Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,563 total)
  • Election Campaign
  • dragon
    Free Member

Some of the people in England could do with realising that the bottom half of a tiny rock in the middle of the North Atlantic isn’t the centre of the Universe.

It’s bit more than a tiny rock though isn’t it? For starters it has a lot of other rocks elsewhere. Has provided the world with the language and dress of business the world over. Sits at the top table of the UN, big player in NATO, has important voices in top tier banking and legal rights. Big contributor to the EU. Big player in the Olympic movement and other sports like football. And who’s global culture has spread around the world good and bad (Rolling Stones vs One Direction). And just today Rolls-Royce won a £6.1 billion contract to supply plane engines.

You can pretend it isn’t important, and it certainly isn’t centre of the Universe (where is) but it has way more clout than the majority of places worldwide.

dazh

and dress of business the world over

Oh great. So the nondescript business suit with silly thing round the neck pointing to your genitals is our fault?

Big player in the Olympic movement and other sports like football

?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

For starters it has a lot of other rocks elsewhere. Has provided the world with the language and dress of business the world over. Sits at the top table of the UN, big player in NATO, has important voices in top tier banking and legal rights. Big contributor to the EU. Big player in the Olympic movement and other sports like football. And who’s global culture has spread around the world good and bad (Rolling Stones vs One Direction). And just today Rolls-Royce won a £6.1 billion contract to supply plane engines.

Are you saying that they are all good things?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good lunch?

Free trade within one of the world’s largest trading blocks as a starter

Its a metaphorical fight – I have a libertarian bias, so the concept of freedom of movement is very appealing. So not sure about “prevent”, more like “allow”

dragon
    Free Member

Personally I think the UK does more good in a lot of those than not. Sure no ones perfect, but compared to the way others run things we are a model to look up to.

bencooper
    Free Member

UKIP and the National Parties just want to blame other people (Immigrants, the English etc), we need less Nationalism in this world, not more.

In Scotland at least, nationalism is all about civic nationalism, not ethnic. It’s not in the slightest about blaming the English – and the fact that some English people insist on seeing it like that says a lot more about them than it does about Scotland.

What’s the SNP’s end plan? I don’t think they have one, any more than Labour or the Tories have an end plan. They used to be a single-issue party the way UKIP are, but now they’re much broader than that, taking over the centre-left ground that Labour abandoned. And who knows from here? If the SNP do well this election, might they stand candidates in the North of England next time?

Scottish independence, at least for me (and I’m not a SNP member) wasn’t an end point, it was a means to an end. there might be other ways to get that same result without full Scottish independence – at the moment I doubt it, but it’s possible.

What I think we’re really moving towards is a more loose coalition of states. The Tories lost Scotland a generation ago, Labour lost Scotland last September, but more importantly the electoral map after May 7th will look very different either side of the border. We are still a Kingdom for the moment, we are very far from being United.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Good lunch?

Free trade within one of the world’s largest trading blocks as a starter

Its a metaphorical fight – I have a libertarian bias, so the concept of freedom of movement is very appealing. So not sure about “prevent”, more like “allow”

Yes, good lunch indeed because I had smoke sprats. I bought them from my local Polish/Eastern European mini supermarket.

Now, you are being “entrepreneurial” …

You want to tell the people how to run their business? Shouldn’t you just let the business people adjust accordingly?

Trade does not simply vanish because we are out of EU you know. If you think investors are going to leg it because we are out of EU then think again.

😯

dazh

but compared to the way others run things we are a model to look up to.

You sound like my dad when he goes on a rant about how all the darkies couldn’t run their own countries after we left them to it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😯 Indeed

No I want people to be free to run their business – 180 degree difference

No it doesn’t – but google pros and cons of trading blocs – any A level revision site will do. We don’t do it just for fun.

Google – Japan, China and US views on UK position in Europe

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ben looking at the voting map don’t you mean urban or metropolitan nationalism? The vote was very, very concentrated

oldbloke
    Free Member

In Scotland at least, nationalism is all about civic nationalism, not ethnic. It’s not in the slightest about blaming the English – and the fact that some English people insist on seeing it like that says a lot more about them than it does about Scotland

Or not. I saw plenty of anti English narrative during the referendum campaign, however I think it is fair to say that it is different things to different people. To some it is about separation or distinction from an English identity. To others it is about celebrating a Scottish identity.

