they, and resort to personal slurr’s and prejudices to make themselves feel better about it, but that’s just rather sad.

I can’t afford one but don’t think those who can are pricks with oversized ego’s. There is nothing egotistical in wanting to have a nice car..its perfectly normal. If I could afford one i’d have one in a heartbeat.

I’d be wary about buying a used EV…i’m not sure how long the batteries last and suspect a battery replacement on these things would cost more than the car is worth.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I’d have an i-Pace tomorrow if I could afford one, although I might later regret it when the Model Y is out.

jimdubleyou

i’m not sure how long the batteries last and suspect a battery replacement on these things would cost more than the car is worth.

They are warrantied for x number of years (x being between 5 and 8 from what I can tell). I suspect those warranties assume you’re treating the battery like crap and discharging it fully, regularly.

There’s anecdotal evidence of some vehicles having done 100k and still having  “like new” battery.

Edukator
    Free Member

The current UK electricity mix only has 32% renewables, Wobbliscott. Something like the Jag is much bigger and heavier than it needs to be to provide the accomodation it has. It’s performance is irrelevant if you drive legally and plain anit-social and danagerous if you do use it illegally. Given the carbon emission related to building it and its electricity consumption it’s objectively worse for the planet than most petrol-hybrid vehicles of similar interior volume.

You’ve chosen the wrong adversary to accuse of jealousy, it really isn’t a financial issue. However, Madame would refuse to get in it and probably go on matrimonial strike until it disappeared (if she hadn’t filed for divorce by then), my friends would disown me, it would attract all the wrong attention if left in many places I like to go (I’d give it a day before it got keyed or worse if left out overnight in town). Besides, I just don’t want one, it’s dreadful.

People buy cars as a statement and they say all sorts of things about the owner, none of the statements made by a Jag are ones I’d make. I’ve gone through my head trying to think of a single owner of a Jag bought new (the classic and second-hand buyers are quite different) who I’ve thought a good person after more than a few minutes in conversation, and failed.

Drac

I’ve gone through my head trying to think of a single owner of a Jag bought new (the classic and second-hand buyers are quite different) who I’ve thought a good person after more than a few minutes in conversation, and failed.

You don’t half talk some comical shite.

Rio

Given their ICE options are still mostly a joke I’m not sure many sensible buyers will be flocking to buy their first gen EVs any time soon.

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Geely’s Polestar 2 looks pretty interesting, for example, and I’m sure more similar will follow with or without the pseudo-European branding.

FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Geely’s Polestar 2 looks pretty interesting, for example

Well OK technically yes but most people wouldn’t consider Volvo, for example, a Chinese company

Rio

From what I’ve read the Polestar 2 will be made in a Chinese factory using a generic Geely electric car platform. There’s no Volvo branding that I can see even though Polestar used to be a Volvo trim level, and of course Volvo is now a Chinese company. Expect more of this sort of thing.

Edukator
    Free Member

You don’t half talk some comical shite.

I have a challenge for you Drac. You post names of good wholesome people who are excellent role models for those wishing to live in an open, fair, caring society who drive Jags bought new and I’ll post ones who aren’t.

#1 Jacob Rees Mogg who brags about doing 100mph in his Jag.

retro83
    Free Member

@Edukator What you seem to be missing in your posts above is that the IPace is replacing a fossil-fuel car which would probably do late twenties to early thirties MPG with a significantly more efficient electric powertrain. And even if that’s only partially powered by renewables, it’s going to be doing better than a 100% non-renewable fuel source.

Yes it’s less efficient than a Leaf or an I3, but so what? Those are completely different prospects. The boot is nearly three times larger than the i3 and it has AWD for a start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Electric Vehicles – Looking for Advice’ is closed to new replies.