Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Electric mtbs…really?
  • flange
    Free Member

Looking at the euro bike coverage, electric bikes seem to be on the rise in a big way. Is it only me that this doesn’t sit we’ll with? Make everything out of carbon, electric gears, shocks, fat tyres, wide bars, funky wheel sizes – not all of it does much but it all still requires you to pedal which surely is the point of cycling? Electric bikes just seem like a lazy persons excuse to spend muchos mulla.

Am I missing something?

epicyclo

Dunno, electric or gears, much the same really.

Good for when you’re old and frail.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

Seem a bit half-arsed to me. Combines all the downsides of a MTB with all the downsides of a MX bike, pick one or the other.

chojin
    Free Member

I’m guessing none of you have ever faced an injury/illness that threatened to end your riding days for good?
    This is what e-MTBs were designed for. Making MTB more accessible to those not fortunate enough to possess your god-like riding abilities.

IanMunro
    Free Member

That and saving chubby IT managers having to wait for the mini-bus uplift at trail centres.

flange
    Free Member

Chojin – bit harsh. I can understand someone with illness or a disability finding this beneficial. It’s just that with the enormous push on them and the number of models on offer it seems like they’re being offered to those who don’t have either as an easier option to ‘normal’ cycling. Different strokes for different folks I suppose…

Edric64
    Free Member

And in the other thread on this there is brief discussion with Ton of this parish about how he used his leccy bike loads to help him in his recovery from a long illness so think before you judge !!

flange
    Free Member

EDIT: Forget it…more fool me having my own opinion

chojin
    Free Member

Flange – I can see your point, and up until recently I may have agreed with you.
    It was late, I was tired. I’m sorry I snapped.

Gissa’ hug?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think Leccy MTBs are a rather good thing, if you need assistance climbing up steep stuff then why not. It will happen, it’s moving that way already and prices are coming down as tech improves. Can only be a good thing IMO.
    I can’t see myself buying one, I enjoy climbing,mout some don’t, chubby IT Managers or not.

I admire innovation.

flange
    Free Member

chojin – always, special hug yeah?

I should have really thought about it and worded my initial post a bit better.

As mentioned I can totally understand people will illness or disability benefiting from having an electric motor assisting them. Its just the way its being marketed seems to be aiming them at the able bodied which gets my goat a bit. Don’t know why, it shouldn’t do. It just does.

epicyclo

chojin – Member
    I’m guessing none of you have ever faced an injury/illness that threatened to end your riding days for good?..

That’s the point I was making about being old and frail. I have every intention of getting an electric bike one day – probably sooner rather than later. Either that or gears.

But what hasn’t been mentioned is that the good ones are a barrel full of fun to ride. You end up grinning like a loon. Probably a good justification for getting one now. 🙂

convert

Not sure about leccy mtbs but leccy commute style bikes make a lot of sense for a load of people. They are everywhere in Holland. People (often older) using them instead of a car in normal clothes carrying a load of shopping without getting all sweaty either to flatten the odd little hill or up the average speed a bit. Most will only match your own power output and the assistance stops when you get to a certain speed.

It might not be the future for mamil style ‘exercise’ but it might just be a blooming marvellous method of transport.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Electric mtbs…really?’ is closed to new replies.