As an Ulsterman, to be accused of being one of those “**** English ********” during that period wasn’t particularly pleasant.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Indeed

No I want people to be free to run their business – 180 degree difference

No it doesn’t – but google pros and cons of trading blocs – any A level revision site will do. We don’t do it just for fun.

Google – Japan, China and US views on UK position in Europe

Of course multinationals (from Japan, China, US etc) want to say something because they are multinationals that want to dominate the trade. They want to monopolise to prevent smaller businesses from emerging. That’s business.

Yes, you can go on about how they create jobs etc but they are experts in business so they should adopt to the changes. But being multinationals and too big to fail they now want to muscle in to influence govt policy?

Ya, right … so you rather let multinational corporations dictate how a country should be run? See you are not really thinking properly aren’t you? Rather inconsistent there with your lefty arguments.

🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blimey, blaming the English is a national sport in Scotland especially in the SNP and during the referendum debate. You hear it day in day out. How could we (the English) think any differently.

dazh

Rather inconsistent there with your lefty arguments.

😀 Bloody communists!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ben looking at the voting map don’t you mean urban or metropolitan nationalism? The vote was very, very concentrated

This, same is true of Labour support in the rest of the UK. Densely populated urban constituencies dominate

chewkw
    Free Member

dazh – Member

Rather inconsistent there with your lefty arguments.

Bloody communists! [/quote]

No, that’s a rather poor communist. Actually not even a communist.

In fact it’s more like him/her being confused of his/her own ideology.

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think I will leave it at the, “really was a good lunch” stage other than…

….yes, they do adapt to changes, so you have answered your own question, albeit in a contradictory manner.

dazh

Anyway, aside from the amusing arguments about whether THM is a raging lefty, this Coalition of Chaos thing is very funny. No doubt someone in tory HQ is feeling very pleased with themselves for thinking up that one. I’m expecting a menacing attack ad any time now with the evil empire theme tune from star wars and Miliband and Sturgeon dressed as the emperor and Darth Vader.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

I think I will leave it at the, “really was a good lunch” stage other than…

….yes, they do adapt to changes, so you have answered your own question, albeit in a contradictory manner.

Jesusss! (pronounce the Spanish way)

If your views are representative of all lefty views you have just played right into the hands of multinationals. Well done. You just help kill off all the small businesses.

😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think there needs to be two

😯 😯

ctk
    Free Member

I say you lot “Debate me! Debate me! Just you and me!”

ctk – Member
    The funniest thing from the Debate was Ed saying “Debate me, debate me David, just me and you”
    What is that?

That person is definitely Not a PM quality.

EEewwww … “debate me, debate me …” Crikey …

Ya, from now on I shall call him Mr Debate Me, Debate me or Mr Debate me x2.

Ah my memory of what he said wasn’t perfect. Second clip down on this page is what he actually says. “Debate me one on one” X

Debate me x

epicsteve
    Free Member

UKIP and the National Parties just want to blame other people (Immigrants, the English etc), we need less Nationalism in this world, not more.

Ok some of the SNP support will of course be anti-English (just as much of the hatred of the SNP comes from people who are themselves anti-Scots) however it’s a fallacy to think it’s an England v Scotland thing. In fact for many/most people it’s about a lack of representation from Westminster and I’m sure many other parts of the UK (including parts of England that are themselves distant from Westminster) feel the same way.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If your views are representative of all lefty views you have just played right into the hands of multinationals.

Yes THM is a typical multinational-loving lefty. And who hates small businesses of course.

Anyway Chewwy can you expand on why the Green Party is out of touch with reality and why UKIP is the only sensible choice?

😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

I know its a bit one dimensional but some of those distant from Westminster who feel they are not represented need to understand how much money Westminster (which is made up of MPs from through the UK remember) sends their way in terms of Government jobs, NHS, infrastruture spending, welfare etc

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..need to understand how much money Westminster (which is made up of MPs from through the UK remember) sends their way in terms of Government jobs, NHS, infrastruture spending, welfare etc

I put it down to the extortionate parking charges in Westminster, no wonder it’s awash with money.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I know its a bit one dimensional but some of those close to Westminster who feel they are representing us need to understand how much money people outside Westminster (which is made up of MPs from through the UK remember) sends their way in terms of Government jobs, NHS, infrastruture spending, welfare etc.

There are 60 odd million people in the UK – less than a quarter of those live in London…

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Yes THM is a typical multinational-loving lefty. And who hates small businesses of course.

