Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Electric hob wiring
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Our glass hob has cracked, we got a new one but the attached lead is a bit too short to reach the box to connect to the mains.
    Ive had no luck finding a longer one, any ideas?

nickjb
    Free Member

Buy a bit of short flex and extend it. Needs to be the right size for the current. Hopefully the cable has a size on it (2.5, 4 or 6mm). Then you need a maintenance free connection box life a wagobox MF

sweepy
    Free Member

Well that’s an unusually high level of agreement, I’ll look at them Nick, ta.

rwamartin
    Free Member

The wago box is this

This takes cables up to 4mm which should be fine. Putting in stranded cables needs a bit of care but can be done.

Alternatively crimp the cables and put them into some sort of enclosure to protect them. This would require you to have a proper crimping tool, not one of the cheap car type ones which won’t make a good joint.

Rich.

sweepy
    Free Member

So then, I get one of those, cut the cable on the old hob a foot or so from the box, poke all the wires from the new hob and into the wago box along with the remaining old hob cable and provided nothing goes bang when I turn the power on its job done. Life gets easier and easier, ta lads.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Electric hob wiring’ is closed to new replies.