• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Electric rooflight windows. Worth it? Any alternatives to Velux?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Looking at electric velux windows because they will get more use if they can be easily opened at the touch of a button rather than using a long pole.
    Are they worth the extra cost, and has anyone installed a different make of similar quality which would be worth a look?
    Many thanks.

nickjb
    Free Member

How often do you feel the need to open your current one? FiL put one in and said it was a bit of waste as they never use it. I put non opening skylights in our kitchen. Can’t say I miss not being able to open them

dingabell
    Free Member

We don’t have any yet, as they’re for a new roof going in over the kitchen/dining room.
    One of my main worries was that flies and insects will head for it then die and drop into the kitchen.
    If you can open them a bit they’ll be able to escape.
    Not sure if this is a real world problem or not?
    Also Mrs Dingabell says she’ll never use them unless they’re easy for her to open….and sod the extra grand they’ll cost!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve jus had an extension built with roof lights. I wasn’t bothered about them being able to be opened or not, they do open, but I can’t see me opening them often if at all. The opening action is very light and very easy with a pole. the electric operation just seems like a wast of money to me and just something else to go wrong, and i’d worry that if it goes wrong will they be stuck in whatever position they are at (i.e. could be open), unless they have a mechanical manual override feature.

footflaps

Not sure if this is a real world problem or not?

I have six 1 metre square Velux in the workshop and under each there is always a pile of dead flies, wasps and other insects……

[url=https://flic.kr/p/euKDUi]Velux grilles by Ashland Engineering[/url] by brf, on Flickr

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Our bathroom velux is solar powered, as I worked out it would cost more to run the leccy up to its location. It’s the bees balls and worth every penny so far. Nice little touch screen wall mounted control box too-so you can set it to open/close at certain times.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I run 5 fully electric with electric blinds (had shutters with them to but I didn’t want them as they are fugly) & TBH it’s a bit of a gimmick apart from the one in the bathroom which I would want to be electric, the remotes are fab & yes you do use them, but I wouldn’t miss the functionality if they were always closed apart from the bathroom one which helps to dissipate the condensation/steam/smell far better than just a window alone 😉

(PS the wall mounted remote I have is fully programmable for separate rooms/ windows/ blinds etc & can be removed so you can take it anywhere & put back in its holder for safe keeping, its a wonderful bit of kit)

jonnyrockymountain

I have one with remote control blind, lights and opening also has rain sensor on outside so shuts when you leave it open when rains. One word superb !!!!
    Glad I didn’t choose the cheap option

dingabell
    Free Member

^^^^ If it’s not too rude, how much were they?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one has the same detail of chamfered edges that mine have, basically that means that the upper & lower ceiling plasterboard is at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the window, it allows in a lot more light at little heat loss, I wonder why?

dingabell
    Free Member

^^^ Duly noted.
    Will definitely do the same when we install them.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

They’re great, well made, easy to install (I install them) look good . the new plastic ones are solid plastic as opposed to the plastic coated ones of late. It’s easy to bank the windows together, they have a rain sensor on them and they work a dream. IMO don’t bother with the other makes they’ve got it nailed.

Just check how long they guarantee the motors for.

The actual unit will be longer, but the motors will normally only be for 12 months, likely hidden in the small print or not mentioned.

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d do it, as you’ll have forgotten the cost once you’ve used them once – but, I’d get one with a thermostat so they’ll open when its hot hot (during the day).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Electric rooflight windows. Worth it? Any alternatives to Velux?’ is closed to new replies.