I think he is just too idealistic. Aahhh bless him/her … 😆

Anyway Chewwy can you expand on why the Green Party is out of touch with reality and why UKIP is the only sensible choice?

Not sure why but the other day I was strangely attracted to Caroline Lucas for few minutes not sure why. I feel dirty and shame thinking about it.

Why I think Green Party is out of touch? I just think they are thinking too big i.e. trying to save the world and all that …

I prefer UKIP because they present a view that big is not necessary beautiful i.e. EU, and that we should have more control of our border which makes sense.

Those are just my views and you can explore that in details if you wish but for me that’s enough.

😛

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think he is just too idealistic. Aahhh bless him/her …

Yep, a typical head-in-the-clouds lefty.

And the Green Party is just too ambitious and needs to be like small thinking UKIP?

We need to squash big ideas and think small.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    We need to squash big ideas and think small.

Yeap. It’s easier to change yourself rather than to change the world.

Bloody hell I think I have a wisdom! 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s easier to change yourself rather than to change the world

Never a truer word spoken.

And if at first you don’t succeed try and try again, then quit. There’s no point being a damn fool about it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Walks home whistling the “Red Flag” 😉

Have a good weekend all!

dazh

Even being a bit biased, I’d say this pretty much hits the nail on the head on the current state of play. No doubt the tories will say the change in campaign themes was planned but it really does look like they’re making it up on the hoof and I don’t think that’s going to translate into votes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

From the above link :

Axelrod – who is said to be earning £300,000 to give his advice

………He is due to return to Britain on 26 April for the campaign run-in.

Labour Party politicians are so incapable of selling Labour policies, and their vision of Britain to the British people, that they have to give staggering amounts of money to a foreigner who has no vote and doesn’t even live here to do it for them.

The vast bulk of money in the Labour Party’s coffers comes from pennies collected in the form of the political levy from ordinary working people’s trade union subs.

Ed Miliband thinks it’s a good idea to give almost a third of a million pounds of it to a wealthy American in return for doing a job which apparently requires such a light touch that the man with the Wild West name won’t even need to be in the country until just 10 days before the general election.

Perhaps since senior Labour politicians are clearly incapable without outside help of one of the basic requirements that comes with the job, ie, “convincing people and winning elections”, they could use the services of Mr Axelrod to help them run the country should they win the general election?

After all it makes sense that the man who helped them run their general election campaign should also help them run the country. He could pop over for a few days at a time to see how they are getting on and return home with suitcases of presumably tax-free cash.

I can understand this sort of bollocks from the Conservative Party as it deals with the perennial conundrum of how it get ordinary working people to vote for them – someone with the marketing skills to get people to buy things which they neither need nor want obviously has something useful to offer them.

But for the Labour Party to rely on these tactics really speaks volumes on how the party has evolved. There really is no discernible difference between the two parties. Such is the legacy of Tony Blair.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Or the legacy of those who vote…..?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You think “those who vote” are happy with the state of British politics and the choices they have?

What do you think all this talk about hung parliaments, minority governments, and coalitions, is all about?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who mentioned happy? I was talking about your point on legacy.

It’s about folk wanting the debt filled mirage of growth to continue and being unhappy with those (who will ultimately exercise authority) who note that it cannot. Another legacy of those who vote.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who mentioned happy?

So people aren’t happy with the state of British politics? Well here’s something we can both agree with.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Watched David Cameron on the AM show this morning. First time I’ve seen Marr in “attack dog” mode being bested. Cameron kept calm, kept his head and controlled the interview to his advantage. Marr was made to look like a shouty nitwit. Impressive.

If keeping calm under pressure is a leadership requirement, Sten 10, then.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes watched Marr for first time in years this morning and after my Cameron comments earlier. For the first time, he sounded like a true PM this election and handled the difficult points pretty well. May be the tide might just turn – the 23 seats point was quite compelling.

Nice to see Vince wheeled out at last too.

dazh

Whilst I share the distaste in the labour party dishing out huge amounts of cash to Axelrod, and question the value of doing so, I question why they should need to restrict themselves in their campaigning effort when they’re opponents are given free reign. I’ve got no problem with the labour party using whatever tactics they deem necessary as long as the policies are not also watered down (which they are of course, but that’s a different debate). In the face of the tories peddling brazen lies, misinformation, and basically re-writing history, I’ve often thought the labour party should be taking a leaf out of their book.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,563 total)

The topic ‘Election Campaign’ is closed to new replies.